SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Cleaning MPX piston
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning MPX piston Login/Join 
posted
How often or after how many rounds do you pull the barrel off & remove the piston and tappet cor cleaning?

Posts: 2273 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Following. Curious on when to do this.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't tell you and as far as I can see Sig doesn't seem to say in the manual. But I've been running my MPX in near weekly matches since I got it and waiting to see what actually causes it to degrade or stop running. I have not touched those parts just under 5K rounds. This post may make me take it apart and see how messy it really is.
I have kept the bolt, carrier, op rod and all those reciprocating parts cleaned and well lubricated about every 1K rounds or so, and generally give a small squirt on the bolt etc. if I think its looking dry before a match. SO far the gun has been completely reliable.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use shit tula, wolf, brownbear ammo in my mpx. I clean it about every 500 to 750 rounds.

When i first got it, i would have issues every 100 rounds or so for the first 1k. Since then, the mags have relaxed, the whole gun has been broken in. It now just ticks along.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to note this, I have been running this gun indoors (winter up here) and since I had a lead scare a few years ago my MPX has only run lead free ammo. That ammo in my experience is exceptionally clean especially compared to the stuff DSgrouse is using.

posted Hide Post
Some recommendation from SIG would be nice. More out of curiosity than for any functional issues, I pulled the gas value & tappet out at about 500 rounds. Most of that was Federal Am Eagle 115g & some home brew using CFE Pistol. It was tough to get the gas valve out but a little lube fixed that. Keeping the parts wet with MPro-7 for about 15 minutes loosened most of the baked-on residue. There is no indication these parts should be lubed so I but it back together dry. Based on this one experience I think I'll make this scheduled maintenance after every 1k or so (I am not using a suppressor), but from hrcjon's comments it clearly can go a lot longer.

Posts: 2273 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a week off between the indoor and outdoor seasons so I plan to pull mine apart this week. I'll post what I find. I bet it will be dirty based on the above.
j

posted Hide Post
My pistol has a good 3k of brown bear through it (binary trigger) and I've not even looked at the piston.

Ugh, might be a bit of a mess.

Posts: 221 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post