SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Winchester Model 1873 looking good at 133 years old.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 1873 looking good at 133 years old. Login/Join 
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted
Cody Letter came back showing it as entered warehouse April 14, 1887 and shipped out September 15, 1887. The original owner “personalized” it as you can see, unfortunately. My son wonders if possibly that was Texas Ranger WJL Sullivan. Seems quite a stretch to me but it’s his time to waste if he pursues it.

upload image file

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love it! I have the new version from Miroku.

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2339 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
That is all kinds of awesome.

As an aside 133 years later and I would be perfectly comfortable armed with that. That says something about a design.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
What cartridge is it chambered for?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
What cartridge is it chambered for?

.44-40

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
ive got the Uberti copy in .38/357. a guy localish to me has a beautiful example for sale. made in 1890, chambered in .32-20

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
.44-40

Quite a coincidence: I saw a box of 44-40 at a store today.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
That's truly gorgeous

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:

Quite a coincidence: I saw a box of 44-40 at a store today.

Cool, and thanks. I just looked online and was surprised to see so many places carry it. I guess Cowboy Action Shooting has given a boost to sales and increased availability of the caliber.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very cool! I've always wanted to own an 1873...maybe someday I'll get a clone. Having one of that vintage is really awesome, and even with the "personalization" it appears to be in excellent shape.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Beauty!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a classic! If the "personalization" is off putting, call Turnbull Restorations.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If the personalization was done by the original owner (do we really know that?), I wouldn’t fret about it. It’s just part of the gun’s history like a scratch on the barrel or ding on the stock.

When it’s time for it to be passed on, someone else can decide if it needs to be repaired.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
What a classic! If the "personalization" is off putting, call Turnbull Restorations.

I just finished reading an article about Turnbull where they reworked an old 1873. Looking at the before and after photos it's hard to believe it was the same rifle. They're not cheap, but damn!

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
That's awesome. Love it.

I also have the Miroku version in 357. Lever guns are just fun to shoot.

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the personalization was done by the original owner (do we really know that?), I wouldn’t fret about it. It’s just part of the gun’s history like a scratch on the barrel or ding on the stock.

When it’s time for it to be passed on, someone else can decide if it needs to be repaired.

My dad bought it when he needed something to join friends for a deer hunt in the early 1930’s. The “engraving” was already there but it was used and cosmetics weren’t a concern for the purpose. He took it hunting a couple times early on but since the 40’s it’s only been handled for occasional inspection and wipe down other than one shot in 1963. It was overkill for the squirrel that was trying to eat our roof but it shut up 8yr old me who really wanted to see it go bang.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
"Bustamonte, I hate you"

(Perhaps too obscure a reference for the yoots of today.) Wink Bustamonte

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
OMG that is beautiful...

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Pawn shop in town who is also my FFL has a nice selection of antique lever actions. I purposely try not to look at them when I'm in there and he purposely insists on showing them to me.

A personalized 1873 like that one would be more than I could resist. When history and guns come together it's magical.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lets clear up a few things about the 1873 Winchester.

First, that receiver was originally Flame Colored, NOT BLUED.

Second, there isn't any hint of oxidation in those scratches. So those scratches are less that 10 years old and likely were done less than 3 years ago. The sideplates in the white, that was likely done between 10 and 20 years ago but environmental factors such as humidity could throw that way off.

Sadly there is no value of this rifle as a collectable. At this point I would be thinking about sending the Barrel and Receiver to Ford's for a proper refinish and start soaking that wood in acetone to draw out all those years of oil. From what I can see of the grain in that butt stock it would make for a rather pretty rifle. Note, all I would do to the stock and forearm is to draw out all the old oil hiding the features of that wood and apply a fresh coat or three of tung oil. I would not try to sand out any dents or do any filling on the stock, this is an old rifle with many years of use and it deserves to look it's age.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post