SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    9mm AR Pistols - Colt Stick Mag Versions
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm AR Pistols - Colt Stick Mag Versions Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
if the PSA are picky, time to get something else.

That’s just it, I don’t know enough about them to know if they are.
I know some folks who went with the Glock mag lowers had issues when using uppers that didn’t have BCGs designed for Glock mags.
But my knowledge is pretty limited where AR9s are concerned.
Given that the Colt style mag setup was the original style I kinda figured most quality uppers would run just fine.
But I don’t actually know that for sure and really don’t want issues if they can be averted.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
I too waited a long time for the PSA Colt sytle lowers to come back in stock.
Last spring, I bought two complete 10.5" AR9's and one lower from PSA.
I was trying to build an AR9 for my gun club's PCC steel competition.

The first one ran flawlessly:

However, that combination of barrel and handguard made the pistol excessively front front heavy. PSA's 10.5" barrel is a chunky piece of steel! It didn't swing well between targets.
I also hated that KAK brace as it moved around every few shots. It dug into my shoulder with every shot.
I must say though, that there is a healthy velocity increase with the 10.5" barrel over your average handgun.

The second one jammed frequently and mangled brass. PSA sent me a call tag and I shipped it off to them. They did fix it and sent it back, after which it ran well too.
I sold the two 10.5" AR9's and built up the lower I had left.

I used a Spinta Precision 7" stainless CHF barrel.
I added a Spinta BCG, a Spinta linear compensator and an Armaspec SRS-9 captured recoil spring.
The upper is a CMMG upper that I picked up when Primary Arms had a great deal on it.
The 7.5" MLOK handguard is their AR-Stoner brand from Midway USA. The SBA-3 brace works very well compared to the KAK brace.
Magazines are Metalform.
I added an ALG Combat trigger.
This one runs extremely well, is reasonably quiet and lightweight.
It also swings well between targets. It has run everything from my light steel shooting rounds, Russian Steel cased (Tulammo) to several brands of self defense hollow point rounds. I've even run the execrable Winchester steel cased crap with no issues.

One thing to keep in mind when building an AR9 is that there is no barrel extension.
So say you buy a 7" barrel; only 6.5 inches will stick out the front of the upper receiver.
Keep that in mind when buying a handguard or else your handguard will be too long.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Anderson MIL Spec lower with a PSA LPK, AERO assembled upper, and all the rest is Foxtrot Mike components. I run the MEAN Arms Endomag for 9mm. It has been flawless through 500 rounds. I cannot speak highly enough of FM Products 8.5" lightweight barrel, BCG, and buffer components.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ordered the PSA AR9 Colt Lower a week ago, received UPS notification that it was delivered to my local FFL today. Hope to pick it up in the next few days.

Also signed up for a "notify me" email for one of the PSA 8" upper assemblies. Did not receive an email yet, but was just browsing their site and saw that they now have an 8" upper in stock. Just placed my order for one of those.

https://palmettostatearmory.co...er-with-bcg-ch1.html

Anxious to get it put together. Still need to order some mags. I plan to put a Romeo 5 on it that I've had laying around. If this works okay and it turns out to be a "keeper", I may likely SBR it.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merc50:
Ordered the PSA AR9 Colt Lower a week ago, received UPS notification that it was delivered to my local FFL today. Hope to pick it up in the next few days.

Also signed up for a "notify me" email for one of the PSA 8" upper assemblies. Did not receive an email yet, but was just browsing their site and saw that they now have an 8" upper in stock. Just placed my order for one of those.

Anxious to get it put together. Still need to order some mags. I plan to put a Romeo 5 on it that I've had laying around. If this works okay and it turns out to be a "keeper", I may likely SBR it.

I’m going the opposite route. Have a factory CMMG SBR that is a great shooter, but I’m ditching it for a 9mm AR pistol. Just don’t want to deal with he NFA travel restrictions. YMMV

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
That upper looks perfect to me. I’m considering one for my SBR’d lower for use with an Endomag. What buffers do you guys recommend for AR9 use?

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
That upper looks perfect to me. I’m considering one for my SBR’d lower for use with an Endomag. What buffers do you guys recommend for AR9 use?

Rock River 9mm buffer in mine with no issues.
Pretty sure I got mine from USAGold in the classifieds here but I have not seen him post in quite awhile.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am waiting on my last bitz from brownells. After that i will put the fm products ar9 <glock mag> together.

I can post a pick of the lower if you want.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:

Foxtrot Mike's

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
colt. easily available and the most proven.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sourkraut:
quote:
Originally posted by Merc50:

I’m going the opposite route. Have a factory CMMG SBR that is a great shooter, but I’m ditching it for a 9mm AR pistol. Just don’t want to deal with he NFA travel restrictions. YMMV

I hear you on the out of state travel and NFA paperwork for the SBR. I have been considering a hog hunt later this year, and while my .300 Blk SBR would appear suitable with the correct loads, traveling thru multiple states to get to the destination, or the risk of packing as a declared item in a checked bag if flying, does add one more level of complexity.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I ordered two PSA PA9 lowers.
I’m waiting for one of their 8” uppers to come back in stock (missed out on this last batch).
I did order a 4.75” barreled, 4” YHM upper from Mas Defense .
It wouldn’t close on the PSA lower due to the height of the PSA feed ramp.
After reworking & polishing the feed ramp & other metal on metal contact points it went together like butter.
Ran 200rds thru it today to function check it.
No issues whatsoever, but I’d forgotten my gloves & at 33° I didn’t hangout long.
:15 and I was on my way home.
I’m going to wait on the PSA upper & see how they mate up to their lowers.
The 4.75” is super compact but I’m really looking forward to the longer set up.
I’m awaiting delivery of another SBA3.

Set up at 25yrds

Ran cheap ammo looking for issues

At 21” it makes my 7.5” 5.56 look fairly big

Makes a 16” look Huuuge.
4.75”, 7.5”, 10.5” & 16”

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Anyone have experience with ASC 9mm stick mags ?
I have three brands (or will when the ASC arrive).
Metalform
Brownells
ASC
Anyone have opinions on how these compare to each other in your experience?
I noticed that the Metalform mags seem to not hold the rounds as securely as the Brownell mags.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

posted Hide Post
I have not had good luck with the ASC mags. But they were way cheaper so I have some and tolerate the failure rate. I've never had any issues with a metalform mag. I only have a few brownells that I got on sale and they have been fine, but normally they are the same price as metalform so wouldn't normally buy them. You didn't mention them but there are some plastic mags and they are all junk no matter who's name is on them.

posted Hide Post
I did some research on different brands this last week and ended up buying a 3-pack from Brownells for $70. I saw good reviews on them and decided to give them a shot. I'm attending the IWA show this weekend, so they will be waiting on me when I get home.

Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
I have half a dozen ASC Mags running on a factory CMMG SBR and have never had a malfunction.

Inserting a fully loaded mag on a closed bolt, however, is sometimes difficult.

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just for perspective on ASC. I have a more than a few that I use for our local steel matches which is 16 mags (4 runs/4 mags ea.) so I can load them at home rather than the range. Using a factory colt 9mm AR I have never made it through all 16 mags without an issue. As I said I tolerate this on days when score is not important to me as it teaches you failure management. But when score is important I run metalform.

posted Hide Post
My ASC's have been dead nuts reliable.

Posts: 24 | Registered: January 09, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
After finishing my Pistol my partner at work dropped off two 9mm lowers and a box of parts for assembly .
He also had an SBA3 that he wanted installed.
I really liked it so I just took xl_targets advice and added one to my AR9.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Looking good, Grumpy!

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post