SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    IWI's New ARAD Rifle. Short Stroke Piston AR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IWI's New ARAD Rifle. Short Stroke Piston AR Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted
Looks like IWI is jumping on the piston bandwagon. They don't say if this will be released for commercial sale but I bet it will eventually. I'm curious how the caliber change is accomplished.

"HIGHLY & RELIABLE MODULAR BATTLE RIFLE

IWI ARAD Assault Rifle is designed for Infantry use, Special units and Law Enforcement units.

IWI ARAD is especially intended for all kinds of combat scenarios with it’s ability to change calibers.

IWI ARAD is equipped with a picatinny rail to enable the use of a variety of optics and other attachments. The picatinny rail is an integral part of the upper receiver of the rifle. In addition, M-LOK rails at the 3, 6 and 9 o’clock positions along the handguard. It includes a telescopic buttstock which allows the users to adjust the length individually for their particular needs.
The modular structure of the rifle enables the user to easily dismantle and replace the barrel. The weapon is fully ambidextrous with controls on both sides of the rifle.

IWI ARAD Assault Rifle is a short stroke gas piston operated, with a regulator which allows constant operation in all environmental conditions"

https://iwi.net/arad/

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'm willing to believe it when I see it, but so far the ability to change calibers is either a line of BS in an ad or a euphemism for "different uppers will be available". Seriously, any number of companies promise a quick caliber change capacity but I've never seen it actually offered by anyone except Windham and its $2000+ kits.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the hole by the magwell looks exactly like the one i have on my tavor for the barrel removal tool. seems like they un-bullpup'd a tavor barrel assembly to mate to an ar lower. im sure there will be some interest in it. even the gas block looks familiar. anyway..hopefully their caliber conversion is not too much worse than a tavor, and hopefully all parts set to a competitive price point.

Posts: 774 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
In my opinin the only true "quick change" barrel is the Steyr AUG. I really wish they would import the STM 556, basically their AR with the AUG barrel/piston system.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Agreed, +1. Btw, Love my Tavor
quote:
Originally posted by alteon180e:
the hole by the magwell looks exactly like the one i have on my tavor for the barrel removal tool. seems like they un-bullpup'd a tavor barrel assembly to mate to an ar lower. im sure there will be some interest in it. even the gas block looks familiar. anyway..hopefully their caliber conversion is not too much worse than a tavor, and hopefully all parts set to a competitive price point.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
I'm willing to believe it when I see it, but so far the ability to change calibers is either a line of BS in an ad or a euphemism for "different uppers will be available". Seriously, any number of companies promise a quick caliber change capacity but I've never seen it actually offered by anyone except Windham and its $2000+ kits.

The LMT MRP system allows you to swap between 5.56 DI, 5.56 piston, .300 BO and 6.8 SPC in the small bore, and in the large bore, .308, .338 Fed, .243, and a bunch of others.

Posts: 4449 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup and for a time Spikes was making .22 and 9mm MRP barrels, really wish I'd gotten a .22 one.

I have 16" 5.56 piston, 16" 5.56 stainless and a 10.5" 5.56 barrel for mine. Swapping takes less than a minute. That said, 99% of the time it's an SBR.

This one looks good, but the design is very mature, not sure there is much improvement or innovation to be had in the M16/AR15 space anymore.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alteon180e:

I broke 2 screwdrivers before I bought the tool for the barrel lock! I lubs me some IWI, I just wish I could afford 1 of each! Or 2!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
In my opinin the only true "quick change" barrel is the Steyr AUG. I really wish they would import the STM 556, basically their AR with the AUG barrel/piston system.

^^^^^^^^^^
Ditto this

I was looking forward to SiG's offering conversion kits of the XI ... I bought a 7.62x39 Pistol thinking I could get a 223/5.56 conversion. It does have a barrel nut similar to an AR which is easily accessible but it was just marketing hype.

The barrel on my Bushmaster ACR is almost as easy to remove as my AUG (in that it does not require tools) but to the best of my knowledge they never came out with anything ... I was really hoping for a 300BO Frown
There was an individual making a conversion but it was nearly the price of a complete ACR

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

The LMT MRP system allows you to swap between 5.56 DI, 5.56 piston, .300 BO and 6.8 SPC in the small bore, and in the large bore, .308, .338 Fed, .243, and a bunch of others.

To me, quick caliber change means no tool required. Unless things have changed, the LMT MRP does require you to lug around their heavy Torx wrench, if you want "quick" barrel change.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post