SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Benchmark Barrels ... delivery is 13 weeks out! UPDATE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benchmark Barrels ... delivery is 13 weeks out! UPDATE Login/Join 
Picture of kimberkid
posted
Well I finally ordered one for my SiG SSG 3000 in 6.5 Creedmoor as I can't ... or shouldn't shoot the 308 due to Osteoporosis. I figure with my suppressor it should be pretty tame.

I asked her if they were just that busy and she said they have added cryo-freezing to their process which has added a couple weeks to their delivery time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kimberkid,

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Worth the wait...

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of demand for a reason.

Posts: 12575 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, quality barrels that aren't in stock can take awhile.

Last season I won a certificate in a match for a carbon-wrapped Proof Research barrel. The cert expired on 12/31/17 -- I kept stalling and didn't make my decision until late December. My barrel is scheduled to be delivered in late March.

Your Benchmark should be a shooter.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Thirteen weeks sure went by quickly ... seems like its only been 4.125 weeks since I ordered it

UPS DELIVERY IS TOMORROW!!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
UPS DELIVERY IS TOMORROW!!!

Christmas presents!
The Easter bunny brought chocolate!
Birthday cake time!
A slurpee in July!

My Proof barrel is still a few weeks out. Still in the queue for the 'smith to rebarrel my AR15. I did push patches down a barrel last week.... Wah.

The UPS delivery dudes rule.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
So what do yo have to proof Wink

I have to admidt, I don't know what the term means unless you are going to load some Proof rounds ... as I understand they are very hot?
---------------------
My 6.5 did arrived today ... all I had time to do was un-box it ... on the outside, its beautiful!

posted Hide Post
Sorry for the lack of clarity. At one of last year's rifle matches, my prize was a certificate for a free carbon-fiber-wrapped stainless steel barrel from the company known as Proof Research. I waffled for months as to whether I would sell the cert or use it. My options included bolt action or AR platforms, to be chambered in a wide variety of calibers. At year end I decided to order a .223 barrel for a bolt action precision rifle. It will likely take me a year or two to accumulate all the components for the build.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Just curious, why did you choose 223 over something like one of the 6 or 6.5 chamberings?

What twist and bullet weight are you planning on?

Distance?

Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Fritz, I can drive up and check on it's progress and have an excuse to visit some gun crank buds in Kalispell. Part of my old stomping ground you might say. Their carbon barrels are nice!

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
Just curious, why did you choose 223 over something like one of the 6 or 6.5 chamberings?

What twist and bullet weight are you planning on?

Distance?

I already have a 6.5 Creed, which is my primary competition rifle. A 6 would be an option, however I'm only interested in a Dasher. It looks like it will be awhile before factory loaded Dasher ammo hits the market. By then I probably would convert my 308 to Dasher.

From what I can see, the top steel match shooters have low-recoiling trainer rifles to practice with. Often 22lr or PCP air rifles. It makes sense to me to have a precision 223 rifle that will be built almost exactly like my bigger rifles -- stock, action, trigger, scope, overall dimensions. The carbon fiber wrapped Proof Research barrel will be a little lighter than my current steel barrels, however.

My practice area's primary shooting stations are set up very well for steel at 200 through 800 yards, with vehicle or foot access to stations and targets. When I'm willing to hump targets, 900 to 1300 yards options are available. I figure the 223 bolt action is just fine to 800 yards, as I regularly shoot my 223 ARs at 500-700 yards. Preferred factory ammo is Hornady 73 ELDM. After that, Hornady 75 HPBT and Federal GMM 69.

The barrel will be 24" long, 1/8 twist, match .223 chamber. It will have Proof's Sendero profile, which tapers to .93" at the muzzle.

I find myself shooting 223 AR-15s more and more, especially when I'm practicing the non-prone positions that are so common in PRS-type matches. Furthermore, the lower recoil of the 223 just doesn't beat me up on 100+ round afternoons of shooting. I'm certain you understand this.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
My practice area's primary shooting stations are set up very well for steel at 200 through 800 yards, with vehicle or foot access to stations and targets. When I'm willing to hump targets, 900 to 1300 yards options are available. I figure the 223 bolt action is just fine to 800 yards, as I regularly shoot my 223 ARs at 500-700 yards. Preferred factory ammo is Hornady 73 ELDM. After that, Hornady 75 HPBT and Federal GMM 69.

The barrel will be 24" long, 1/8 twist, match .223 chamber. It will have Proof's Sendero profile, which tapers to .93" at the muzzle.

I find myself shooting 223 AR-15s more and more, especially when I'm practicing the non-prone positions that are so common in PRS-type matches. Furthermore, the lower recoil of the 223 just doesn't beat me up on 100+ round afternoons of shooting. I'm certain you understand this.

<SNIP>
I understand and I'm jealous ... I have to shoot across a corn field if I want to shoot over 200 yards ... and over a stream and pond to shoot over 300!

I'm shooting a lot more 22 and 223. Some 7.62x39 just for fun when I need a more of a thump. I do miss shooting the 308.

The season is warming up so I can shoot the 6.5 AR and now SSG at 300-500. Other than sighting it in, I can't see shooting it at 200 yards or less, its just a waste. At the farm I can shoot from late winter (~April) until the corn gets too high, which is about the end of June; July and August are too hot anyway!

Although I was really looking forward to it I cancelled the Brownell's AR-10 as it back-ordered and no estimate when it'll be available ... I figured at best it'll be 2 years before I can shoot it and I don't need $1,700 hitting my credit card unexpectedly ... and there are a couple reports of loose handguards on the Brownells AR-15 clones which make me suspicious of quality control ... I don't want to be a beta-tester at retail prices!

posted Hide Post
I think you made a wise choice to cancel your AR-10 order. There will be other opportunities.

The range at our ranch is an amazing opportunity. The ranch has been in our family for a few generations and we're trying hard to hold on to it. I spend much more time working on it than shooting. The latest task is improving the perimeter barb wire fence, as one of the cows got out last fall -- we lease the pasture for grazing. I guess it took the cattle owner awhile to track down the heifer.

What's the ETA for your rifle being ready to put lead down range?

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
My day off is to tomorrow, it's the same length & twist as my 6.5 AR so I'm hoping to get it out in the afternoon and sight it In at 200 ... The gun gods willing!

I couldn't sleep, so I got up and changed out the barrel, it took all of 15 minutes including finding the page in the manual. It's really easy, maybe not as quick as a Savage or a RemAge for that matter but now that I've done it I'm sure I could do it under 10 Wink as it turns out, the factory flashhider is timed perfectly to line up too!

I've got bullets out, brass prepped and my Dillon 550 ready to roll ... But for now I'm headed to bed again now that I've got that off my mind!

And I'm taking Jack Creedmoor along so I can compare them.