SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Hopefully I'm in the right place. Bipod suggestions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hopefully I'm in the right place. Bipod suggestions Login/Join 
posted
Hi folks,
New to the forums and I apologize if I should be asking this in another section. I'm a bit green, but will soon educate myself to the point where I don't need to ask simple questions, but for the meantime, I'm reaching out. I've recently purchased a 2017 M400 Elite and would like to add a bipod. Can someone steer me in the correct direction. I know I need M lock, but that's about it! The majority of my time will be at the range.
Thanks in advance for any help that comes my way.

Posts: 5 | Registered: October 16, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I've got a GGG XD and an Atlas. Atlas all the way! It's expensive, but worth every penny.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
The majority of my time will be at the range.

Seated at the shooting bench or on the ground prone?

Harris is at the low end and will serve well as a starter. You can always move up.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys,
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Gary I will be seated. Tony, as far as the Atlas goes, will I need an adapter for the M lock or do they make one that's direct fit. Again sorry for the simple questions.
Tommy

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
If seated at the bench, why use a bipod at all? Use a shooting bag.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommygunz:
I will be seated.
as far as the Atlas goes, will I need an adapter for the M lock

The firmer the surface one is shooting from, the greater the advantage the Atlas over other bipods. Hard and/or slick surfaces are notorious for producing bipod hop with less experienced shooters. The Atlas has some slack in the legs, which allows the shooter to "load" the bipod prior to breaking the shot. As the gun moves to the rear during the recoil cycle, the movement is absorbed in the slack of the legs, and thus the bipod's feet can stay solidly planted in the same place -- thus reducing/eliminating bipod hop.

Most bipods have solidly fixed legs -- such as a Harris. Shooting a Harris without bipod hop from a bench is a very advanced technique.

I believe Atlas bipods do have have M-lok adapters, thus you will need to find an M-lok to picatinny adapter.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I know they are expensive...But I really prefer the ATLAS for my LR and AR rifles. Buy once, cry once.

IF You don't like it...easily sold for $20 less than retail on most any gun site.

The HARRIS bipods are OK too. But the ATLAS is SOLID.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Totally understand, but my range doesn't offer one, plus carrying that along with my other gear is a bit much. But thanks for the suggestion.
quote:
Originally posted by Tommygunz:
Hi Guys,
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Gary I will be seated. Tony, as far as the Atlas goes, will I need an adapter for the M lock or do they make one that's direct fit. Again sorry for the simple questions.
Tommy

Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
I don't normally buy anything made by UTG, but for a rifle that only sees the range, I bought one from UTG. It is heavy, but wasn't expensive.
This is the one:
http://www.primaryarms.com/lea...bipod-57-8-tl-bpdm01

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got Atlas and Harris.

The Atlas is built like a brick SH*&house and can lock in multiple positions that the Harris can't. You pay for quality. For mounting one, I'd use an aluminum PIC rail section like this one from Daniels defense. You might actually need a slightly longer one (BCM makes 3 and 4 inch versions), my rifles have quad rails on them, so I don't worry as much about length.

The Harris isn't as solid as the ATLAS IMHO, but it's good enough for government work (literally). There are a lot more models in the Harris catalogue then the ATLAS one, so read the descriptions careful. There are several different heights, leg lock mechanisms and other options. the ones I am familiar with use sling swivel mounts so you would need an adapter like this one from harris or this one from daniels defense. However, some harris bipods can be purchased set up for a PIC rail and then you would use the same mount as the atlas above.

I agree with the above suggestion to use a bag. You can use your range bag or backpack as a shooting bag, just watch the muzzle.

Posts: 4585 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new rifle, looks like a nice one.

I own several Atlas, Harris, and a few other generic bipods. Atlas is the best, but I honestly would not spend the money on an Atlas for your new M400.

Since you said you are relatively new you still have a lot to learn, and spending $200-$300 on a bipod is probably not a great use of your money right now.

For getting started and trying to understand what you really need for accessories I would just buy this UTG bipod:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If your rifle doesn't come with any Picatinny rail pieces you just need something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Magpul-...ords=m-lok+picatinny

Get a good rear bean bag like this one:

https://www.triadtactical.com/...c-Gear-Rear-Bag.html

Then spend the rest on decent ammo to see how well your M400 shoots. I have used that same UTG bipod for years on my Sig 516 and it does just fine for a typical AR15 shooting from the bench. I think you have a long way to go before an inexpensive bipod holds you back.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Buy once, cry once.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post