SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Thoughts on a Ruger PC40 Carbine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on a Ruger PC40 Carbine Login/Join 
Picture of taco68
posted
Have been very interested in these carbines, both the 9 and 40. Now, I have an opportunity to pick up one of these . I know the 40 is kinda getting lost out there. But, I currently have three Glocks, approx. twenty magazines and 2k in 40 ammo.

So, does anyone have any experience with the 40SW. Not asking about the PC9. There are enough posts on these already. Thanks for the help good folks!!

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not own one personally (yet) but a co-worker at my last agency had one and I fell in love with it. I shot about a thousand rounds through it of every type of ammo and it never hiccuped one time.

I don't think my co-worker ever cleaned it, and if he did it was to wipe a dirty oily rag down the barrel and he shot it pretty regular. This was pretty unusual for him since he was very OCD about his weapons and gear but he wanted to see how far he could push it before it bogged down.

His was the older model which to me looked more like an M-1 Carbine.

When I get our bills situated I am thinking about picking one up in .40. I bought a Glock 22 off an individual in VA a few years ago and as part of the package and he included eight magazines with it.

The other half bought a house out in the country and I think the carbine would be a nice addition to use against predators, wounded deer etc..

I have always thought this carbine would be a nice addition to my patrol vehicle especially when I worked the urban areas. Team the carbine up with a nice Aimpoint Comp M5, Meopata or small EOTECH and I think I would be well armed.

The only reason I have not bought one before now is because I had no where to really shoot one and I was working five to six days a week 10+ hours or more at the Medical Examiners Office.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an older PC40 and got rid of it when I got out of 40S&W. Dead nuts reliable and made it a 50 to 75 yard caliber. Cons. built like a tank. I mean ROBUST. But that meant it was heavy as HELL. I mean, very heavy for what it was. Not for me. Perhaps the new ones are lighter...?

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Don’t forget that you can now get extended factory Glock .40 caliber magazines now that accept 22 rounds.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m on my 2nd one. The first one I bought did nothing but jam and double feed with Glock mags, never tried Ruger’s since I bought it to go with my G22/27. 400 rounds of assorted FMJ with 179 jams, and no rhyme or reason to them. Sent it back to Ruger who replaced the extractor and springs with a note saying they put 150 rounds through it without issue. I took it to the range and had 17 jams in 50 rounds. So I took it back to the store I bought it from via Gun Genie and had it exchanged for a new one.

Now, I have nothing but great things to say about Ruger (named my dog after them) and Gun Genies lifetime warranty. But I obviously got a lemon, it happens.

So the new one has 200 rounds through it now? 10/15 round mags work, but 22 round mag doesn’t. I just bought a MCARBO extractor and pin set which the reviews and Ruger Forum say will fix that....haven’t had the chance to get out right now with the apocalypse and all.

But, I love the gun, lots of fun and good for HD for a recoil sensitive wife. If I can only get the 22 round mag to work it will be perfect!

Posts: 286 | Location: Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Road goes on forever
and the Party never ends
Picture of Dyingtime
posted Hide Post
They’re solid pistol caliber carbine’s and I went to My gun shop And they have plenty of ammo So I would recommend them

" The Road goes on forever and the Party never ends"

Posts: 3297 | Location: Blairsville Georgia | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
Well, I picked one up in the 40sw and finally had a chance to shoot it last evening. Sorry, no pics yet! This thing is fun. Never used peep sights before, so this was a little challenging. I shot approx. fifty rounds total of Fed American 165, PMC brass 165, and Freedom Munitions reman 165. Didn't want to use my good defensive stuff! They all shot the same relative grouping. Once I learned how to use the sights, then it was on the money, all at 25 yards. Going to put a Romeo 5 on there next and call it good.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post