SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    An Idjits Guide to Scary Black Rifles
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An Idjits Guide to Scary Black Rifles Login/Join 
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
I agree with IndianaBoy -- red dot or low powered variable all the way.

Agree, except that I make all my beginners shoot about 10 rounds of iron-sight only early on.

It's the rifle version of when your dad made you mow the lawn with a push-mower the first time, so you'd "appreciate the difference."

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LDD -- valid point, and I agree.

Except that I got to mow the entire 1/2 acre with a push mower many, many times. Once would have been enough...

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Work goes nuts, I disappear for a couple of days and return to a wealth of information! Thank you so much for ALL of the input! That's Sigforum at it's finest!

Palmetto seems to be the place to be, and I think I have a lot of reading to do.

The use of 22's never occurred to me. I'm going to ask if they're permitted.

I'd completely forgotten about participating in an Appleseed event, I'll be signing us up for that in the immediate future.

Posts: 132 | Registered: December 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
LDD typed exactly what I would have. The bonus is the 15-22 is a hoot to shoot.

The only thing I would have added is after the classes and once everyone has a good idea of how they want to equip their carbine consider building some. It is a great way to learn how the rifles operate and makes stuff that sounded hard like breaking down bolt carrier groups easy. It is good family time as well if any of the family is mechanically inclined.

Just beware. Learning to build AR's tends to be good for the gun safe industry. I don't know anyone who has only built one...

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post