SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Building a 10/22 for Rimfire Challenge, stock or aftermarket reciever?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a 10/22 for Rimfire Challenge, stock or aftermarket reciever? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I have an older, 20+ years, 10/22 that has many thousands of rounds through it. 20 years ago, I put a bunch of Power Custom parts in it and it's ran well. I just put new springs in it and cleaned all the ten round mags.

However, I still get a few more failures than I like and I think it might be time to upgrade. Plus, I just want too.

I'm looking at either a stock Ruger reciever or a Brownells barreled receiver. I'm not sure I'm ready to spend Volquartsen money on this yet.

If nothing else, it will get a new bolt and some magazines.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at building my own.
I'd like a bull barrel, take-down, probably the MagPul stock, I'll toss some sort of scope on it (looking at Vortex).

What I don't want is a $1000 gun.

Guess what?
I'm probably going to land up with a $1000 gun.

Take a look at this thread.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4410047944

Nothing wrong with a Ruger receiver and bolt. Hey, those lil buggers just WORK! There's other options out there, and they are more expensive, but if you get a reliable and regular "bang" from a Ruger receiver and bolt, my opinion, why mess with it...

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course that setup is completely useless for Rimfire challenge. I can't see any possible benefit from choosing an non Ruger receiver given your proposed use. I'd run a ruger receiver, a decent trigger (choose between the aftermarket and ruger BX, price to be your decider) and then get a stock that you love. I happen to shoot the Hogue best in this league. But there are a thousand options. I wouldn't worry about the rail milled versus add on. I use an add on one (EGW) and a red dot and its just fine.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post