SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Winchester 1873 - brands
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 1873 - brands Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
I'm looking to buy a lever action rifle to shoot 357 magnum and 38 special.
I "think" I have settled on the 1873 version of the Winchester but have a question as to the different makers of this version.
I see Winchester made in Japan, and Uberti as my two top choices, I don't like the magazine feeding on the Henry.
I saw a Uberti Competition model that looks great and I like the shorter stroke action and butt stock but, I'm not sure if its made as well as the Japanese made Winchester.
I want a reliable rifle but, it has to look good with premium walnut and good metal work.
Any suggestions?

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
"Italian clones" have always had potential metal softness/hardness issues.

(even some non clone Italian makers, which always puzzled me that they haven't figured this stuff out after making guns for 500 years or so. Wink)

The Italian companies (Pedersoli, Uberti etc etc) used to be good bargains and you dealt with the small problems that might come up because the prices were so good. I don't know if it's a dollar to Euro thing, or just the way times changes, but those Italian guns are no longer cheap... at all.

Myself, I would spend the extra and get a Miroku. (I was going to buy a '73 .357 up until my eyes started crapping out). IMO the Japanese Winchesters are better made than any Winchesters made in America in the last 55-60 years.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I would buy the Japanese Winchester if I had the option to buy one. I've never had any problems with the Uberti rifles (Uberti also makes the Beretta Renegade, Taylor's and Cimarron).

Lots more aftermarket parts for the Uberti. Sorry not much help.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
I would buy the Japanese Winchester if I had the option to buy one. I've never had any problems with the Uberti rifles (Uberti also makes the Beretta Renegade, Taylor's and Cimarron).

Lots more aftermarket parts for the Uberti. Sorry not much help.

Of the different Uberti spin offs, is there a difference in quality from one to another?

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Beretta owns Uberti. The Beretta Renegade comes with a light action job. It is what my wife shoots. She likes it.

I've never seen that the Cimarron or Taylors. More about upgraded wood.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If you’re not sold on the 73, consider the 92. Not as elegant, but the action is notably stronger.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
If you’re not sold on the 73, consider the 92. Not as elegant, but the action is notably stronger.

92's are a heck of a lot harder to take apart than a 73.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I chose the 73 because I feel the straight to chamber feeding would be better when shooting the shorter 38 special ammo.

posted Hide Post
Am in my lever gun phase as well.
I opted for a Japan made winchester in .45colt. Very happy. Fit and finish is great and it is very smooth. Not many rounds through it. I thought a "Winchester" marked gun, regardless of where made, would be worth more down the road.

Posts: 1651 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike56:
I thought a "Winchester" marked gun, regardless of where made, would be worth more down the road.

I think you are right, Mike.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

posted Hide Post
Take another look at Henry. I purchased a lever gun in .410 and am very impressed. Fit and finish are perfect. Nice piece of wood. Action is smooth right out of the box. Pretty handy out here. I can throw a couple of bird shot in for snakes and then a few buckshot for coyotes. Has rifle sights on it.
Also heard that new, new marlins are back where the quality used to be. Different action than a 1873 but a bit stronger. Probably doesn't matter with pistol calibers.

Posts: 1651 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Not on your radar, but I'm very happy with my recently purchased Marlin 357 lever rifle.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also heard that new, new marlins are back where the quality used to be. Different action than a 1873 but a bit stronger. Probably doesn't matter with pistol calibers.

For what the Winnies cost, you can find a very nice pre-Remington Marlin for less. Current guns are better than they were initially after the takeover, but they are still producing a good number of flawed guns. You get a very strong action, extreme ease of disassembly, and the added bonus of a receiver that is scope friendly. One more plus is that value on a JM .357 will never go down, only up.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I just saw a Winchester 1873 in 357 at a local gun store here in Temple...

It was heavy with the octagon barrel, but it was beautiful.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am in my lever gun phase as well.
I opted for a Japan made winchester in .45colt. Very happy. Fit and finish is great and it is very smooth. Not many rounds through it. I thought a "Winchester" marked gun, regardless of where made, would be worth more down the road.

I have to admit I really would like to see Winchester on the side of the barrel, even if its next to Japan.
As nice as the Italian made rifles look I just get a "gut twitch" when I see an Italian stamping

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I ended up ordering a Winchester in 357 mag.
Its a Winchester Deluxe grade with grade V-VI walnut and case hardened metal work,24" octagon barrel. labeled Shot Show special.
It better be gorgeous for what I paid.
Hopefully working the lever and looking at it will soften the blow.If I still need more comfort I guess I will actually shoot it.
Another item scratched off the bucket list.

I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
I ended up ordering a Winchester in 357 mag.

I think you'll be happy with that! Shoot the heck out of it.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Well online that rifle looks beautiful. Hope that its all you wanted.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Armored,

Check out this Video Review of the Winchester by one of the best shooters in SASS.
https://www.sassnet.com/forums...873-short-rifle-357/

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I still need more comfort I guess I will actually shoot it.

Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post