SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Anyone still have a thing for Colt rifles?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone still have a thing for Colt rifles? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Thanks Q.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an LE6920 purchased 2008. Stock, Aimpoint H1 on rail, Blueforce Gear sling.
Will give it to my son as it will never be sold.
First saw the carbine XM177 test model in late ‘66 when the Ordinance Types brought 8 to 2/11ACR in RVN. As Squadron S4, we wanted our guys to test these rifles - tankers, Morter squads, APC crews, pilots, and run them hard. Nobody wanted to give them up when our test period ended, and even with a few problems in that long ago time, everyone that used one was impressed.
Blackhorse4

Posts: 87 | Location: North central Kentucky | Registered: October 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Tim over at the MAC channel did a review on the latest production CR6920s. He seems to be a bit critical. Normally his reviews are pretty spot on although he has been known to be pretty opinionated. He's a dedicated AR fan boui, he hates SCARs and apparently he's really a traditionalist when it comes to Colt ARs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf43zByGu9U

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
Tim over at the MAC channel did a review on the latest production CR6920s. He seems to be a bit critical. Normally his reviews are pretty spot on although he has been known to be pretty opinionated. He's a dedicated AR fan boui, he hates SCARs and apparently he's really a traditionalist when it comes to Colt ARs:

I don't doubt that Colt outsources parts, several big names do, but that review is a joke and solely based on speculation and 2nd hand information.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:

Tim at MAC would not be my, first, second, third, fourth, or fifth source for a worthwhile review.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2317 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Colt AR15A2 Govt Carbine, with PD letterhead, in 2002, to carry on duty, as a patrol rifle. About three years later, I sold it to a colleague with younger eyes, as the front sight, on a carbine-length gas system, was just too close to my aging eyeball. (PD policy at the time was iron-sights-only.) That was a wonderful weapon, totally reliable. I do not own a complete Colt rifle, today, but do have a Colt mid-length upper, from a run being sold earlier this year, with Centurion hand guards, through Brownells. It is presently on a Daniel Defense DDM4 lower, with a LAW folder; a wonderfully lightweight, handy, pack-able weapon.

It would be nice to have a complete Colt rifle/carbine, again. Maybe some time next year...

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I got a hold of a 6933 before they vanished completely.

Remember a few years back when the Mexican marked 6920s were $700 and people weren't really buying them up? The week before Colt announced cessation of commerical production, my vendor had 40 6720s that they had had for months and could not move at $785. They were gone basically the day Colt made the announcement.

Posts: 5159 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Just bought one of their newer M4s. It's every bit as good as the others of years past. I don't buy a Colt for the markings. Sportsmans has had them, along with the magpul 6920s, frequently in good stock over the past month if you're looking.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have 2 Colt Light Rifles. Designed by Melvin Forbes they are perhaps the most underrated bolt action rifles ever. Both of mine are 1/2 MOA 3 shot rifles.........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
All my ARs are Colts, I purchased my first AR in 1982.

The latest Colt AR I bought is a Combat Unit Carbine and I think it is a great rifle, nearly prefect in my eyes.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
I still have 2 Colt Light Rifles. Designed by Melvin Forbes they are perhaps the most underrated bolt action rifles ever. Both of mine are 1/2 MOA 3 shot rifles.........

I've got one of these in .30-06 and it's put a lot of meat in the freezer.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt ARs aren't cutting edge - Colt really hasn't bothered to keep up with recent changes in the AR market. Many companies provide better carbine stocks, and the A2 grips are not optimal. The parkerized finish on their bolt carriers is inferior to many of the newer coatings. The chrome lined bores increase barrel longevity, but are not noted to be the most accurate barrels out there. Colt also doesn't seem to worry too much about the appearance of their carbines - I have opened several new carbine boxes and found scratches on the finish. However, although there are far better target models available, Colt has built high quality, reliable combat rifles and carbines for many years. The castle nuts and gas keys are staked properly, the bolts are made of high quality steel and tested. I carried Colt M4s and M4A1s in a combat zone and trusted them completely. Many other makers also build very high quality ARs, but I have found my Colts can be counted on to provide reliable service over the long term. Although a bit noisy, the 6933 uppers are light and handy (even with a loaded 40-round mag).

Posts: 154 | Registered: December 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the end flap of a Colt M4 Carbine box, I noticed that it said "Semi-Auto (2013 Config)*" What actually does that refer to? The Model was LE6920.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
1 Colt SP1 from the early 80’s (I think 1981) Looks like a rifle from the Vietnam era. It’s cool looking but, other than that, Colt doesn’t mean that much to me.

Posts: 397 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post