SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Anyone still have a thing for Colt rifles?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone still have a thing for Colt rifles? Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chimper:
https://youtu.be/gpz8KTqoOhk

Chris is a lifetime Colt fan. This is his opinion.

I have to say this was fascinating to listen to. I actually just listened to it like it was a podcast. If what he says is true, this is pretty much part and parcel what I’ve seen from other manufacturers. Many years ago, I heard a marketing director say that the internet was a “fad”, wouldn’t be around long term, and print media is where it’s at.

Where is he now? Senior VP, of course

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
By the time I really saw the light for The AR-15, BCM was offering more of what I wanted than Colt. I have recently picked up a 6933EPR And 6970 complete upper. Might have to pick up a couple more. And I alway keep an eye open for a M16A2 config Colt, with bayonet lug.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt had the military contract for years. Some of those rifles fired tens of thousands of rounds. They go bang when you pull the trigger.

Posts: 1741 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a Colt rifle type of person.
It has been about 3.5 years ago, right before we moved here to NC, I was in my favorite gun store/shooting range.

I was comparing a Colt 6920 to a BCM and a DD pencil barrel version (I believe). I used to be a weapons fanatic and knew every little +/- nuance between various M16/M4 manufactures. Since I have been slipping, I asked the salesman a few questions. I listened and stated that I guess I am just a Colt person. He opined that it is great old technology.

Since I got hired by Uncle Sam way way back in 1992, I have always been issued a Colt M16A2 or M4 and I am very happy with them. They have never let me down both in permissive and non permissive environments. I take really good care of my weapons but some how i am still hard on them.

The only other rifle to catch my eye was the FN M16A4 with a detachable carry handle, rails and adjustable stock that I was issued in basic training this time around in 2010.

In the LE world I have been issued RRA also but I always go back to Colt.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
They build a quality rifle but I've never been persuaded to buy one.

ETA:

That's not exactly accurate.

I bolt a Colt 603 parts kit a few years ago for a retro build. It's all Colt except for the lower and FCG. It's a sweetheart.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After dealing with their customer service recently, I'm in no hurry to buy Colt.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8765 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
i have 8 Colts including the 3 you specifically mentioned. I wont buy a 'new' Colt. all mine are old school roll marked, not this new crap

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
So, no one seems to be able to answer the question I have asked once.

Why are the new rifles "crap"? It's been mentioned a couple of times in this thread, but no reasons for the opinion given. I ask because I have a brand new one. I have a 6940 and 6920s from years ago. The new one seems to be built correctly, with milspec parts, and I see nothing out of the way with it.

I'm not vested in the new Colt rifle I've picked up in the last six months. It's not the train wreck the Colt knock offs were...........

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
They aren't bad. People are fickle, and tend to complain about stupid things.

I've owned two 6920s and a LE901 and they were all solid. They had the MPI and "C" marks on all the right parts. They functioned as they should. And when I sold off my ARs they were the last to go. I've had numerous BCMs, Daniel Defenses and Spikes and always considered the Colts the best of the lot.

I've seen people complain that some of the barrels and bolts on some models are no longer "C" marked leading to speculation that they are outsourced parts. But Colt has always outsourced for components. So there's that.

Colt produced some budgets ARs without some of the Mil-Spec features, like chrome lined bores, so people complained about that. And I don't think those guns were actually made by Colt.

Colt stopped selling ARs to the public for awhile, setting off more complaints.

If I decided to buy another AR, I'd try and find a 6920 or a SOCOM. My ONLY complaint was that one of my 6920s came with some pretty substantial scratches from the factory. I touched those up with some flat black Testors model paint and forgot about them.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
So, no one seems to be able to answer the question I have asked once.

Why are the new rifles "crap"? It's been mentioned a couple of times in this thread, but no reasons for the opinion given. I ask because I have a brand new one. I have a 6940 and 6920s from years ago. The new one seems to be built correctly, with milspec parts, and I see nothing out of the way with it.

I'm not vested in the new Colt rifle I've picked up in the last six months. It's not the train wreck the Colt knock offs were...........

There is no qualitative difference in the new Colts vs. the older ones. I have 5 6920s from a range of several years and different configurations.

When you hear people gripe about the new ones, you have to bear in mind that there are a lot of Colt collectors in the AR community. Normally the differences you will see on new 6920s are:

1) The change over from LE to CR serial# prefixes.

2) The change from roll marked receivers to laser etched receiver markings.

3) The political correction of removing "M16" and "M4" military designations to the more politically correct "CARBINE" designation.

There has been some talk of Colt outsourcing some of their parts but the truth is, they have always outsourced some components. Colt has never been known for fit & finish on their ARs as compared to some of the other high end makers.

As I have yet to acquire a 6940 with a monolithic upper receiver, I would have absolutely no qualms about purchasing a brand new current production model. Yes, I would prefer the old roll marks but functionally I know it's the exact same product as older models.

I will qualify the above statements by saying... Anyone who knows me on this forum knows me to be critical of new SIG Sauer products. I will not own a current production SIG Sauer product. Comparatively, I have no such reservations regarding new or current production Colt ARs. The new Pythons are a different story.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I’d say that’s fair.

I was just wondering if I was missing something.

Thanks

www.opspectraining.com

Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
After selling my '79 M16A1 I bought an LE6945CQB in 2016.

...sometimes fired in .300 BLK

Posts: 4022 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love Colt ARs. I do prefer CHF CL barrels and wish we could get them from Colt Canada, along with CC’s updated mlok extended length 694x chassis. Colt 14.5” SOCOM M4A1 heavy barrels are excellent and among my favorite shooters.

If only Colt would have moved forward with the M5 Ambi lower program, started CHF CL barrels to include mid length gas options, and advanced the monolithic upper to use the longer fore-end with mlok.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
I'm a traditionalist. My AR-15 Model 639 was perfect when it was produced in '72. It will never be bastardized!

(My Rick Kuehl .22lr conversion upper is on top.)

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I love my LE6933 and my CR6724. I can't comment on new quality.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
I'm a traditionalist. My AR-15 Model 639 was perfect when it was produced in '72. It will never be bastardized!

(My Rick Kuehl .22lr conversion upper is on top.)

Gorgeous. And those are some of the cleanest, crisp rollmarkings I’ve seen on a Colt.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a few pony’s ... then when I found out they were selling licensing rights and found out the last one I bought was built “under license” ... well, that was the last pony I bought except for this one ...

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone still have a thing for Colt rifles?

Never had a thing for them, although I have owned some of them in the past.

Q

Posts: 26354 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently I've seen a couple of NIB 6920s for sale. The ad claims they have CL barrels but some people here have posted otherwise. Does Colt maybe offer both a CL version and a non-CL version?

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
Recently I've seen a couple of NIB 6920s for sale. The ad claims they have CL barrels but some people here have posted otherwise. Does Colt maybe offer both a CL version and a non-CL version?

6920s have chrome lined barrels.

Q

Posts: 26354 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post