SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Anyone still have a thing for Colt rifles?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone still have a thing for Colt rifles? Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
I know there are a ton of great companies out there, but does anyone still have a thing for 6920s, 6940s, 6933s?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
I do! I do!.... why do you ask? Big Grin

Posts: 2680 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, plenty do but some won't admit it...

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After 3 LMT’s, not anymore. Colt’s management for years has been a dumpster fire. It’s a crying shame.

Posts: 165 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I know it's not what you were looking for, but I still have a fondness for an old Colt Coltsman bolt-action .308. She's built on an old Sako L57 action, and I had her modified for a Model 70 type 3 way safety, and dropped her in a Richards AAA Fancy Micro-fit stock.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Not the new CR6920. I wouldn’t mind a couple more older 6720s.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Not the new CR6920. I wouldn’t mind a couple more older 6720s.

What’s the matter with the “new” 6920s?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a colt addict. I lusted for one for years. Now I have 5. 6933 and 4 6721’s. One for each of my kids when I am old and gone. They each get one at 18.

They make a solid AR. Resale is good due to brand recognition if you need to sell it.

Posts: 1744 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Colt 6920 was my first AR, I’ll keep her forever. She doesn’t get shot much, and after adding some easy bolt on accessories, I returned her back to factory condition. There’s something sexy about a 6920 in pure form.
I’d buy another if the price was right, but for the money they command, you can get a lot more gun from a competitor.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9688 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love my 6933 and smartly bought it 2'ish years ago and was able to get it for just $800. Those days are long gone seems like.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
My oldest is a stock Colt LE6920 with carry handle and iron sights. Reminds me of the M-16 that got me through a year as an advisor on Viet Nam in 1970/1971. I will never sell it.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I always admired them. Have had more than 1, with modest disappointment with classic a2 "match" (6601 ??). Always ran but always a 3-4" gun at 100 yds.

Have a blue label 6940 w LE serial number, and it is the most accurate AR I have owned including 2 heavy barrel and varmint models. Just shoots!

One day I'll need to learn how I'm supposed to clean and re-oil the barrel inside that one piece upper. Roll Eyes

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a fan. Back before everything became unobtainium people used to sell unused 6920 uppers to use the prancing pony lowers for their builds and I picked up enough to make them my standard upper on my home brews. I love the FSB and the fact that I don’t have to worry about whether they staked the gas key or the gas port was dicked. I would usually remove the delta rings and add a centurion handguard. Their new mlok handguard has attracted my attention.

I have some colt rifles but tend to stick to my home built lowers with my colt uppers. So I guess my answer is sorta.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
My first and only AR is an LE6920 SOCOM II edition. I put an ACOG (w/an RMR on top) on it and I'm pretty tickled with it. I know I've done something right when I don't have that lust for another gun of the same basic type as of one I already have.

Part of the reason I went for the Colt is I didn't know a ton about the AR platform and all of the different options available. I just figured I couldn't go wrong with a Colt. Now I have something I not only like and have confidence in, but I have something that should retain value pretty well.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Webb:
I know it's not what you were looking for, but I still have a fondness for an old Colt Coltsman bolt-action .308. She's built on an old Sako L57 action, and I had her modified for a Model 70 type 3 way safety, and dropped her in a Richards AAA Fancy Micro-fit stock.

I have a Sako actioned Coltsman too. In 223 and original condition. One of the best rifles I have.

All my ARs are RRA

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt makes quality rifles, and their rifles can provide a lifetime of service for most AR owners. But I don't own any Colts and likely never will.

IMO Colt has rested on its laurels for a long time. They have been slow to offer mid-length gas systems, free floated barrels, rail systems, 1/8 twist barrels, and stainless steel barrels. The infamous webz creation known as "The Chart" maintained Colt's mythical superiority for years, when many competitors offered at least equal features.

Many AR15s run like tops -- cycling flawlessly, with high round counts, in crappy weather conditions, with boatloads of ammo types, with marginal lubrication & cleaning. The gun industry has known how to build quality AR15s for decades, and it's not a black box secret.

In competitive circles, Colt rifles are seen about once in a blue moon. Maybe a Colt receiver set here and there, but not a full Colt rifle. Competition is hard on firearms, and demands flawless cycling. But most rifle matches also demand high accuracy along with flawless cycling, and that's where Colt isn't at the level of other manufacturers.

Most AR owners, including Colt owners, will never fire their rifles enough to wear out parts. Thus, the owners state from personal experience that their Colts have functioned just flawlessly -- over a lifetime of maybe a couple thousand rounds. And they're right, and that's a reasonable statement. It's a different story for people who put tens of thousands of rounds through their ARs.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 6920. It does everything I want it to. I am not as skilled as many here, so the incremental advantages of a higher end AR would be wasted on me.

Posts: 550 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/gpz8KTqoOhk

Chris is a lifetime Colt fan. This is his opinion.

Posts: 165 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a new one, no. But for a very long time they were what I trusted to get the job done. and they did. I never considered them gaming guns by design so I would never expected to use one for competitive purposes when accuracy or range counted. But I ran them in tactical type competitions for a very long time without every experiencing a serious deficiency. And kept a 6940 nearby at all times for self defense use if needed. tens of thousands of rounds and just the normal crap that any AR consumes. For the longest time nobody really did a more reliable short barrel than the 6933. Now days I think we have passed them by. My long time favorite 6940 feels like an absolute clunker compared to things I run now with small diameter handguards and modern gas configurations. But at the end of the world if all I had was a 6920 with an aimpoint and some ammo I would be completely happy.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of doublecorona
posted Hide Post
Great karma, please include me Razz

Deplorable NRA Life Member

Posts: 1050 | Location: Where my mind is not | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post