SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    B&T GHM9c SBR Project
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

B&T GHM9c SBR Project Login/Join 
Picture of pulicords
posted
Earlier in the year, I picked up a braced B&T GHM9 Compact pistol as a project to convert into a (BATFE approved) SBR. While waiting for my paperwork to be approved, I found one of the OEM folding stocks offered by B&T. Unfortunately, when I received my stamp and added it to the gun, I found that the cheek weld it offered was far less than ideal. Later, I purchased a "Pro" model lower, so I could use 9mm Glock magazines (which I find to be better built than the ones offered by B&T) and upon installation, I learned that the folder now wouldn't lock into place in the closed position like it did with the OEM lower. My answer was to purchase a Copper Custom folding/AR adapter, and equip it with a Magpul stock. Now it will lock in the closed position and while open, the regular AR stock provides an excellent cheek weld, especially while shooting with MRO (Green) optic. Original folder shown at bottom.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Love it! Great looking gun!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I really dig the BT stock, but if it doesn't work glad ya got the AR working nicely for you.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
the B&T stock isn't meant to be used wtih an AR height optic like you're running. A low mount for the MRO will give you a proper cheekweld

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Sweet. Very cool. Thanks for posting your process.

Posts: 2010 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PGT hit the nail on the head. Run an AR height optic and you will need an AR height stock/brace. But for anyone following this with a B&T on the B&T you can easily just run the optic lower and the B&T stocks/braces work really well. I really like the telescoping one. Very short and very fast to deploy. And you can run it with a tailhook while your F1 is in process.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m pretty sure that you don’t need that end plate on your adapter, the castle nut should suffice and would get rid of a snag hazard if you wanted to ditch it.

I find myself liking higher stock placements as well, not only to work better with more “heads up” height optic mounts but also straighter recoil vs the roll of more European Style comb drops.

The Glock mags look better on the k guns too, nice rifle!

Posts: 267 | Registered: November 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
PGT hit the nail on the head. Run an AR height optic and you will need an AR height stock/brace. But for anyone following this with a B&T on the B&T you can easily just run the optic lower and the B&T stocks/braces work really well. I really like the telescoping one. Very short and very fast to deploy. And you can run it with a tailhook while your F1 is in process.

Thanks, but there were still issues with the B&T folder that made it less than ideal. The LOP and cheek weld weren't particularly comfortable for shooting, with the "Pro" lower (allowing me to use Glock magazines and whatever type of AR grip I preferred) it wouldn't lock into place while in the closed position, and I like the MRO (Green dot) optic coupled with the QD release.

merecedes560: You're right about the end plate adapter and it's been addressed. Here's how it's set up now, with a single point sling:

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I have many B&T's but it occurs to me that you've put together a 2-3x as expensive AR9 setup that runs 33rd Glock mags. I mean...if that's what moves you, go for it, but CMMG makes an excellent analog to that for half the cost that runs great. I'm a bit of an originalist...keep it in line with how the mfr intended vs. making everything into an AR but running AR height sights, M4 carbine tube, a LAW folder, etc.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
I have many B&T's but it occurs to me that you've put together a 2-3x as expensive AR9 setup that runs 33rd Glock mags. I mean...if that's what moves you, go for it, but CMMG makes an excellent analog to that for half the cost that runs great. I'm a bit of an originalist...keep it in line with how the mfr intended vs. making everything into an AR but running AR height sights, M4 carbine tube, a LAW folder, etc.

I've got an AR9 SBR ("Battle Tested Equipment") that works just fine and it was less expensive than my B&T GHM9c, but it wasn't a matter of one vs the other. I wanted the quality of a B&T, but found over time that the improvements I could make were worth the time, effort, and cost. If an APC Pro had been available to me at the time, maybe I'd have gone with that, but the nice thing about the GHM series is the ability to readily add features that the owner/shooter finds desirable. This ability to tailor the tool to the user's preferences is one of the reasons the AR platform is so popular now.