SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Garand Gas plug info needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garand Gas plug info needed Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
Last weekend I loaded up all the rifles for a trip to the outdoor range.
Since its a given that something will be forgotten at home I remembered just before I got to the range that this forgotten item was the M1 Garand 30/06 ammo.

I went to Walmart and found 30/06 but none of the Garand specific ammo in stock. I then went to Farm and fleet and discovered the same thing. The poor Garand stayed in its case.

I vowed to not let this happen again. I would buy a gas plug that lets me safely shoot regular commercial 30/06 ammo if needed.
I see a few different plugs available. Adjustable and volume controlled. I decided that I want the volume controlled plug made by Garand Gear or Schuster. Schuster also makes an adjustable plug, but I'm not interested in that type. I don't want to waste ammo and time experimenting with the proper size gas hole for each type of ammo I might shoot. I don't expect to shoot any thing besides the Garand specific ammo unless its an emergency, and then it would be 150 to 168 grain commercial ammo. The volume controlled plugs should work for this.

My question,
Both Garand gear and Schuster make this type of plug ( NOT the adjustable model).
Does any body own both?
Has anybody found the volume size of each chamber?
Any preferences?

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I never saw the need,had a friend that did have an adjustable,he was aggravating to shoot next to on range always fiddling with it and bitching about it messed up his groups
Honestly I in fifty years have only shot my reloads.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I don't have multiple brands of plugs to compare against each other, like the OP is asking about, but I have the Garand Gear plug on one of my Garands, and it works well.

99% of the time, I'm shooting M2 Ball anyway. But it's nice to be able to take the Garand hunting every now and then with modern ammo, without fear of damage.

quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
I never saw the need,had a friend that did have an adjustable,he was aggravating to shoot next to on range always fiddling with it and bitching about it messed up his groups

That's the benefit of the new style "volume controlled" gas plugs that the OP is asking about. Unlike the old style "adjustable" plugs like your friend was using, they don't have to be adjusted to work with one particular load at a time. Instead, there's zero fiddling or tweaking; just screw it in and go shoot.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I sent a email to Garand Gear and Schuster asking about the volume of there plug chambers. Garand Gear answered with the size of the chamber. When I get a reply from Schuster I will post it in this thread.
I'm thinking, More volume, more pressure relief.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
I have the Schuster adjustable plugs on both an M1A and on my Garand. The M1A was easy, as I just set it for the lightest load I shoot.

For the Garand, I set the plug for shooting Garand specific loads, then scribed a line for that setting.

Then, I set it for the hottest loads I would shoot and scribed a second set of lines. Adjustment back and forth is no problem, although the adjustable plug isn't service rifle legal if you shoot CMP matches.

Both plugs are top quality and I would definitely recommend the Schuster products.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got to not forget the correct ammo, and the only way to fly long term is to reload for the M1

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post