SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Spotting scopes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spotting scopes Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
You can get a vortex diamondback for around 400 bucks.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
I have a Kowa TSN 82SV with the 27 LER eye piece. I've had the opportunity to test drive both the 80mm and 100mm Konus spotting scopes. They aren't on the same level as the $1k scopes, but for the casual shooter they represent excellent value for the money.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify it for me.

I have never looked through a Konus, so I can't judge.

On the other hand, if we're talking about binoculars, the OP should have a look at these:
http://www.eurooptic.com/kowa-...of.aspx#!prettyPhoto

A steal at $5,000.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
A steal at $5,000.

And they ship free!

Wink

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You betcha.

If that's too pricey, you can get the non-fluorite objective glass elements for $3,575, a saving of $1,425. And those ship free also.

Big Grin

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Surely you wouldn't stoop to buying the non-ED glass? Eek

I say that having bought essentially half of those binoculars, a $3,000 spotting scope with zoom eyepiece. After trying cheaper ones and seeing a huge difference, I bit the bullet.

Posts: 18052 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Surely you wouldn't stoop to buying the non-ED glass? Eek

I say that having bought essentially half of those binoculars, a $3,000 spotting scope with zoom eyepiece. After trying cheaper ones and seeing a huge difference, I bit the bullet.

If you read my long thread on optics, you will have seen that I do not want ED glass for my spotting scope; I want it for my riflescope.

And fluorite glass is not ED glass; it's fluorite glass, the stuff that ED glass was designed to approximate without the drawbacks. You can find fluorite glass on spotting scopes, because they are not subjected to the shocks that riflescopes are.

If I was buying a spotting scope for birding or similar pursuits, I would insist on ED or fluorite glass, just not for conditions monitoring.

I am not interested in looking for bullet holes at 200 or 300 yards.

That said, I can surely understand why one would fall in live with an ED glass spotting scope.

posted Hide Post

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

Posts: 1 | Registered: March 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. Resurrecting an old thread to insert a link to your own website while claiming to be an expert on spotting scopes? That takes some gall.

I went to the site to which you linked and spent about 10-15 minutes reading it. I should have stopped after the first minute but I wanted to give it a fair shake.

I'm trying VERY hard to be nice here, but in which universe do you think you would be regarded as a spotting scope expert? Surely not in this one.

Best to leave it at that.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post

that paragraph alone is hard to read

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WHOIS data shows the site was first registered May 2017 for someone with an address in Evansville, IN.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
It looks like this is someone's hobby site. My Kowa didn't make the cut. Roll Eyes

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
It looks like this is someone's hobby site. My Kowa didn't make the cut. Roll Eyes

Don't feel bad, they only talk about the cheapest scopes. When I see someone put "Barska" and "best of" without a negation in the sentence, I know they are not for real.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Cornfield

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I have this Konus scope and it is great for the money. It's not great at 300 yrd with .223 but works well with 30 cal at that range.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/ko...-spotting-scope.html

Jim

I don't own a Konus spotter but have looked thru several at the range and agree with the above post

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Cornfield

It's like The Twilight Zone around here. Wink

Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
I picked up an Emarth 20-60x60 spotting scope on Amazon for $59 and use it alot at the range for seeing hits at 100 to 400 yards. For $59 and the fact that it works well and I am ecstatic with it!

It comes with a tripod also.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Anyone tried this one?

https://www.cabelas.com/produc...2695637.uts?slotId=2

Been considering it for 100 yds

Posts: 17883 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post