SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Spotting scopes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spotting scopes Login/Join 
Picture of SigSentry
posted
What do we like for a decent inexpensive spotting scope. Looking at Amazon. ~300 yards max.

Posts: 3518 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I can’t answer your question directly, but for those who might be able to, a bit more information would be useful. Are you going to use it for spotting bullet holes or strikes? If so, what type of target(s) are you anticipating using? Steel plates, black bull’s-eyes, light-colored sighting targets? Also, what caliber bullets? .17, .22, .30, .577?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
In my search for an inexpensive spotting scope, I ended up with a Celestron C90 telescope. With the included eyepiece, I can easily see .223 holes at 200 yds (my max range) but I would expect little trouble seeing them at 300. In the photos I have it mounted to a ball mount, which is attached to a manfrotto super clamp. This combination allows me to clamp it directly to a shooting bench, or to the pictured home depot work light stand.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I've heard Konus is a decent, affordable option.

I went big(ger) and bought a Kowa 82sv with 20-60x eye piece - I've always been a buy once cry once kinda guy.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I can’t answer your question directly, but for those who might be able to, a bit more information would be useful. Are you going to use it for spotting bullet holes or strikes? If so, what type of target(s) are you anticipating using? Steel plates, black bull’s-eyes, light-colored sighting targets? Also, what caliber bullets? .17, .22, .30, .577?

Thanks for the kind reply. I suspect it will mostly be 22lr and occasionally 7.62 out of a cz 527. The range is paper targets only so seeing hits is the goal I suppose. Buy once, cry once most likely applies but there are some fairly "cheap" offerings (~$100 to 150). The type of target would probably dictate the power I need. Just looking for an all around option that would meet my needs. How cheap is too cheap. Thanks again.

Posts: 3518 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
having been there before you will likely be unhappy with cheap as far as spotters go and most likely will get way better glass and still be able to see holes with a set of binos. the big thing with cheap spotters is horrible eye relief.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammer1967
posted Hide Post
I bought a Konus recently. I can send you some video at 100, 600 and 750 if you like.
Let me know

If Jesus would have had a gun he would be alive today. Homer Simpson
“Him plenty dead” Tonto

Posts: 1090 | Location: TN | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mew:
having been there before you will likely be unhappy with cheap as far as spotters go and most likely will get way better glass and still be able to see holes with a set of binos. the big thing with cheap spotters is horrible eye relief.

Binoculars might work at 100 yards... I really doubt they'd work at 300.

With a very good spotting scope (the older version Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85mm) I can usually see 6.5mm holes at 300 yards but have a lot of trouble seeing .223 holes.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
most likely will get way better glass

I’m trying to imagine why one would get better glass in binoculars than a similarly-priced spotting scope. Not only is it necessary to pay for two sets of glass in a pair of binoculars, but there’s also the need to deal with and pay for the mechanism to allow them to be folded while also maintaining precise alignment between the two optics.

Even if the binoculars benefit from having smaller and therefore less expensive lenses and components and that benefit can be applied to glass quality, there are still two sets versus one, and, more important, there is usually a big difference in magnification. My 8.5-power Swarovski binoculars are extremely sharp and clear, but I still can’t see small bullet holes as well with them as with my 40-year-old Bushnell “Spacemaster” spotting scope with 20x eyepiece that cost about a third of what the binoculars did (in equivalent dollars).

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I have this Konus scope and it is great for the money. It's not great at 300 yrd with .223 but works well with 30 cal at that range.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/ko...-spotting-scope.html

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
inexpensive/decent was the OP buzzword here no? $150 bino's are light years ahead of $150 spotters. just saying.......

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
inexpensive/decent was the OP buzzword here no? $150 bino's are light years ahead of $150 spotters. just saying.......

Well, that was my question: Why is that?

Is it because no one expects a $150 spotting scope to be used for any serious purpose and therefore the manufacturers produce it for $20 and reap the profits while that is not true of binoculars?

I am also curious what scopes and binoculars you have compared to reach that conclusion. (I personally have no experience with optics in that price range.)

6.4/93.6

— Plato

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I think the bino market is quite a bit larger than the spotting scope market. Volume brings economy to scale and that along with more competition tends to drive pricing down.

I occasionally use Nikon 10x50 binos for 100 yard spotting. (don't own a dedicated spotting scope) This works pretty well and comes in handy when shooting low power scopes like 4x which don't allow me to actually see the shot placement through the scope clearly enough to make adjustments even with shoot n c targets. Much past 100 yards and the binos are not effective.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
Volume brings economy to scale and that along with more competition tends to drive pricing down.

Could be the answer.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I had an opportunity to use this scope and had no issues easily spotting .223 holes at 300 yards. The 100mm objective is a light vacuume, and the 60x zoom makes 300 yard targets easy to read. I used a Nikon with a 60mm objective before I got my Kowa, and in medium shadow or end of day lighting I started to loose the ability to see the holes at 300 yards. The Konus is the one you want and it's in your price range.

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I have this Konus scope and it is great for the money. It's not great at 300 yrd with .223 but works well with 30 cal at that range.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/ko...-spotting-scope.html

Jim

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:

These 25-125 X 80 binos are what I use for zeroing my scopes.
It believe it falls into the OPs budget .

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
How well do they work? How's the image on maximum zoom?

quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
I had an opportunity to use this scope and had no issues easily spotting .223 holes at 300 yards. The 100mm objective is a light vacuume, and the 60x zoom makes 300 yard targets easy to read. I used a Nikon with a 60mm objective before I got my Kowa, and in medium shadow or end of day lighting I started to loose the ability to see the holes at 300 yards. The Konus is the one you want and it's in your price range.

Now you're confusing me. Did you get a Kowa or a Konus? Huge difference in price and performance.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
quote:

Now you're confusing me. Did you get a Kowa or a Konus? Huge difference in price and performance.

I have a Kowa TSN 82SV with the 27 LER eye piece. I've had the opportunity to test drive both the 80mm and 100mm Konus spotting scopes. They aren't on the same level as the $1k scopes, but for the casual shooter they represent excellent value for the money.

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
How well do they work? How's the image on maximum zoom?

It's not easy to admit, but any evaluation I give is based on eyes that probably (quite assuredly) need prescription glasses and have astigmatism.

That being said they work very well for me.
I've looked thru my shooting partners Leopoldo 80x spotting scope and don't see where the $$$ difference went.
But they gave me a head ache when I attempted to use them without a tripod.
I will say a solid / weighted tripod is a huge benefit no matter what optic you use.

quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GrumpyBiker,

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post