SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR-10 pattern. Which one?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR-10 pattern. Which one? Login/Join 
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
I was happy that someone else answered before me, cause when I saw the "minute of man" accuracy I was unclear on your expectations. So recently I posted a thread asking about scopes and set the expectation that I would be hitting man sized targets out to 700 yards.

Then the other day I came upon this target at 250 yards. Only the headshot was colored, being the area you were to shoot. It was now obvious that everyone here was right and the Trijicon Accupower is the right way to go. So my point is, plan to shoot a minimum of 1/1.5 MOA.

Second PSA, they are okay. I would still go with Aero, their lowers have a set screw that allows you to make sure you have a tight fit between the lower and upper.

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Later, in case I want something closer to 1 MOA, does PSA make any uppers that could do that? If not, is there another company that makes accurate uppers that would mate to a PSA lower or would it be a case of buying a complete (and spendy) rifle elsewhere?

I don't know if PSA's best uppers are capable of great accuracy. Just guessing -- probably acceptable accuracy by not great accuracy. Those with a PSA AR-10 upper would have to weigh in. Understand that great accuracy isn't a once-in-a-blue moon 3 shot group. Nor is it described with "all day long, if I do my part". Great accuracy is consistent -- shot after shot, group after group, month after month.

I suspect there are companies that offer uppers that mate to the the PSA lower. Maybe a better option is to find who makes PSA upper receivers, then buy that upper receiver. Receiver only, so you can add your own components.

If you want a truly accurate AR-10, start with a great barrel. Krieger, Bartlein, and JP should be on the short list. Buy a blank barrel -- i.e. one that isn't chambered. Determine the caliber and ammo you expect to use, then have a talented 'smith cut the chamber for your expected ammo. Add a quality BCG, and have your talented 'smith put it all together.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Don't know if it has changed much but when I built my three Mega MA TEN's a few years ago DPMS seemed to offer the most compatibility along with better availability.
DPMS

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Last year I built a 6.5 Creedmoor on a Spikes 308 receiver set, JP barrel, handguard, bolt/lite carrier and captured recoil spring. I also went with the Super-dynamic Enhanced Geissele trigger, PRS stock and Leupold Mark 4 ER/T 8.5-25x50 for glass. It was comparable to my SR25 match and would hold 2.5" to 3" at 500 yard pretty easily.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Since DPMS is one of the "standards", what about buying an entry level DPMS for my plinking uses? Would that make it easier to match up a higher dollar/more accurate upper later?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Since DPMS is one of the "standards", what about buying an entry level DPMS for my plinking uses? Would that make it easier to match up a higher dollar/more accurate upper later?

Bruce

You might be able to change out the barrel but I don't think anyone else's upper will interchange ... I know my KAC, Spike's and SiG wouldn't. There are no standards in the "10" world like the 15.

Picture of DamageInc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GroundedCLK:
If you decide to go Aero completely as they are great rifles. Just a word of advice there complete rifle in 6.5 with a 24” barrel was $1709. I bought their complete upper for $548 and their complete lower for $515. Both at different times and BCG/Charging for $189. All said and done everything built by them was well under their built rifle price.

Yep, you can put one together much cheaper than buying complete. Part of this is due to the 11% excise tax on firearms. If you buy a complete firearm, that 11% tax is built into the price. If you build it, no extra tax on the parts (just sales tax). Part of it is also paying for assembly labor, and/or for warranty. Some places offer a lifetime warranty on a complete rifle, but you are mostly on your own if you build it. Warranties are built into the price.

Posts: 3412 | Registered: June 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
This is interesting/helpful from POF:

differences among AR-10's vs. 'Intermediates" vs. their new "Revolution.

https://pof-usa.com/revolution-comparison/

Did you grab a copy of the Shooting Illustrated article?

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
https://www.shootingillustrate...-potential-pitfalls/

Good article. Thanks for pointing it out.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I tried several and ended up with a scar 17. Best decision ever.

Where did you find one?

I've been looking and the only ones I've seen are on auction sites. I'm a bit nervous about sending someone $3000 and hoping to get a rifle in return.

Posts: 20098 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
RNShooter,

"Shooting Illustrated", August 2018, p. 64,
'Big AR Is Better', by Steve Adelmann.

Great article! Thanks for the heads-up!

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I’m real happy with my Adams Arms small frame .308

Didn’t “build” it but it shares many of the “standard” AR parts for modification (trigger, stock, grip, etc.) pretty much everything but upper/lower/BCG/barrel is standard AR fit.

Uses the Magpul and Lancer mags.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I tried several and ended up with a scar 17. Best decision ever.

Where did you find one?

I've been looking and the only ones I've seen are on auction sites. I'm a bit nervous about sending someone $3000 and hoping to get a rifle in return.

I completely understand your hesitance ... Gunbroker was less than a year old when I won an auction for an HK SR9 for $1,800 this was in 1998 IIRC ... to a pawn shop 2300 miles away with like 3-4 positive feedback ... To date I've compleated several hundred auctions and have only been even slightly disappointed on used items a couple times, usually it's better than described, I'm talking about guns and/or parts ... I've heard "horror stories" but usually it's a shipping thing.

Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I have an Armalite AR10A4with a 3x9 Loopy on it. Using that mediocre Greek 147 gr, at 100 yards I can hit a hanging golf ball every time. Don't write off Armalites.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post