SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Which semi-auto 28" 12 gauge for Trap Shooting (or waterfowl) is everyone's preference. (POLL)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which semi-auto 28" 12 gauge for Trap Shooting (or waterfowl) is everyone's preference. (POLL) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Both Benelli and Beretta make a high rib, high comb semi auto in 30" barrels. Benelli's super sport, and Beretta Xcel (forgot the exact name for it). Of course, nobody around me stocks either of them. I would like to see them in person before buying anything. Outdoor world has a lot of Benelli's and Beretta's but neither of those in stock. I don't know any other place in South Florida that stocks/specializes in trap guns.....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shot my buddies A400 today. I think the barrel is 30" on it. I did well with it. The kick off stock is worth it's weight in gold. The comb is a little low on it for me, but he doesn't have any of the spacers in it. I'll have to go look at some when I can in the store. But I don't think outdoor world has the high rib one in stock or the Benelli with the high rib either.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Perhaps its just me, but I find that I much prefer the slimmer 20 gauge offerings from any of the "B" manufactures (Benelli, Beretta, Browning) than anything else. The Benelli and Beretta's especially just fit much better and swing much faster than a clunky 12 gauge. With the ammo offerings today, there really isn't anything a 12ga can do that a 20ga cannot. Just my $0.02.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3626 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Trap is my favorite of all the shooting sports. I prefer a lower comb and rib than most.

I mostly shoot Singles and Handicap with a Perazzi TM1. It was imported by Ithaca in the 1980s and is unmolested. I cannot accurately guess how many times it has been opened and closed, but it shows no signs of slop.

For doubles I currently use a Browning, but will upgrade to an MX8 in the near future as funds allow.

I too started using bird guns, originally a Mossberg 500 at the ripe old age of 19. Yes, you can break 25/25 with one, people do it all the time. However, a high quality break barrel will drastically improve your shooting, and most likely your enjoyment of the sport.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Benelli feels better and I find I shoulder it faster, M2 or Montefeltro.

My main trap SG is a Browning O/U I found at a great price.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the sound of it all you need is a Bridge Gun to tide you over until the Fabarms is back. IF you want a decent and reliable 12 gage semi I would suggest looking at a CZ 712.

I have a 712 that I have shot trap with and it worked pretty well in that role. However because I shoot Trap at a sound triggered range dropping the bolt did send the bird out just a bit earlier than planned. Also shot my 712 at Sporting Clays and there it worked out very well. However once I got the money saved up for it I purchased a Beretta 686 that is now my go to shotgun for busting clays. So, at present my 712 is setting in my safe just in case.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post