SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I Finally Got My Trump Gun. A Henry 45-70
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Finally Got My Trump Gun. A Henry 45-70 Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted
Well I placed this rifle on layaway on the 20th of January, 2017. I took the day off to watch the inauguration. It is my Trump gun. An all American gun for an all American President. Caliber 45-70, a great American caliber, for our 45th President who will be 70 years old. Who will also be a great American President. Someday I will hang this over the hearth (when I buy a house with a hearth).

Sorry the pics are not too good. This rifle is a work of art. The bluing, the case hardening, perfect. I almost feel bad about getting my fingerprints on it. (almost).

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
That's a nice looking rifle. The forarm looks a little like a Schnabel in the way that it narrows.

Did you come up with the 45th President/ 70th birthday idea? If so, you're a marketing genius. Henry, or somebody, needs to start cranking out some commemoratives!

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Lol no I wish I did come up with the idea. I heard about it around inauguration time and I thought "what they hey, I need something to commemorate this moment".

All American Rifle, all American caliber.

posted Hide Post
That is one nice looking gun. I love my Henry Golden Boy lever action.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Nice looking thumper- reloading is the way to really afford shooting that beastie and get the best performance from the cartridge- congrats.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Nice gun,and reloading is the way to go.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I keep telling myself I need to get into reloading. Even just a single stage to start.

I don't travel much anymore so I have no excuses now.

Love the octogonal barrel. Classy in my opinion. And heavy. I need to weigh it but wow. Solid. The wood to metal fit is great.

I've been looking at Winchester 1873's on Buds. Color case hardened in 357 I think.

The only 45-70 I ever shot was a friends Marlin (guide gun?) Holy moley what a thumper! And they were 405gr "cowboy" loads. I bought two boxes of ammo from Midway, a Winchester 405gr lead and a Federal 300gr soft point. Yow know, in case there is a rogue dinosaur in the neighborhood. Smile

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Just some comments. You almost can't find an easier round to reload. Everything is big so no finger pinching. Depending on the powder you select, you can cover a wide range of velocities. And if you double charge a case, it'll just pour out the top. There is nothing wrong with a good single stage press, but a lot good.

Back in my ill spent youth, I wanted some mild shooting rounds to put through my 1873 Springfield. The friendly local gunshop loaded some up for us. Very cheap back then. Be careful of shooting them across an open field. You can actually see the bullet sometimes. As it does its rainbow arc out to whereever.

Don't go all out at first. Instead look for bargains. Particularly if you want to shoot lead bullets. You can sometimes find them at private tables at gun shows on the cheap. I have no pride and even buy partial boxes of bullets when I see them cheap. The same for brass, sometimes a partial box of shells with a few live ones left, but the empty brass as a throw in.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
That's a nice THUMPER!

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Sweet rifle! My wife got me the "Trump" .45-70 stainless Henry for Christmas - actually just put the first rounds through it today!!!!! I absolutely love it!

That's a fine looking stick with that octagon barrel!

Posts: 823 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle. You're going to love shooting it and reloading for it. So many options.

If you really want to have a ball, swing on out and I'll let you put a few through the Sharps. Big Grin

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I have the "All-Weather" version and I LOVE this Thump-master!!Henry really out-did themselves!
By the way, the trigger is AWESOME!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post