SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    224 Valkyrie Vs 6.5 CM
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

224 Valkyrie Vs 6.5 CM Login/Join 
posted
Was looking into 6.5CM and now I'am thinking 224 Valkyrie.

Any one shooting one yet, how do you like it?

Posts: 1153 | Location: western, Washington | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Kinda apples and oranges.

6.3Cm is more of a bolt gun thing, though you can put it in an AR10.

.224V is an AR15 thing, built to fit that envelope. You could put it in a bolt gun, though that's kind of pointless, lots of better options in that case. I suppose it might make sense for someone buying factory ammo. But to that end, is there any factory ammo? I'm not interested in it, but if I were and I wanted one in an AR, I'd be waiting a while before I bought one, to see if reality matches the hype, or if it's just another flash in the pan.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
I am in the same boat. When reload data comes out from the top 3 powder manufacturers, then I will look at the 224V in the AR.

Posts: 474 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
The 224 Valkyrie seems to be having some feeding issues in threads that I am following. There is factory ammo being made for it. I'm sure they will eventually get the feeding issues ironed out. I was initially interested, but I'll let others be the beta testers.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Federal is making ammo for it as it seams to be their brain child.
I already have a 6.8 and would only require barrel change. Have to read up more on the feeding problems.

Posts: 1153 | Location: western, Washington | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are your goals? Based on your caliber options, I suspect you're looking for long distance accuracy.

Determine whether you want a bolt action or an AR.

Review ballistics tables. The Hornady 140 ELD has a G7 of .305 and can be launched up to 2800 fps with factory ammo. The 90 grain Valkyrie has a G7 of .257 and factory ammo will generally have MV of 100-125 fps less than the Creedmoor.

Are you looking at a permanent change from 6.8 to Valkyrie? If so, then a barrel change works. If you plan to shoot both calibers, different uppers are a better idea.

I haven't shot a Valkyrie, but in last year's Team Safari match, the JP team used Valkyrie rifles without cycling issues. Their scores were pretty good.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bearstarr:
Federal is making ammo for it as it seams to be their brain child.
I already have a 6.8 and would only require barrel change. Have to read up more on the feeding problems.

I am invested in 6.8, so the Valkyrie is interesting to me also. I just want to get an excellent barrel for my build.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post