SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My Stock Stinks....Literally
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Stock Stinks....Literally Login/Join 
posted
I purchased a nice unfired 700P from a guy who was a smoker and loved cats. The stock smells like cigarette smoke and cat piss/ litter box. I’ve tried airing it out for weeks and I’ve tried to wash it with mild detergent ...no luck. Any advice?

Posts: 752 | Registered: January 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try rubbing it down with a paste of Baking Soda/Water or white vinegar or Lysol with hydrogen peroxide (newer product on market).

Another thought is wiping down with carpet cleaner/pet odor remover.

Hopefully someone will have better ideas.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Try OdoBan: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Od...e-911061-G/202560626

It's a concentrate you mix with water, 30:1, water to concentrate. We have cats and they're 99.999% of the time very good, but occasionally... This stuff kills it.

You'll probably have to take the stock off the gun to do a thorough job.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Why fight cat piss, buy a new stock.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1532 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:

Yup, why would you want something the cat peed on to be riding alongside your cheek?

I have a cat (she never had an issue with my guns) and I wouldn't be ok with that.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Because the stock on that rifle is a $470 HS Precision stock?

A cat didn't necessarily pee on it, any more than the PO likely blew cigarette smoke directly on it. It simply absorbed the abundance of odors to which it had been exposed and the new owner, his sense of smell not blunted by regular exposure to those odors, is very sensitive to them.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Fresh coffee grounds work well as a deodorizer.

Sunlight will also kill odors.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

A cat didn't necessarily pee on it, any more than the PO likely blew cigarette smoke directly on it. It simply absorbed the abundance of odors to which it had been exposed and the new owner, his sense of smell not blunted by regular exposure to those odors, is very sensitive to them.

Exactly the situation , ty. I’ll try some of these suggestions.

Posts: 752 | Registered: January 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Ozone generator might be a solution. They are used to kill smoke in hotel rooms.

Cabelas sells hunting models.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

In that case, just wipe it down with hopes #9, hopes makes everything smell better!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bleach and water solution, a little elbow grease and brush.

clean the solution off with warm, soapy water.

Try it on a small spot first, to see if the bleach and water solution will jack-up the finish on the stock.

If not,,, re-paint it?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Man, good luck with whatever you wind up doing with it. I picked up a '71 Gibson that smelled exactly like what you're describing, with the original case. There was simply no getting around it, and half the suggestions in this thread would have ruined the guitar. I had to let it walk after a few months. If I left it out on a guitar stand or hanger, it stunk up the whole damn apartment.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
You can just leave it outdoors with a little bit of sun. Should get rid of any smell in good time.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
In that case, just wipe it down with hopes #9, hopes makes everything smell better!

Then it will smell like Hoppes #9, stale cigarette smoke and cat pee.

quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
If not,,, re-paint it?

Repaint a $470 synthetic stock...?

quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Man, good luck with whatever you wind up doing with it. I picked up a '71 Gibson that smelled exactly like what you're describing, ... I had to let it walk after a few months.

Yeah, wood, and no doubt unfinished in the interior, would've absorbed those odors and emitted them forever.

We've an old pepper or coffee mill we tried keeping in the living room for a while. Can't tell you what scent it was giving off, but it was nasty and would fill the entire room. Tried everything w/in reason to get that out of that wood. No joy. We've left it sitting out in the garage for about 15-20 years--hoping it would get frozen-/baked-out. I think the smell may finally be gone. Only way to know would be to bring it back inside.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:

Repaint a $470 synthetic stock...?

Yup. People paint stocks that cost a lot more than that.

I'd try rubbing it down with Balistol. With all the coughing you might not smell the smoke.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
Ozone generator might be a solution. They are used to kill smoke in hotel rooms.

Cabelas sells hunting models.

This ight actually be the ticket. I thought Ozone was a joke until I bought one for my hunting gear. I was impressed to say the least. I tested it with just baout everyhting I could think of.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by abnmacv:
Yup, why would you want something the cat peed on to be riding alongside your cheek?

Hmmm, Sounds like my first wife.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I've not heard any baking soda answers yet.

You're down to:

a) live with it

b) soak it out

c) cover it up

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:

Hmmm, Sounds like my first wife.

Guess I left out replace it.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post