SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My Stock Stinks....Literally
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Stock Stinks....Literally Login/Join 
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
I've not heard any baking soda answers yet.

3rd post in the thread.

I called McMillan about what they used to paint the stocks if had to open up a barrel channel. They told me at the time that it was an automotive paint (GM?) and I'd probably be OK just to just rattle can a small section, esp. in a barrel channel.

I'm thinking a few boxes of baking soda dumped on top of the stock in a foodsaver bag. Leave it until doesn't stink anymore. Dunno if that would work.
Atsko has an odor killer that I've used for helping my hunting activated charcoal gear bags but it's pricey.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would try a mild solution of white vinegar and water and wiping it down with that. White vinegar will usually remove stuff. The best thing to do would be to call the stock manufacturer and ask them for recommendations, as they know exactly what finish the stock has on it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LRS2
posted Hide Post
+1 on the ozone generator. These things are amazing.

Posts: 43 | Location: KY | Registered: April 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Repaint a $470 synthetic stock...?

It's done all the time, Cerakote (my preference) or Duracoat.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Soap and water.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Try calling your local Servpro or similar type company. They may do it for next to nothing, or for a minimal charge.

Otherwise I think your best bet would be heat/sunlight. That's the only way to open up the "pores" in the plastic and let the smell out, as it were.

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Put it on the dash of your car on a sunny day, also put a bag of activated charcoal ( they use it for fish tanks, or some medical supply places have it to absorb accidental ingesting poisons)

The heat will release the odor and help kill the stuff and the charcoal absorbs the smell.

I used this to remove cat spray in my old truck.when my friend left the window open

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post