SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    FN PS90 thoughts
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN PS90 thoughts Login/Join 
Picture of CQB60
posted
Curious to know the thoughts of FN PS90 owners on the platform? Was it worth the investment? Pluses & minuses? Thank you

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s only worth it as a SBR imo. As a Steyr AUG fanatic, given its design lineage I had to have one. That coupled with the fact that it’s frankly amazing FN offered these for commercial sale, and the PS90 is a must own as a reference piece.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of it is how you feel about 5.7x28. If you’re OK with the performance and price of the round, then it’s great. 50 round mags. Better as an SBR than with the 16” barrel.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely love mine, zero recoil and all sorts of giggles. I've had my Form 1 back for at least 3 years on it, still need to engrave it and swap the barrel. One day I'll get around to it.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
Absolutely love mine, zero recoil and all sorts of giggles. I've had my Form 1 back for at least 3 years on it, still need to engrave it and swap the barrel. One day I'll get around to it.

Ha. I did the same. Had approved F1 that was almost 10 years old before I finally finished the project.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a fun gun and definitely worth buying, lots of people went the SBR route but I had no issue with the 16 inch barrel. Ammo is a little pricey but no worse than some other calibers. I didn't shoot mine much but when I did the PS90 was accurate and never malfunctioned. The only downside to some of the first generation guns were crappy sites. In some lighting conditions it was tough to see the reticle. If you want one buy one as they are cool futuristic looking guns.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
I have had one for many years as an SBR and it is one of my favorites. Never had a problem with it.

Posts: 1199 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I agree that it's simply a fun gun. I've had mine for years and I enjoy it, even if it's not an every range trip sort of gun.

Since E-forms are coming back pretty quickly, or at least were when I did my last ones, I do want to SBR it.

My only qualm is the sight. I have the old ring sight, and it's lackluster.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one years ago but it was pricey to shoot compared to other calibers. I wanted to make it a SBR, as that is the main reason for getting one,(in my opinion), but I didn't have the funds at the time and wound up selling it. The prices for now are up there if you are looking to get one soon. I am interested to see if Ruger can get things going with the caliber and if other brands jump in making carbines for it. Locally, I have seen the prices of the FN 5.7 pistols decreasing, as I think with the advent of Ruger making a pistol in the same caliber for cheaper, more people will spend half the amount for a similar gun, so to speak. If the Ruger takes off, I can see some people selling their PS90 carbines cheaper if they never really planned to hold onto them in the first place,as other carbines won't be far behind.

On another note, a cheaper option, if you wanted the look of a PS90 but not having the caliber/expense, you could get a 18" barreled Ruger 10/22 and get a kit like the PS90 body. Years ago I bought one of the Red Jacket Firearms ZK-90 chassis systems and installed it on my 18" Ruger 10/22 barreled upper. It was super accurate, the trigger pull was not bad and cheap to shoot. My son and I shot it all the time and was a blast. I wound up selling it recently, as I got into lever guns and loading the 10/22 mags hurt if you don't have a loader.There are a few different chassis systems out there as well.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:

Ha. I did the same. Had approved F1 that was almost 10 years old before I finally finished the project.

Glad I'm not alone, ha

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At one time the early ones, while the sights weren't the best, were commanding a premium as far as pricing goes. I haven't priced any of them lately, but I suspect they are still worth a premium compared to the newer models.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
I agree that it's simply a fun gun. I've had mine for years and I enjoy it, even if it's not an every range trip sort of gun.

Since E-forms are coming back pretty quickly, or at least were when I did my last ones, I do want to SBR it.

My only qualm is the sight. I have the old ring sight, and it's lackluster.

You aren’t stuck with that ring sight. Mine was an originally green Gen 1 with the white ring sight. It’s easily swapped out with a rail that lets you mount any optic.

I thought about SBRing mine, but it takes a bit of work to swap barrels, which I suspect it’s the reason that people lag on actually making the SBR.

The only reason that people were willing to pay extra for the early generation was for the mythical Gen 1 trigger pack. Given that someone (Man Kave?) now make a replacement Gen 1 hammer, I wonder if that’s still the case. Should have sold my pack back when there were still rubes out they willing to pay big bucks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dwill104,

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
I have a Vortex Venom on mine works good and is small so it looks good. As far as the barrel change it is easy just use a wood dowel to push the old barrel out. It keeps all the spring in place when you insert the new short barrel.

Posts: 1199 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also depends on whether you want to save the original barrel and FH shroud by carefully drilling out the blind pin holding it together.

posted Hide Post
It's a really fun gun to shoot. Almost no recoil and very accurate to 100+yds.

IMHO the caliber is too light for a primary self defense weapon but it's easy enough to shoot it might be just the thing for someone recoil sensitive.

If you can afford one it's a great gun for the collection but I wouldn't recommend it as a only or primary firearm.

One helpful hint that all should note is that if you are letting your Girlfriend or Kid shoot it, NEVER load the entire 50rd mag to its capacity because they are NOT going to want to stop shooting until the Magazine is EMPTY!! Just figure you are handing them $25+ bucks with a full mag. :-) :-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Good aftermarket support for trigger, extended charging handle and top/side rails.
SBR and suppressed is the way to go.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had quite a few of them for some time. The plus is that its a very interesting design shooting an odd cartridge. Fun to shoot, extremely reliable and durable. Short,low recoil 50 round mag. The negatives are the trigger sucks, the parts situation can occasionally suck, the height over bore sucks, trying to run it fast sucks. If I was really just trying to find a way to shoot 5.7 I would at this point probably just get the CMMG, fixes most of the bad points. If its something you like the pricing is not out of line with other odd low volume stuff.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Sincere appreciation & Thanks for the feedback. I took the plunge on one since the price was right & the only drawback I found was the price of the ammo which Im optimistic will improve since Ruger intro’d their 57.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Congrats, and enjoy. It's a wholly unique firearm in a sea of "variations on a theme." It's a hoot to shoot, and it puts smiles on shooter's faces.

Other than the drawbacks already listed, the only other thing I can add as negatives are that sling options suck and the Urban ERT sling is the standard for a reason. Light and optic mounting options also used to suck, but have improved a bit. DesignMachine, linked below, makes all kinds of neat stuff for the PS90.

quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
The only reason that people were willing to pay extra for the early generation was for the mythical Gen 1 trigger pack. Given that someone (Man Kave?) now make a replacement Gen 1 hammer, I wonder if that’s still the case. Should have sold my pack back when there were still rubes out they willing to pay big bucks.

It isn't mythical. The first generation came with a trigger pack that included an auto/safety sear. So they're drop-safe. It's also part of what makes the gun fire full auto (combined with some other stuff I'm not going to get into because it doesn't seem smart), which is why they removed it from the PS90 and FS2000 after the first generation. So if you have a Gen 1 trigger pack, it's drop safe. If you don't, whatever you do, don't slam the butt of that very short gun on a hard surface.

I prefer to think of it as a safety sear, and while my guns don't have them, I would like to eventually acquire them. Just not in the budget at the moment.

https://dmachineri.com/product...e-ps90-aluminum-sear

If you decide to mess with the trigger, watch this first:

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The auto/safety sear was in there through the Gen 3 trigger packs. Gen 1 to Gen 2 was just color of the housing. The main difference on the Gen 3 pack that that the new gray hammer had the notch on the front much higher up than on the Gen 1/2 hammer.

https://fnforum.net/forums/fn-...ger-pack-sticky.html