SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    CZ Scorpion with full length hand guard or standard? Modifications?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ Scorpion with full length hand guard or standard? Modifications? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I’m looking to buy a CZ Scorpion Carbine as a PCC gun for USPSA matches. However, I’m looking at the model with the larger hand guard over standard. Large hand guard Any preference or reason not too?

It looks like I’ll end up getting a different charging handle and safety lever, anything else? Probably top with an Aimpoint PRO.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about the 16” Scorpion carbine? AFAIK, the differences between the two models are that one has a fake suppressor covering the barrel instead of the muzzle device. The handguards are the same, I think. Other than the charging handle and right side safety, I added an enlarged paddle mag release and the HB lighter trigger springs to my carbine.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Extended hand guard as stated in the link would be my choice for extending the support arm as far forward as possible. The PCC guys are ticking me off...I don't have one yet Big Grin

Most guys change the grip and add extended safety etc. Put a pic up when you get it all together.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I originally thought that might be a distributer model since its not on the CZ site. But it doesn't look like it. I eventually added an extended handguard to mine and find it works better overall in PCC. So if you can buy it that way I would. Safety is the only must do item to go shoot a match. I have no issues using the stock grip. I did change the charging handle but it wasn't truly necessary.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I have both the "fake suppressor" and the pistol with folding brace models.

You will want the:
HBI AK-47 safeties (both sides)
Trigger kit (reduced my trigger pulls by 2 lbs.
"paddle Safety"
extended bolt levers
Flat trigger shoe

DSCN1113 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Photo Nov 18, 11 04 27 AM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Oh, and you REALLY need to replace the grip with the Yeti Wurks Switchback grip.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I started out with a EVO Pistol and mostly shoot suppressed, so when the carbine came available I started checking the CZ website and jumped on it as soon as it was available.

I looked at a couple different grips but didn't see any significant benefit ... I look at it like, it was made to fit the the typical guy and it has a reasonably good texture, and I particularly like the flare at the bottom ... I considered getting an aftermarket grip my thought was about what was I really going to gain with the aftermarket grip, it's actually the same diameter as a stock AR grip ... Since I just shoot for fun and don't compete I decided the factory grip was fine for me.

The factory charge handle is another story ... I always thought the one on my MP5 was small, the the EVO handle seems even smaller, but I didn't want something just bigger, which was all any of the aftermarket companies were making were just bigger. I kept hearing rumors of a folding handle like an HK-9x and Manticore finally came through with what they call their "Switchback" it's exactly what I was looking for and I ordered it instantly ... My only problem with it is that it's not spring loaded to close kike the HK, it relys on inerita to swing the handle closed and about 1/2 the time it does fold, the rest of the time it just sticks about up 2" from the handguard ... I wish it had a spring, but I think if it had just a bit more weight it would work reliably evert time. One of these days I may drill about a 1/8" hole near the end and put in a lead weight ... But for now it is what it is.

Oh yeah, as Rolan pointed out, you will want the Safety Delete for the right side, unless you're a lefty! Personally the factory mag release works fine for me and when I installed the 922r parts, the trigger pull was about 1.5 to 2 pounds lighter ... While I do like a flat bow trigger I haven't changed mine and probably won't unless I get into competition.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Damn that is sexy. That’s really speaking to my love of the epacegun look.

Posts: 17112 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I decided I don’t like the larger hand guard I linked to. The faux suppressor isn’t my favorite though it does look kinda cool and a better forend to grab.

The search continues. This Colt Carbine is calling my name as well.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Most of the PCC guys I'm exposed to dislike the Colt mags for reliability, cost and the abundance of the many stick mags available. They to a man all run a carbine for Glock mags. Some of the newer setups are now bolt hold open on last round capable. That would be high on my list as well as the Glock mag style.

I am so accustomed to the AR platform, my PCC will be as mentioned above. Long hand guard, last round bolt open, Glock magwell, ambi controls and 8MOA red dot. Gathering up the build components will take me awhile...

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post