SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bought an M1A Scout Squad
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought an M1A Scout Squad Login/Join 
Picture of SVTNate
posted Hide Post
I've had the M14/variants on my brain for a while now.

Does anyone have any experience with the LRB M25 Tanker rifles? The internet tells me that they are significantly "better" than the Springfields, but everyone I know personally that owns a Springfield M1A loves it.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Guns, cars, Cuban cigars

Posts: 2570 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.flickr.com/gp/140206755@N02/951B17
I too bought a socom and love it. Put it in a new chassis and like it even more now.

Posts: 114 | Registered: February 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SVTNate:
I've had the M14/variants on my brain for a while now.

Does anyone have any experience with the LRB M25 Tanker rifles? The internet tells me that they are significantly "better" than the Springfields, but everyone I know personally that owns a Springfield M1A loves it.

Send me an e-mail and I can build you one.

tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The M1A Scout is a great rifle. I have had mine for eleven years and really enjoy shooting it.

Magazine question ... I bought most of mine through 44MAG.COM. These are by Checkmate Industries who I believe (but could be wrong) makes the mags that Springfield uses.
http://www.44mag.com/product/m...a_m14_magazines_usgi

Optics ... I have had scopes with the excellent Bassett Mount (http://bassettmachine.com/) and a 2x Aimpoint. I know have an EOTech and love it. I am not shooting at 400 yards and inside that, If I can see it I can hit it with the EOTech.

Cheek Rest ... You will find that with most optics you will benefit from a cheek rest. I have a Bradley Adjustable on my M1A Scout and it is rock solid. Solid product and a great company to work with. http://bradleycheekrest.com/

Ammo ... When I had he scope on, my rifle would print sub-MOA with the three brands I ran through it ... Federal Match 168gr BTHP, Remington 168gr BTHP Match King, and American Eagle's 168gr loads that had the M1A on the box. Lately I have been shooting a lot of Freedom Munitions 168gr (NEW) BTHP. As others have said, the gun will run on anything and shoot all well.

Helpful stuff ... Get these tools for your M1A.
https://www.gggaz.com/m14-m1a-...r-cleaning-tool.html
https://www.sadlak.com/product...n-cleaning-drill-set
https://www.sadlak.com/product.../gas-cylinder-wrench

Enjoy your rifle!!

Posts: 499 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SVTNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:

tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Tony.

Lordy, I checked out your site, then I googled M14 forums, I found an old post that you participated in regarding LRB... and I kind of went down the rabbit hole.

This rifle platform is tough for me to figure out, as a casual observer with no real knowledge about the rifle... just a guy who wants to buy once, cry once.

Springfield sucks, now I learn that a lot of people think LRB sucks, then it sounds like none of the M14 receivers out there are made properly... I don't know what or who to believe or which direction to go.

Sorry to take this thread slightly off topic, I've been researching M14's a bit lately and I just get more confused the deeper I look into it.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Guns, cars, Cuban cigars

Posts: 2570 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Ok. Ok.

First, can we address that "Tanker" M14/garand rifles don't exist. They don't. Stop please. They are a commercial construct. Do experimental examples exist? Sure, as experiments.

A lot of people think LRB sucks now?

Great!

Do any of these people have any idea what getting a quality semiautomatic M14 clone has been like in the last ~20 years?

It's so easy now, perhaps these people can spend the time and effort saved, to fuck themselves.

Hey.

The commercial parts available today for the M14 are amazing. It's a good thing. The obfuscation remains, unfortunately.

The real history of the rifle is important, and the correct commercial history is as important or even more so today.

Let the truth be out, and fact prevail, and only thus.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SVTNate:
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:

tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Tony.

Lordy, I checked out your site, then I googled M14 forums, I found an old post that you participated in regarding LRB... and I kind of went down the rabbit hole.

This rifle platform is tough for me to figure out, as a casual observer with no real knowledge about the rifle... just a guy who wants to buy once, cry once.

Springfield sucks, now I learn that a lot of people think LRB sucks, then it sounds like none of the M14 receivers out there are made properly... I don't know what or who to believe or which direction to go.

Sorry to take this thread slightly off topic, I've been researching M14's a bit lately and I just get more confused the deeper I look into it.

There are only a few individuals that bark real loud about LRB's and most of them have never owned one. For the most part, the arguments have all but disappeared and now there's merely snarky comments from time to time. I've got three LRB's that I've built myself and have built maybe five or six more for other people.

I've owned and eventually parted out one SAI rifle and re-barrelled a few others for customers. I've built one GWLA but they are out of business now. I only barreled one Fulton but it was a good receiver.

I own three complete Bula rifles that I built myself with a fourth in the works. I've probably built ten or more Bula rifle kits for customers. I now only use Bula parts for my builds (except barrels).

If you buy a rifle from LRB, it will be a fantastic rifle.

Of the four companies that actually make complete M14's, LRB and Fulton put the most attention to detail into their builds. A custom builder will be able to produce a similar quality build.

Of the four companies that make complete M14's, Bula makes, in my opinion, the best parts and are easier for the home/hobbyist builder to assemble. Bula stands apart from the others because they actually make every major part that is used to make their M14's (except the barrel blanks). They only source rear sights and flash suppressors but they have plans to produce flash suppressors this year.

LRB has less involvement in how their parts are made because the contract out to JV Precision out of Seymour CT to make their receivers, bolts and gas cylinders. I rate LRB and Bula receivers the same in quality.

Lou (LRB) started as a gunsmith and gun dealer who decided to produce M14 receivers using an outside contractor that makes receivers to his specifications. Bula Defense originated as a forge company that made M14 receiver, bolt and trigger housing forgings for 7.62mmfirearms and decided to get into the M14 manufacturing business after 7.62 went under.

Bula Defense is actually a division of Bula Forge. Every Bula part is designed and produced from US steel from raw bar-stock to forging, to machining and heat treating. They only contract out the final parkerizing and nitriding of certain parts. They have an outside contractor perform destructive (hardness) testing. That's the reason that in the last four years they've come out with standard receivers, M21 DMR receivers, XM21 receivers and a left handed M14.

Because Bula started out as an established forge company that decided to get into the rifle business, they have zero startup costs. That has enabled their prices to start low compared to LRB. As an example, Bula forged receivers start at $600 while LRB's start at $860. Bula stripped bolts cost $145 while LRB stripped bolts cost $200

Both Bula and LRB do destructive/hardness testing on one receiver and bolt from each lot.

SAI parts are made from castings that come from abroad (most likely Taiwan and Canada) and as far as I know, the final machining is done in house.

My favorite barrels are Criterion, Wolfe (made by Criterion) and Kreiger. I have had good luck with Bula barrels and they are really cheap. I've got two Wolfe barrels and they are very impressive.

I was going to offer to build you a Bula rifle with a Criterion 18.5" barrel. It would cost somewhere between a SAI scout and an LRB tanker. But since the thread took a turn, I figured I'd clarify my thoughts.

I'm not saying SAI's are junk and most people will be happy with theirs. The OP's rifle is a nice rifle.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SVTNate
posted Hide Post
Tony, thank you for sharing that information and helping me understand the M14 market a bit better. I'll be in contact.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Guns, cars, Cuban cigars