SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bought an M1A Scout Squad
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought an M1A Scout Squad Login/Join 
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted
So, I’ve been wanting this rifle for quite some time. I finally decided to pick one up this week. Mine is the FDE synthetic stock model. I don’t have any pics yet, but hopefully will get some and some shooting time this weekend.

I would be interested to see how you guys that have them set them up. What type of optic you prefer, what is your sling of choice, etc. Also, what about ammo? I see lots of surplus stuff out there. Any particular ones to steer clear of? I’ll mainly be shooting this rifle from 100 to 300 yds, probably not much further than that.

And magazines. Springfield has a deal going for 3 free 20 round mags with the purchase of an M1A right now, so I’ll be taking advantage of that. But, I’d like to get several more. Any brands/makes that I should avoid?

As you can see, I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to this platform. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Nice score. I wanted a Scout Squad, but got a smoking deal on a SOCOM 16, so ended up with that instead. Similar concept as the Scout Squad, just a bit shorter.

Honestly, I was pretty unimpressed with the factory scout mount. If you plan on mounting a scope or optic, you might want to look into eventually replacing it with an Ultimak mount, which replaces the entire handguard. It's much more solid and robust, but pricey. http://ultimak.com/m8.htm

The factory synthetic M1A stocks are cheap and flimsy. If you want something stouter, I'd suggest replacing it with either a surplus M14 synthetic stock, or a walnut stock. I went with a walnut stock from Boyds on my Socom, and I'm much happier with it. It's much more solid, nicer-looking, and thicker in the wrist for my big hand. I replaced the handguard with walnut too, since I'm going to stick to iron sights for the time being. (It'll eventually get an Ultimak and an Aimpoint, but that's not a priority for now.)

As for magazines, don't bother buying Springfield Armory, Inc. branded mags. They're made by Checkmate Industries/CMI, and you can get generic Checkmate magazines for cheaper. They're identical, but with a $10-$20 markup for just the SAI rollmark on the baseplate.

For example:
http://www.44mag.com/category/m1a_m14_magazines_usgi

As for a sling, that will depend on your specific purposes. Do you want to use it as a shooting support, or do you just want a carrying strap? A green cotton USGI M1/M14 web sling works well for most purposes, as both a traditional carry strap as well as a shooting aid when slung up. But there are fancier slings available for either of those purposes, as well as some tactical slings that allow for cross-chest patrol-ready carry and easy transition to a sidearm.

Sigforum member benny6 has made some excellent tutorials on disassembling/cleaning/lubing your M1A. (He also has similar guides on YouTube, if you prefer to follow along with a video.)

Disassembly:
http://www.m14.ca/Tony_Bens_Gu...lete_Disassembly.pdf

Cleaning gas system:
http://www.m14.ca/Tony_Bens_Gu...g_The_Gas_System.pdf

Cleaning rifle:
http://www.m14.ca/cleaning/Bas...with_Pictures_1_.pdf

Lube:
http://www.m14.ca/maintenance/...with_Pictures_1_.pdf

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
We have the ‘Scout Squad’, FDE synthetic. The Son likes the sights it came with, though I did open up the peep a hair.

Our stock has been redone in ‘navy digital’. It’s a serious thumper. I mostly order 147-150grn FMJ ammo in bulk, SGammo is the main source.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sourdough44,

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Ammunition to steer clear of? None, it's going to eat everything.

Magazines to steer clear of? Anything blued, anything generic, and anything over 20 rounds. One or all of these criteria points to Chinese garbage. Just get Checkmate, or some original USGI mags from a reputable source. By original, I mean the ones made during the 60's and 70's.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have absolutely ZERO need for one of those but these have been on my want list for many years. Eventually Im going to have to just bite the bullet and buy one.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
SAI chambers their rifles in standard 308 Win. They usually set headspace right at 1.630" which is SAAMI minimum. I recommend using US made ball ammo (Federal M80/XM80, American Eagle 168gr OTM, Winchester Q3130, etc...). You may have disappointing results with Herter's or other foreign manufactured ammo.

PMC 7.62 NATO is Korean but its good stuff.

You can reasonably expect around 3MOA to 5 MOA out of the box which is well within the accuracy guidelines of the original M14 design as acceptable for a battle rifle. Don't get heartbroken if the rifle doesn't shoot better than that. Accuracy in M14's comes at a price.

Click on the link https://www.youtube.com/user/tonyben3/videos for my full line of M14 how-to videos.

Don't shoot "light magnum" hunting ammo or anything over 180 grains. It's too hot and will damage your operating rod unless you vent off the pressure with a special gas piston or gas plug. There's no need to go that heavy anyways.

For you, stick to bullets and loads using 168 grains or less. 125 TNT's work well too.

Although not a SAI Scout, this is my Bula Defense 19.25" standard weight rifle with M14.CA scout hand guard. It's a really handy and fun gun.

If you're going to use a conventional scope, use a Bassett side-mounted scope mount and a Bradley cheek rest.

If you feel like something different, you can drop your action into this AG Composites carbon fiber CBR stock. It installs just like a regular stock except that after you drop it in, you bolt on the top handguard.

Enjoy your new rifle!

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5374 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much, guys! I truly appreciate all the info! I love this board Big Grin

Keep it coming! I would love more pics/vids Smile

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
https://www.cdnnsports.com/mia...__SID=U#.Wtpd0YpOmhA

Anybody have experience with these mags from CDNN? Made in USA and marked with a W. They are out of individual mags, but have them in a 4 pack with an Eagle Industries pouch for $99. Just curious.

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Use these and these only, unless the CDNN mags can be verified as CMI's.

http://www.44mag.com/product/m...heck-mate_industries

Tony.

Posts: 5374 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have one that I bought from WARPIG, and I love it.

It's wearing a Vortex 2-7 scout scope in Vortex high rings (which means that the iron sights are still useable), and I am getting 2" to 3" groups at 100 with it shooting the cheap Malaysian surplus that is floating around. I think the rifle will do better; I am not a particularly good rifle shot. I am considering replacing the trigger group to get a better break. I have also put a Specter Gear 3 point sling on it, replacing the VTAC shown in the picture. I really like the sling. It's comfortable, and if you are going to be carrying the rifle a long way, it can be rigged like a back pack on both shoulders. You won't get to the rifle quickly in that configuration, but you can carry it for ever without getting tired. The VTAC is now on my AR.

I find the SAI synthetic stock to be just fine for my purposes and have no complaints. The brake is excellent, and makes sure that recoil is essentially straight back. Blast to the sides can be impressive, but is not noticeable by the shooter.

I am using SAI, Checkmate and GI mags, and it has been absolutely reliable for the 300 or so rounds I have through it to date.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are the mags you want and a very good place to buy them:

https://www.44mag.com/category/m1a_m14_magazines_usgi

My other favorite place to buy Magazines is from Greg Cote LLC - a member here. But I didn't see that he had any Checkmate M1a mags available.

If you can find a GI hammer available somewhere you might want to pick it up. Mine factory M1a Scout hammer broke and I've heard of a couple others have the same happen in their M1a Scouts. Wouldn't hurt to have a backup.

Slicking up an M1a trigger isn't too difficult if you have a few skills. If you don't have the skills it should be too expensive to let someone that does work yours.

I hope you really enjoy your rifle! ...........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
I was able to put 80 rounds of Malaysian surplus ammo through the Scout Squad on Saturday. If I had known how much fun this rifle was going to be, I would have bought one a long time ago Big Grin

I did get 4 of the "W" marked mags from CDNN and used them for 40 of the 80 rounds fired. They functioned fine, although I only ran 5 rds at a time thru them.

Thanks everybody for your help, and esp. thanks for the links and videos.

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Good to hear, man!

Tony.

posted Hide Post
Enjoy you new scout rifle.
I do not have one but do have the M1A National Match with SS bbl.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The semiautomatic M14, or "M1A," will always have a place in my heart. Sit anyone behind one, and after they shoot, ask them if it felt like riflery. The answer is always yes.

Even on an $800 Norinco, if those can still be found, these rifles are like a time machine, back to marksmanship.

I've had numerous things to occupy me, so I don't know if the military is still employing them in DMR roles, or issuing Crazy Horse rifles. The reality is that with all the controversy surrounding its deployment that this rifle indeed has a place in combat, and history.

Even if you think they're garbage, as the last wood and steel rifle of our nation, they damn sure are good looking.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Speaking of good looking, all this talk of the OP's shiny new Scout Squad including an initial range report and yet, not a single pic! Seriously, this thread is useless w/o pics! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
Here's my scout squad. Still pondering how much I want to spend on an optic for a gun that I will seldom shoot. Most likely go Leupold MkIV to keep it somewhat "correct" without spending NF money.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
This was an expensive, but compelling thread. Smile

Came home from the LGS with a "Loaded" M1A and a couple boxes of target ammo. First step outside the 10/22 and SIG556 world, with respect to modern rifles.

Three 20-round mags incoming from Springfield due to an ongoing promotion. I assume, at minimum, I will also need/want a sling and a .308/7.62 boresnake and some M1A-specific cleaning/disassembly tools. What else would folks recommend to an M1A newby?

The manual suggests this might be my only firearm that is not drop-safe. Also, I gather that sloppy handling and/or non Mil-spec ammo runs the risk of a 'slam fire' when cartridges are chambered. Well, I knew going in the M1A pre-dates a lot of things I have come to rely on in the more current designs. So, 'more than usually careful' will be the watchword, while getting familiar with this beastie.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Enjoy it, and post pics!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
While I have ABSOLUTELY no practical use for one, I’ve often found myself fighting the urge to pick up an M1A Scout Squad. So far I’ve been able to resist.

Posts: 3518 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post