SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    High power shooters in 5.56 mm what do I have?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High power shooters in 5.56 mm what do I have? Login/Join 
posted
I obtained this from a person who shot it in NRA high power matches and says it is sighted in at 600 yards. I have had custom .308s (GAP & AI) but never any rifle like this in 5.56.

I have never shot high power.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oG5x3vf4P3R4DoI62

https://photos.app.goo.gl/OxvwXut7ctTsxMlu1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EcViLZGLLX3z0aTh2

What do I have?

How far is it accurate? I know 600 yards but further? He has custom loaded 69 grain bullets he used in matches.

Can you shoot glass optics on this in any NRA sanctioned matches. My limited exposure is shooting F class & 1000 yards a few times. I have never even seen a gun like this.

The receiver says Eagle Arms Armalite M15A2. I do not see a name on the upper but was told the bolt is titanium. Barrel is stainless and it has black tape on it. It is about 48“ long.

Bipod is BSA marked

It feels like it weighs 15 lbs but I have not weighed it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tschiemer,

Posts: 2558 | Location: Ark, USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You show what is known as a "space gun."
It would enter Highpower competition with iron sights as a "match rifle" or with a scope in the "any-any" division. That is, any rifle, any sights.

The National Match course of fire includes shooting standing slow fire 200 yds, kneeling or sitting rapid fire 200 yds, prone rapid fire 300 yds, prone slow fire 600 yds. Shorter ranges get reduced size targets.

There is one small division that allows the bipod to be attached... but not used. Perhaps your guy uses it for ammo testing.

http://competitions.nra.org/do...oks/HPR/hpr-book.pdf

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I know people who shoot .223 in long range matches, out to 1000 yards. But it's hard to make it work. You have to use a heavier bullet than 69gr (usually 80 or 90gr) and you have to push it pretty hard to keep it supersonic all the way to the target, which tends to beat on the rifle pretty hard. IMO, 600 is a more practical boundary. That said, there are people - including SigForum's own NikonUser - who do shoot .223's very successfully at 1000 yards. It can be done, you just have to really want to do it and be willing to put in some work on it. You will need a fast (1 in 7) twist barrel for the heavier bullets; if the original owner only used 69 grainers, it may only have a 1 in 9 barrel.

For new Highpower shooters, an issue-type AR-15 with iron sights is the least expensive way to get started, using it in the Service Rifle category. The NRA has added a Service Rifle with Optics category as well, that allows the use of a limited range magnifying optic on an otherwise Service Rifle legal gun. Your rifle will not qualify for that category no matter what sights or optics you put on it. For a number of those shooters who stay with the game, a "space gun" in either Match Rifle or any/any category is the next step. It gives you better sights and trigger compared to a Service Rifle, and usually a longer barrel (longer sight radius for aiming, and a somewhat higher muzzle velocity).

The buttplate is adjustable for length of pull and probably for cant and height, to allow you to custom fit the stock to your shoulder in different shooting positions. The doohickey attached to the bolt release is usually called a BAD, or Battery Assist Device. It lets you trip the bolt release with your trigger finger (assuming you shoot right handed) so you don't have to break down your position to reach over the top of the rifle.

F-class, which allows both magnified optics (as powerful as you want to pay for) and a front rest, is split into two groups: F-Open and F-T/R. F-T/R (for Target Rifle) is restricted to either .308 Win or .223 Rem and allows an attached bipod rest. F-Open allows pretty much any caliber you want to use, and a separate front rest. You sometimes hear it referred to as "Belly Benchrest" because equipment-wise it resembles benchrest shooting more than it does conventional highpower. It is a variant of highpower though, and the rule book linked to by Jim Watson will have all the details in it.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The guys above nailed it perfectly, especially Expert308 with his detailed answer.

The diopter sights that your friend is talking about, are probably some type of competition peep sights in which you can have a small lens adjusted to your vision (hence diopter). You'll need to post a picture of those sights when you get them.

This type of rifle is fun to shoot and can be very precise. The upper is a specialized one that allows you to cycle the action manually. I can't remember who makes those, but they are very good uppers.

The grip has what is called a "palm shelf," I tried one of those grips in the past and it actually hurt my hand when shooting prone. I took it off and replaced it with a David Tubb grip. I have very long fingers and the extra thickness of the DT grip is very welcome. (Before you ask, I hate the regular size A2 grip.) All my ARs except for my NM have bigger grips.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Members are so helpful that I never cease to be glad for those willing to share knowledge.

I have emailed to ask if he has
Come-ups — bullet drop 100-1000 as I will shoot with a scope as this is most familiar; alternatively, if he has velocity data; even if this was a factory round, it would be difficult, I imagine as the barrel length is long; I have his load information as well- and he said it likes 69 over 77 at 600 yards. Will clean and shoot soon.

PS I got a reply:

I used a Sierra Ballistics chart. Loaded with "Perry Powder" which is Accurate Arms 2520 and 24 to 24.5 grains and 69 g HPBT bullets. With a 100 yd Zero — 5.5 or 6 MOA for 600 yds. The sights are still set at 600.

Posts: 2558 | Location: Ark, USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tschiemer:
I used a Sierra Ballistics chart. Loaded with "Perry Powder" which is Accurate Arms 2520 and 24 to 24.5 grains and 69 g HPBT bullets. With a 100 yd Zero — 5.5 or 6 MOA for 600 yds. The sights are still set at 600.

Those drop numbers look odd.

For my 20" barrel AR-15. Muzzle velocity of 2811 fps with Federal GMM 69. Sight height of 2.5". Density altitude of 6,000', which is almost certainly thinner air than you will see. Zero at 100 yards.
600 yard target requires 14.0 MOA of elevation

Backing in to a 5.5 to 6.0 MOA elevation at 600 yards per JBM produces a muzzle velocity of at least 3,850 fps. That ain't happening.

5.5 to 6 MOA gets me to the 350 to 375 yard ballpark.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my rifles the SMK 69 bullet is more accurate than the SMK 77. This is based on factory loads from Federal, Fiocchi, and Black Hills. The downside to the SMK 69 is that it gets tossed in the wind quite a bit more than its heavier counterparts. I still have a few boxes of SMK 77 ammo from Federal and Fiocchi, but I'm not replacing them as I shoot them.

If you're looking for lower wind deflection, I recommend the Hornady 75 HPBT, or better yet the new Hornday 73 ELD-M bullets.

"How far is it accurate? I know 600 yards but further?"

600 yards is no chip shot with a 223. Further out, things get more interesting. I've shot SMK 69 out to 900 yards at sea level in an 18" barrel rifle. The bullet began to tumble after 800 yards. Ability to hold elevation at 700 yards was quite good, however guessing south Texas winds was a nightmare. Ability to hold elevation at 800 yards was iffy, as the bullet was only borderline stable, and IIRC was already subsonic.

At my elevation I've shot FGMM 69 out to somewhere around 750 or 800 yards from 18" and 20" barrels. The bullets held elevation OK, wind drift was challenging. In precision matches I've shot 75 HPBT and 73 ELD-M bullets to right around 700 yards, at steel targets of 10" to 12". In Wyoming and New Mexico winds, these were tough shots. Doable, but wind calls had to be spot on.

Sure, 223 bullets fly a long ways, but keeping them on target with an AR at 600+ yards means everything has to be done right.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm going to concur with fritz on that.

I just pulled my data for my F-TR AR-15 rifle and using the 80gr JLKLBT with a 300 yard zero, my come-up is 9.5MOA, almost 10MOA. My MV is 2850 and the BC of the 80JLK is 60 G7 points higher than the 69SMK.

I'm almost thinking that he meant 15.5 to 16MOA, not 5.5 to 6.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
never heard of 2520 being called Perry Powder before,

but I have been out of the game a while

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
never heard of 2520 being called Perry Powder before,

but I have been out of the game a while

Yeah, it is. They even say that at their website.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/...view=15&product=2520

What can I tell you? It's on the internet so it must be true.

Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
5.5-6.0 MOA is close to my 300-yard adjustment, not even close to what is needed for 600 yards.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Maybe I missed it but the upper is DPMS LO-Pro (I've got the Hi-Pro) made from extruded aluminum (IIRC), for a rear pin you have a JP Enterprise rear pin that requires an allan wrench to remove ... it pulls the upper and lower together rather than using a rubber wedge that pushes them apart and just keeps it from rattling, the pins look like Rock River, and I can't remember who makes the BAD lever ... I've got one on a varmint gun I built years ago ... no way of knowing what the trigger is ~ it could be one he cut himself from a standard trigger ... that's how we did it back in the day. I had the same Ergo grip and made a shoe from a Wilson 1911 trigger on mine so the tip of my finger hit the trigger just right.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Shot across the course CMP out to 600 yards a few years back using my Rock river Match. Originally using 69 grain loads out to 300 and switching to the 80 grain at the 600. Later when the 77 grain was released, I used that load for the entire match. 24 grains of varget in Lake city cases was extremely accurate.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post