Picture of dwd1985
posted
Null

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dwd1985,

Posts: 4448 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Huh. The 2022 is now officially the 2023. It would definitely be interesting to learn where the pistols and suppressors are going.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
IIRC, the US Army bought a batch of a few thousand SP2022s over a decade ago, which were put towards arming the Iraqi police/military.

These are likely also destined for use as foreign aid. I don't foresee the US Army trying to field a small number of SP2022s among our own forces.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Likely for foreign friends of ours.

“Look, we come bearing gifts. We have the SIG SAUER, 9MiliMetre submachine gun and the SPTwenty, Twenty-2. It’s really ahead of it’s time.”

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
IIRC, the US Army bought a batch of a few thousand SP2022s over a decade ago, which were put towards arming the Iraqi police/military.

Some kind of Tank Command, and I think at least some went to Columbian police.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I can’t speak for the other weapons, but the 2022 is a great choice for anyone. It is bar none the best out of the box DA/SA pistol out there.

This also quashes the rumors and grumbling of some that the 2022 is destined to be discontinued.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fnforme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

These are likely also destined for use as foreign aid. I don't foresee the US Army trying to field a small number of SP2022s among our own forces.

This is interesting because the way those weapons, along with the Sigma, ended up in allied hands is that a defense contractor won the bids based on what the army articulated they wanted and then relied on language that existed in the contracts to approve a suitable replacement that met the same specs. This is different because the army itself seems to be awarding the contract to Sig Sauer.

Posts: 3419 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: April 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fnforme:
This is interesting because the way those weapons, along with the Sigma, ended up in allied hands is that a defense contractor won the bids based on what the army articulated they wanted and then relied on language that existed in the contracts to approve a suitable replacement that met the same specs. This is different because the army itself seems to be awarding the contract to Sig Sauer.

Yes, gov't contracting is a wonderful web of fine minutia, double speak, and self licking ice cream cones.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I can’t speak for the other weapons, but the 2022 is a great choice for anyone. It is bar none the best out of the box DA/SA pistol out there.

This also quashes the rumors and grumbling of some that the 2022 is destined to be discontinued.

I've wondered about this from time to time. There are those who think the P2022 is a great gun, Bruce Gray included, and I agree. The price is outstanding especially used.

Yet, you hear so little about them, generally there really isn't much love for them at all and now only a couple of model out. So, I've wondered what keeps them going? Why does SIG keep making them especially with the new polymer and striker fired options.

I guess this is the answer.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
quote:

I've wondered about this from time to time. There are those who think the P2022 is a great gun, Bruce Gray included, and I agree. The price is outstanding especially used.

Yet, you hear so little about them, generally there really isn't much love for them at all and now only a couple of model out. So, I've wondered what keeps them going? Why does SIG keep making them especially with the new polymer and striker fired options.

I guess this is the answer.

There are a lot of foreign military contracts out there, no doubt.

The other thing is that at one point, SIG had a marketing plan that listed the SP2022 as their "beginner" pistol, or the lowest one on their list. Next came the P320. Then the classic metal guns. They didn't want the P320 to be viewed as their "bottom line" gun. So, to manifest this optic, they kept the SP2022 around.

I think one of the biggest detractors is something that is said over and over again. That the SP2022 is a "poor mans" P226. And frankly, it isn't a "poor mans" anything. The SP2022 is a great pistol. I shot IDPA with one all season last year. With nothing more than a set of sights added. If you shop around, you can find 9mm SP2022s for the $400 range. It is outstanding for what you get.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jerry... I'm curious to understand what criteria, info, and perspective you used to form that opinion, such that it's above anything else. Thanks!

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
quote:

Jerry... I'm curious to understand what criteria, info, and perspective you used to form that opinion, such that it's above anything else. Thanks!

It's above everything else from the out of the box perspective. A P226 can certainly be tuned to do more than the SP2022.

Out of the box, the SP2022 is capable of-

The best DA trigger out there. Every sample that I have picked up on the SP2022 breaks pretty clean at around 10 very smooth pounds (sometimes a might less). When you pick up some P226s or P229s, they are horrid out of the box. I just bought a P229 a few weeks ago, and the DA is a gritty 14 pounds. Some traditional P Series guns come with very good DA feel. A recent batch of contract guns I got to mess with were probably the best of the metal P Series world. It is hit and miss. The SP2022 just isn't. Add in 10k down the pipe and twice as many dry fires and it is as good as it gets.

SA- Out of the box SA is sometimes described as longer than necessary, and people want an SRT for the SP2022. Most of the guns I have handled/owned/shot have a respectable SA. The pull is generally very good, and the reset not too long, and certainly no longer than non-SRT P Series guns.

Accuracy- The gun is absolute and blows the other P Series guns out of the water. In a recent video I posted on our students page, I took some Precision Delta 147 grain ammo and went 7/10 at 100 yards on a steel chest plate. And the first three, I'll attribute to figuring out the hold over with the 147 grain ammo. The gun is scary accurate.

Recoil- Recoil is subjective from person to person. But, I have a set of standards that I hold to to test recoil. The SP2022 has a slower, less sharp recoil than of the P229 9mm. I do a sight track drill, and the SP2022 shines.

Adjustments- The Adjustable back straps make the gun a great fit for multiple shooters. Once you figure out the desired grip, you can change out the grip module/back strap to get the proper leverage on the trigger in the DA pull. Which is probably most important.

As I said, all of that is comparing out of the box, to out of the box. The P226 with needed customizations is and always will be king.

Once I get the holster made that I want, I'll probably go back to carrying the SP2022 off duty. Right now, I can't find the exact holster that I like for that gun (manufacturer doesn't make it, and won't make a one of, but we're working with another vendor to supply a clone).

www.opspectraining.com

Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, Jerry! I appreciate it.

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

They also purchased Glocks, Rugers, S&W Sigmas and possible Walthers. I believe TACOM, Tank and Automoitve Command was the purchasing organization. I saw them in Iraq and ASTAN. The Army also lost track of a bunch of them.

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
The SP 2022 was my first full size bought. I wont lie, i still got it. got a few thousand rounds through it. I still fire it on occassion. Needs a new barrel I think, but otherwise it only got better with age. Hands down best pistol I own, and I got 5. The SP2022 is why I think glocks are shit and will always be shit.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Hopefully no German-sourced parts are involved, otherwise the German SIG export ban to the U.S. will be extended out to infinity and beyond.

I do like the SIGPro's trigger. We just got another couple in the shop and a used 2340 showed up. Really nice double-action pulls; arguably the best SIG has ever done for a production DA/SA pistol. I haven't figured out why SIG NH has been limiting MPX configurations for civilian consumption; all I can order are 4" barreled pistols and the carbine. All my customers want are the 8" barreled ones that I can't get, at least according to my rep. Maybe SIG knew this was coming and this is the reason why. Damn military contracts; always making life tough for us civilian consumers...

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Confirmed.

The SP2022s and other SIGs are destined for Foreign Military Sales.

https://www.armytimes.com/news...ery-wheres-it-going/

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ksss
posted Hide Post
Interesting mix of rifles.

Posts: 390 | Location: idaho | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
been carrying 226s on duty for years. My current 226ST has been worked on by Burke. Great shooter and smooth DA/SA . That said I just picked up NIB 2022 with night sights, took it to range training, never having fired the gun I shot our qual better than my duty 226. Jerry is correct , for out of the box a great gun. Now is my off-duty carry in a new old stock Don Hume high ride.

Posts: 305 | Location: Chicagoland  | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post