SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Did you really hate the 556?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did you really hate the 556? Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
I know there were some complaints about SIG's execution of the 556. I know some people flat out hated them.

Did you like them or hate them? And why?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I had a friend who had one and I got to shoot it. It was whatever version they came out with which finally had the correct Swiss furniture on it. Of the many guns he offered to sell me over the years, that’s definitely one of the ones I should have bought off him. Good trigger, very accurate with, IIRC, Radway green. A cloverleaf at fifty yards with irons off the bench my first five rounds. I was immediately impressed and should have bought it from him. Damn good rifle, it was one of the “good ones” that snuck out the factory. It was soft-shooting, accurate, easy to work, good ergos, gas-regulated and you could shoot it with the stock folded if need be, and with it folded, it was a compact package.

SIG USA’s sloppy QC, discontinuing them, and not providing followup support was a massive failure on their part. That could have been a contender on the domestic market.

I really liked the rifle. I hate how Sig bungled it.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I have a love hate relationship with mine. I love the incredible reliability, hate the weight.

It took a while to find the right load. Once I did, the accuracy got a lot better. Mine now wears a low power scope and is used for varmint control and the rare hog hunt.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I had a good one, and liked it. I enjoyed shooting it and it was fairly accurate with 55gr Lake City. But liking it wasn’t enough to make me keep it. I eventually sold it.

I could not get used to the right-sided charging handle, when I could use my left hand to charge an AR, FAL or SCAR. That was one of the reasons I decided to part with the 556, to standardize to left-side charging rifles.

I was also not happy with the lack of parts and support from SIG. Aftermarket support started off strong, but then dried up considerably. Adios 556.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being a bit of a SIG addict I've a few of the original ones (not the xi). They are terrible at least in any comparison to a similarly premium priced AR. The list of issues I've had is pretty long and varied and I won't write a novel about it, but the two that were really, really annoying were the canted rails problem and accuracy that absolutely sucks.
Sig never really made much progress on either.
And like usual left us stranded on parts.
Mine are boringly reliable of course.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have a very early build and I love it. I mean it’s a little heavy and the fish Gill stocks could be more aesthetically pleasing. Other than that my only complaint was having to source and add my own irons.

Still have mine. Still like it. No complaint beyond SIG being SIG and ditching it so quickly.

My rails were straight and with heavier grain ammo it is plenty accurate.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I still have a couple. Like the improved reliability of piston action enough to keep the folding stock versions I have. Easy cleaning, no twang in the ear when firing, and I experienced acceptable accuracy.

Cons include the original high price, and extra weight. They also throw dented brass ahead and right into next county.

The huge closeout price drop and lack of support so soon after the introduction have left such a bad taste I will never again support Sig with a new gun purchase.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1990 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I have an early 556 with factory folding M4 stock other than those heavy fish gill handguards which I changed I have no complaints. It's been perfect never any issues and a straight rail too. Smile

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
I love my SBRs, and have been craving a real 553 or a 551 for a while now. Great ergonomics, reliable, and just plain something different.

It is not sub-MOA, but a carbine doesn't need to be. I've never quite understood the hate, it was a reliable gun at a surprising value (go price a 553 in Switzerland).

Sure, the gun Sig first came out with wasn't exactly what everybody wanted, but Sig really, really needs to be commended for the rapidity of the evolution of the 556 product line, and how closely they listened to their customers. We don't like those handguards, OK, here's a clone of the originals. We want a folding stock, here ya go... no, not that one, like the original, Gotcha. We want diopters...can do.

Seriously, how long was it before Ruger released 10/22 mags with more than ten round capacity?

The P556 was the first mass market SBR ready "pistol". Then, along came the "brace", which has revolutionized the market.

Bottom line, I still shoot mine regularly.

Posts: 831 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I had three of them at one point, several years ago. I liked them. They were like a German engineered AK.
But when it became apparent SIG wasn’t really going to support them, I bailed.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one with green furniture, I really liked it. I wish I still had it.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have two that are still NIB: An original fish gill bought the week they were released and a 556 classic. I even have a Victorinox bayonet and two or three spare part kits. Plus I have a 522 with a second target barrel (which I have shot about 100 rounds through). I really can't decide whether to just shoot them or sell them. With the soft market, I just keep sitting. I do wish SIG hadn't stopped supporting them. If they hadn't, I'd be shooting them as I like the design.

I think the lack of support is the real complaint I have except my fish gill is just ugly.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
I had three of them at one point, several years ago. I liked them. They were like a German engineered AK.
But when it became apparent SIG wasn’t really going to support them, I bailed.

Same story here.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
Originally I liked them. I bought one of the first 300. Didn’t have a canted rail and seemed to run well. The longer I had it the more I could tell that it was really more of a budget priced imitation of the Swiss guns. It started to lose favor with me as the platform didn’t really develop as I hoped and as newer models seemed to not only maintain their somewhat inexpensive feel but also seemed to lose their reliability. When SIG stopped supporting the rifle I sold it to a friend that was interested. I now own an Actual SAN SIG 751 SAPR, and I really appreciate how cheap the 556 was in comparison to the originals. Owning the real deal also put me solidly in the “hate it” category for the 556. I am glad I no longer own any SIG Sauer products and plan to keep it that way.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like them a lot. I have a very early 556 - lower than 001500 serial #. Swiss internals. I replaced the ugly fish gills with the Swiss hand guard and put a UBR stock on it. I have had the 556 since 2008. So far not a single malfunction of any kind and pretty good accuracy - especially with heavier bullets. It is heavy, but it doesn’t bother me. I’m not taking it on long patrols, so a little extra weight is okay.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I had one and far prefer it to the AR. I liked the feel and how the heavier front end balanced for me. The thing operated as smooth as a sewing machine and no annoying twang of an AR.
My department won’t allow their use and with Sig discontinuing support and parts I sold mine.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nice rifles IMO

sad they didn't stick with them with support and periodic enhancements

nice alternative to a standard AR.

now they're pretty much a novetly sadly

I would snatch up a P556 if I ever found one at a decent price

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

Mine will never be for sale. Awesome gun in a nicely sized package...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

Only Sig "rifle" I regretted selling

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I have two, one of the original ones and one of the pistols.

I haven't shot them in ages, but I never had any problems with either of them, aside from the aforementioned weight on the rifle. Never got around to ditching the fish gill handguards and was annoyed at the lack of real 55x sights (has the ones built into the rail) and the bullshit takedown pins with screws.

I'd really like to SBR my pistol, especially since the F1 won't take long, but I worry about putting a gun on the registry that doesn't have support, so to speak.

Out of idle curiosity, now that you've got me thinking about it, do they have standard 1/2x28 muzzle threads?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post