SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Who still uses the Aimpoint Comp M4/M4s?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who still uses the Aimpoint Comp M4/M4s? Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
And why? I guess I understand, if you already have it and don't want something else, it makes sense.

So, actually, I should ask, who still wants to buy a new M4/M4s? The thing is darn expensive.
The ubiquitous nature of the AA battery used to be the main selling point for these RDS. Otherwise, the thing is big/bulky and heavy.

Sure, it has very long battery life. But, so do most other RDS these days.

Sure, it's battle tough. But, so are the Micros, which are not only tough, but so much smaller and lighter. And, the button batteries are just as easy to find as the AA.

I suppose, if I find a killer deal on a Comp M4, I'll buy it. But, there are no other reasons.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
I know of one person who does. Why he does I have no idea. He opted for it over a micro at the time.

I still have an old comp m2 that I use but have had it for years and still going strong. As for anyones I've bought in the last 4 years, its been all micros. I see no benefit to the m4 as you said in weight and aa batteries.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My personal HD gun wears a micro.

That said, the M4 uses the most common battery, is the most rugged, has the longest battery life and has a wider FOV. On a combat or SHTF gun, those factors can be worth the extra ~4oz.

It's also Army issue and that opens a lot of civilian wallets...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On my true shtf guns that's my go to. Not that I don't feel some of the other options probably wouldn't be ok but I have shot so many rounds and abused them so much I have 100% comfort in both durability and usability.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10970 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Not an M4, but I have a Comp M3 and I'd still buy an M4 if I was looking. For the simple reason that I like the larger view. I used a T1 and I liked it, but I did find I preferred the larger opjective of my M3. Nothing a little familiarization couldn't get you past, but I'm comfortable with the larger unit. Hell I'm archaic by todays standards, I have a TA31H-G on one of my AR's and I love it Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Why? I don't feel like buying another $400-700 RDS to replace it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
Still have Comp M3's and PRO's on a few rifles. I like the larger FOV.

Posts: 2676 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I'm still running a Comp ML2 on my blackout/SHTF suppressed SBR.

I already owned it, and as you stated and others have mentioned, that was certainly a factor.

The battery life is years. I've left it on accidentally for months at a time. It just lasts forever. It's never fogged, never failed, holds zero through drops and constant bumps. It's been strapped to boats, wheelers, and airplanes. I've dragged it through the sands of Afghanistan (though this one was never fired in combat) and the rain forests of prince william sound.

I just like it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is only indirectly related to my earlier post. I now have decades of experience using aimpoint sights. And I have bought each new model. Every single one of them is still used on something. It's a lot of units. And not a single one of them has ever let me down. I can't think of another gun product that approaches that record.
Of them all the pinnacle for me is the m4s in overall terms. Everything after isn't an improvement.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10970 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I had a Comp ML2 and I really liked it. Only sold it because I sold the rifle it was on. I don't like the Micros at all, I'd rather an ML2. Down side is I don't think you can get them fixed anymore.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a M4S and a 3x magnifier. Had it before they came out with the smaller versions and do not plan on replacing it. I do not have a problem with its weight.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run two Aimpoint PROs (5.56mm AR and Tavor). I also have a Comp M4s on my .45 D/I AR.

I personally don't like the Micro red dots. The tube is too small for my liking. I'll stick with the larger sights.

Posts: 184 | Location: Maine | Registered: December 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I have an Aimpoint Pro on one of my rifles and it's great. I'm the second owned and it's seen some shooting and is on the money. Same battery still running (I always have a spare just in case). Nicely made. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
And why? I guess I understand, if you already have it and don't want something else, it makes sense.

So, actually, I should ask, who still wants to buy a new M4/M4s? The thing is darn expensive.
The ubiquitous nature of the AA battery used to be the main selling point for these RDS. Otherwise, the thing is big/bulky and heavy.

Sure, it has very long battery life. But, so do most other RDS these days.

Sure, it's battle tough. But, so are the Micros, which are not only tough, but so much smaller and lighter. And, the button batteries are just as easy to find as the AA.

I suppose, if I find a killer deal on a Comp M4, I'll buy it. But, there are no other reasons.

Some people just want USGI stuff. The weight difference is mostly a bench racing issue among the serious home operators club. The battery availability issue isn't one in the western world. I know someone who used an AA powered RDS while he was deployed because no matter where you go, they sell AA bateries.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'll add that in my line of work, I've seen a bunch of M4/M4S - M68CCOs that have been ragged out, but they still work.

And as mentioned, AA batteries are easy peasy to find. Don't need to go to the CVS / Walgreens / what have you to find them.

For new purchases, I'll continue to go with T-2 or PRO models for price, but I'm glad I have an M4S. I have mine on a 16" AR15, not an SBR, so the weight isn't an issue.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an old Comp M that has always worked.
I traded off 4 micros for MRO's and kept only one micro, it's nice and small but I prefer the MRO.
I have an m4s that I bought with a micro for 1k.
All on different carbines with their own uses.

Posts: 286 | Location: midwest | Registered: May 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one on one of my rifles, no reason other than I got it a while ago, and just don't feel the need to replace it.

Posts: 759 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
I have a CompM4. I have one rifle I built for durability above all other considerations. The M4 is woodpecker lips tough. The electronics are so efficient if I ever had to fish a remote out of a couch and scavenge the batteries; I would probably get several years out of them. If size/weight doesn't matter, M4 is king. YMMV.

I also have a H1, CompM2, and an uncommon CompM2-2x. They are all great red dots.

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2125 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do.
Comp M4 on an LMT defender.
I like the larger field of view, and the AA battery. Oh, something about $150 used with LaRue mount.
Used, yes, but outside of slight wear around the edges, not a damn thing wrong with it!
Granted, I don't need the Night Vision settings, my days of playing around with NVGs are long over, but for $150? Can't pass the deal up!

Sure, I'd like a micro or a smaller RDS, and if a deal comes around for one of those, I'll jump on it, until that day I'll keep my heavy-assed M4 on my brick of an AR. Id like to go lighter on both gun and optics, and probably will when I get around to building one.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I still have mine, on the SR-15. Because it works and hasn't worn out. Don't mind the size.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post