SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Preferred lower 1/3 mount for Aimpoint Micro?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Preferred lower 1/3 mount for Aimpoint Micro? Login/Join 
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted
Hi all,

Just purchased an Aimpoint T-2 for my AR, and I'm looking for a lower 1/3 mount. I've done a lot of investigation so far of all the major options. I just want something sturdy and minimal, no real need for QD but if it is then great. I've narrowed it down to these 4: Geissele, Daniel Defense, Scalarworks, and Bobro. They each have their pros and cons.

Geiselle - Perhaps slightly below what many consider true "lower 1/3", rock solid stability and RTZ, slight bolt knob protuberance.
Daniel Defense - Solid stability, lightweight, traditional aesthetics, the spacer could be a worry?
Scalarworks - Solid and lightweight, semi-QD, solid RTZ, the slight cantilever design hinders rear lens cover from sitting fully down.
Bobro - Solid stability, QD, traditional looks, QD release lever sticks rather far out, could gear catch issue?

For those of you with experience using these, what are your thoughts? Note that I have specifically eliminated Larue and ADM from consideration for various reasons.

Thanks for your time.

Chris

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I have La Rue and ADM mounts atm, my next mount will be a Scalar for sure.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Daniel Defense reminds me of cheap Chinese garbage. Not a fan of their mounts.

I like Geiselle and Midwest Industries personally.

Bobro, fat and HEAVY!!

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I have one of these for my MRO:

KDG SIDELOK

https://kineticdg.com/product/...impoint-t1-t2-h1-h2/

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used a bunch of different ones.
No to DD for sure not in the same league as others.
I really like the Geissle mount if you don't want a QD. solid and rugged.
I happen to like the Bobro, and especially like you can get it with right side lever which matters on lots of guns like SCAR, side charging AR, etc. I would not consider it "heavy". The QD is way better than most.
I don't have the scalarworks but I would never want a bunch of holes in the mount to catch on all sorts of things even if it saved weight.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scalarworks - light, slim, very high quality, QD with no protruding knobs or levers (important for me since I shoot wrong handed).

And they make outstanding fixed iron sights as well.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may wish to consider the LaRue LT660. I've run that on my work carbine with my Aimpoint T-1. Never any problems. Superlative QA/QC by LaRue. I ran the quick-detach model. It always returned to zero.

Sorry, I have no experience with the others that you mention and so won't comment.

Good luck!

Posts: 81 | Location: SW PA USA | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Reptilia. Slim and streamlined, absolutely beautifully blends into the upper. Not QD, but very solid. Not super expensive. Basically a better Geissele.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Scalarworks is so fine.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Geissele.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matthew03:
Scalarworks is so fine.

I never have seen the Scalarworks before but that looks pretty dang nice.
I have mostly used ADM because of price and versatility but also have some Bobro (best quality) and even Larue (least favorite) but the Scalarworks is impressive. Cool

Posts: 22854 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of ADM mounts for 2 Micros and a Romeo 5. They aren't as new and cool as some mounts, but they still work great for me.

If I was buying new, I'd likely get Reptilia as I have some of their RMR mounts and they are great. But not enough to replace known good / zeroed rifles with ADM Mounts. Geissele looks good as well.

Then again I look at the time / effort to purchase, install, and zero (ammo too) to ensure the sight is 100% zeroed at range as "costs", so I make moves only when they make complete sense.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Scalarworks - light, slim, very high quality, QD with no protruding knobs or levers (important for me since I shoot wrong handed).

Late party bump for Scalarworks. Love the mount.

Posts: 3238 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expat:
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

Late party bump for Scalarworks. Love the mount.

This is the way.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by curnarski:
You may wish to consider the LaRue LT660. I've run that on my work carbine with my Aimpoint T-1. Never any problems. Superlative QA/QC by LaRue. I ran the quick-detach model. It always returned to zero.

Sorry, I have no experience with the others that you mention and so won't comment.

Good luck!

LaRue gets my vote, too.

Been using several of their mounts with T1s for a good number of years and I love 'em.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the recommendations! Scalarworks it is. After examining the pros and cons of each, I decided I'd give Scalarworks a try. After all, "This is the way". Used a coupon at Brownell's too. Wink

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post