SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Updsted- Signed up for my first Appleseed event
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Updsted- Signed up for my first Appleseed event Login/Join 
posted
Been wanting to do one of these for a long time and the stars finally aligned.

Has anyone ever been before? Any tips?

My main question is what to bring. I have an old savage bolt action .22. Its old with old school sights. Never really been able to group with it but that's why I'm going.

I just got a ruger pc9 that I think I would prefer to use as I just got it and really want some extended trigger time with it.

I also have an AR I could use but the ammo cost would be up there.

Can I bring more than one and rotate them or should I just try to stick with one?

Should I use this as an excuse to finally get a 10/22?

Update:
I did the appleseed this past weekend and will post my thoughts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Scurvy,

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a terrible time to get a 10/22. Its basically mini sniping so what ever it is you will want something that can put them in a cloverleaf. Oh and can mount a sling.

Its a very good course, I think you'll really enjoy it.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I did mine with a S&W MP15-22. Most every used a 10/22. If you have older eyes, I would get a fiber optic front sight or a red dot sight to use.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Have done 2, both with my wife. Lots of fun, great way to spend a weekend.

Bolt action is possible, but to be fair to yourself recommend you get a 10/22 or something similar. They are timed event from different positions and working the bolt is not ideal - though I do plan on doing one with my CZ 452 one of these days.

Get the GI sling, and make sure the comb is right height for your cheek and comfortable for prone, standing and kneeling. Nearly everyone shoots with a scope - cannot recall any irons. Bring a shooting mat depending on where you will be but will help ensure comfort for two days.

Shoot SV / subsonic if your rifle is accurate - hyper rounds tend to be less accurate / have flyers. Shoot good quality ammo - i.e. I have some Remington Golden and Winchester I bought during the dark days and it is unreliable/flyers so while good for plinking - not my choice. I shot Aguila and Federal 40 gr as that is what my rifle favors.

Good luck - it is a lot of fun!

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So if I decide against getting a 10/22, would I better off with my pc9 than the bolt action .22.

Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
So if I decide against getting a 10/22, would I better off with my pc9 than the bolt action .22.

Depends on range and organizer. My range allowed rimfire only - .17 hmm or .22. Call / email and ask. But auto is better, you will be surprised at time, reload, precision needed

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Centerfire is allowed.

Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Get a 10/22. I did it with an AR, though I was the only one. You'll want a semi-auto with 10 round mags.

Posts: 3657 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may feel a bit weird doing it with an AR as most everyone has a 22. I took my Acr and had a great time, everyone was cool but I felt like a guy with a loud truck at a Bentley convention. I have a biathlon 7-2 and I think thats what I'll take to the next one.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Following.
Been wanting to do one, but will need to figure out a speed load method for my Marlin 60. Single feeding a tube mag is no fun in a hurry.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Following.
Been wanting to do one, but will need to figure out a speed load method for my Marlin 60. Single feeding a tube mag is no fun in a hurry.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015314374

I use one of these with my Marlin 60. Not as fast as swapping a magazine, but significantly faster than single loading rounds into the tube.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rogue, I'd seen those before but hadn't seen any first-hand user review.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've done one Appleseed. It's a ton of fun. Do yourself a favor and buy a 10/22. You'll appreciate the ability to focus and apply the fundamentals theyre teaching, rather than beating up yourself and everyone on the line with your AR. Put your pride aside and listen to what the instructors are asking you to do. There will likely be young kids there as well, but it's not child's play. It's likely that they will outscore you, so don't be ashamed. They're better students than we are. There were several adults in my class that didn't return for day two because they were in too much pain to continue. It can be physically and mentally exhausting.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wasn't looking to bring my AR really, mostly for cost as stated above.

I would however be keen on bringing my ruger pc9.

Maybe I'll start keeping an eye out for a cheap .22 semi.

Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
I wasn't looking to bring my AR really, mostly for cost as stated above.

I would however be keen on bringing my ruger pc9.

Maybe I'll start keeping an eye out for a cheap .22 semi.

I got this 10/22 with a gray stock a couple years ago when it was the Collector's Edition, I forget who had it but it was like $205 shipped. I'd pay $220 and still be happy. $25 voucher for mags from Ruger, get a 3-pack of 10rd or the 2-pack of BX25.

https://palmettostatearmory.co...-od-green-31115.html

Toss on a GI canvas sling, grab a couple more mags, and you're all set.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did the Appleseed this past weekend and had a total blast! I would highly recommend this for anyone who just wants to spend 2 days practicing general rifleman and marksmanship skills.

I wound up borrowing a 10/22 from a buddy with a little 4x scope on top. I had to get creative with some paracord to mount the sling as it had no mounts.

It worked fine but I wish I had picked up my own .22 rifle and set It up for myself. LOP and eye relief were issues for me all weekend.

My other regret is not investing in a proper shooting mat. They said a carpet remnant would be fine but we were shooting on gravel and it was brutal even with that and some cheap below pads.

I didn't qualify for rifleman and I didn't expect to (missed the whole second half of Saturday due to a family emergency) so I was learning the standing and sitting positions on the fly.

Can't wait to do another one and also building a proper .22 sized appropriately for me.

Fun story: one lady there cleared all 4 redcoat targets and qualified for rifleman on every AQT she shot. Very very impressive!

Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
I'm glad that you had a good time. As they will tell you, not everyone qualifies the first time.

As someone said earlier, there will be kids that will outshoot you, as they are better at listening that we are.

At one event that I was at, there was a nine year old girl by me and by the end of the day she was shooting like a pro. She easily outshot both me and the guy on her other side.

The history lesson was incredible too.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post