SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SIG AR15 any good?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG AR15 any good? Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
I'm looking at a SIG M400 Elite. Your thoughts on SIG AR rifles please. Thanks.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only caught few reviews on YT but looks like people enjoy them.
I'm getting the Elite Ti today. Checks all the boxes and looks good too Smile
My first AR so won't have anything to compare it to.

Posts: 25 | Location: Sunny Flats. | Registered: October 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I had a "basic" M400 some time back. I don't recall the exact model, but it was a straightforward 16-inch collapsible stock carbine with the usual removable carry-handle setup.

Solid AR, no complaints. I wound up trading it away - no fault or issue with the gun, there was just something I wanted a bit more at the time.

If on the AR market, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The guts are good, and the barrel is hammer forged.

The rail is a UTG/Leapers but I guess the value would depend on price.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
My only experience is with their 516, but if the quality is at all similar I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
My first Sig was a PM400 that I quickly fell in love with, and led me down the sbr road. It's a solidly built rifle, and it seems to be made from quality parts. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Sig AR, if the price were right and I were in the market.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have the M400 enhanced and I love it.

Stock trigger is pretty good for an AR trigger. I prefer it to the Smith & Wesson and Colt 6920. Comes from the factory with ambi mag release, has quick release sockets built into the lower, and is very tight. This AR has no "AR rattle" due to a spring loaded set screw in the grip that allows adjustment of the upper to lower fit. The gun feels very solid.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ArtieS,

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LDD:
The guts are good, and the barrel is hammer forged.

LDD, I can't find it anywhere that says the barrel is hammer forged, only says nitride treatment. Where did you read this?

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by techguy:
LDD, I can't find it anywhere that says the barrel is hammer forged, only says nitride treatment. Where did you read this?

Unless they are buying barrels from someone else, all SIG rifle bbls are CHF in Exeter. It's always been that way on their MSR lines.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:

Unless they are buying barrels from someone else, all SIG rifle bbls are CHF in Exeter. It's always been that way on their MSR lines.

Thank you.

We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I have the basic with installed magpul grip forearm and stock.

I like the controls. The trigger was gritty as expected. I polished the flats and sear with dremel and polish. It helped, a lot. I've shot >1" 3 shot groups at 100 yds with Federal fusion. Could be luck with such a small group. It's decently accurate for a basic AR.

It seems a bit heavy compared to other ARs I've handled. I don't know, maybe it's in my head. I like it. The ejection is crisp and consistent. It has a 1:7 twist but I've not shot anything heavier than 64 grain projectiles

I like it pretty good.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Picked my Elite Ti yesterday and it looks very well made. Everything is tight and well finished.
Trigger is really nice.
Will report how it performs once I take it to the range.

Posts: 25 | Location: Sunny Flats. | Registered: October 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an M400 and ordered it over the net years ago without ever actually holding one. I was impressed with the extra features it had-ambi bolt release,mag. release and ability to have a sling on the lower itself. The only thing that was not a surprise is the quality. Sig makes a great product.

Posts: 6874 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have an M400 Enhanced with the Magpul furniture. It has been completely reliable. The only thing that I didn't like was the heavy, gritty trigger. I replaced it with a Geissele, so problem resolved. I like the extra features mentioned in other posts. It is well put together with quality parts. It just exudes quality. I have two friends that also have the Enhanced, and both of them like theirs as much as I do.

Posts: 655 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: September 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
Cant speak for the 400 but my 516 is one of my favorite AR's. Reliable and accurate. But I did have to replace the stock trigger with a Geissele SSA-E.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finally had some time and went to the range to give this setup a well deserved shooting time.
I really like it. I'm new to the world of rifles so can't compare it to anything else but I was able to keep +/- 1" groups at 100 yards after sighting the scope which I see as a great success Smile
360 rounds and zero malfunctions using 55gr XM193J.
Very happy.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Every firearm can be "any good". Confused

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rebel Without a Clue
Picture of squad13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Every firearm can be "any good". Confused

Disagree, the remington R51 is awful.

Posts: 958 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:

Unless they are buying barrels from someone else,

they are, from ruger.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
When it comes to ARs I see no reason to deviate from proven performers who generally specialize in the platform.

DD, BCM, Colt, FN, etc.

Not Johnny-Come-Lately types that could easily drop their product at any time.

YMMV.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post