SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    300 gr.- 325 gr. waddcutter
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 gr.- 325 gr. waddcutter Login/Join 
posted
if a guy could locate such an ammo

would it feed in a lever action rifle ?
(i think not)

would a .20 gauge pump action work a lot better?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54480 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
In what cartridge?

A lot of .45-70 loads use 300-400 grain bullets that aren't all that different in profile from a semiwadcutter.

I don't know about 20 gauge, but there are 12 gauge Winchester 1887 levergun clones available.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah but has anyone ever tried slug /waddcutter in one and had it work as its supposed to ?

Posts: 54480 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
???? What cartridge are looking to load in or what are you trying to accomplish?

Your question is too vague to answer.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
wadcutter as in shaped like a 38 wadcutter?

flush with the case rim?

if it will feed in a Colt 1911 or S&W 52, why would it not feed in a lever action rifle, say a mod 92?

it should,

swc's will

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10407 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
???? What cartridge are looking to load in or what are you trying to accomplish?

Your question is too vague to answer.

HA! This is about par. Someone swing through that speaks "bendable" and translate. Big Grin

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8835 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
I'll go ahead and assume:
You do mean 45-70.
You don't mean wadcutter flush with the case mouth.

With those two assumptions I'd suggest visiting Buffalo Bore's website.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If by "wadcutter", you just mean "solid lead with a flat point", then such loads are also available in .44 Magnum. And yes, it should feed in a lever gun.

Posts: 32404 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Some lever actions will give trouble feeding cartridges that are shorter in overall length than normal. I would guess that a cartridge loaded with a true wadcutter bullet seated flush with the case mouth wouldn't work in the Marlin .44 magnum I have, because it tries to double feed .44 special ammo loaded with a light weight SWC bullet.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Posts: 26846 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
They make "ogival wad cutters" is some calibers/weights, but they probably wouldn't feed well either.

250gr Ogival Wad Cutter, 335gr Wide Long Nose, 340gr Wide Flat Nose (all .452")

A blurry 250gr .452" OWC and a 300gr .512" OWC

And an unnecessary picture of some out of order foster slugs, 16, 20, 12 & 10

(didn't see my 410 slug on the bench)

I've killed deer with both 45-70 and 20ga slugs and both worked like they're supposed to. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cas,

Posts: 21039 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Don't recall ever seening a full waddcutter in 300 gr.- 325 gr that would feed in a lever rifle. However if you got something that large that needs a good kelling perhaps a Browning 10 gauge pump loaded with federal 3 1/2" 1 3/4 OZ / 765 grain .750 diameter slugs. I'm fairly certain you could roll a Tyrannosaurus rex at 80 yards with a 10 gauge slug if needed.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.38 spec. wadd cutters did not work reliably at all in my Win. lever action carbine

Cas , is that .20 gauge around 300 -325 grains?

that would work in a shotgun sabot , I think .

could you push that at 950 -1100 f.ps. ?
out of a .20 ga ? w/o busting a shoulder?

and would you require a particular barrel to be accurate at 40-60 feet ?

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
300 grains is about 5/8 of an ounce.

The standard 20ga bird hunting load is 7/8 ounces (about 380 grains) of shot at about 1200 fps.

I'm not a slug hunter, but from a physics perspective I don't see how a similar weight slug at a similar velocity would kick a lot more.

Why the specific interest in a wadcutter shaped bullet?

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
That 20ga slug, a Remington IIRC weighs 353grs.
(The Brenneke on the right weighs 370+)

Remington lists the muzzle velocity at 1580

Hornady makes "custom light" slugs in 20ga, 250gr.

"Hornady® Custom Lite® ammunition provides reduced recoil and muzzle blast from the most popular calibers, and puts the fun back into shooting for kids, women, and every shooter looking to keep recoil to a minimum while still enjoying the use of their favorite rifle.

Loaded with either the Hornady® SST® or InterLock® bullet, Custom Lite® ammunition is designed to deliver less felt recoil and a modified trajectory that still provides the accurate, deadly, and dependable performance you rely on from Hornady®."

"Shotgun enthusiasts will enjoy both 20 and 12 gauge offerings, delivering 25% less recoil than standard loads. For rifled barrels only. Our Custom Lite® Slugs feature 25%-40%+ Recoil Reduction Over Standard Loads."

About $2 a pop though.

1600fps at the muzzle. 1445 @ 50 1308 @ 100

Posts: 21039 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I would guess that a special barrel isn't necessary for satisfactory accuracy at sixty feet. Anything less than full choke should be fine.

You have problems with bears in your living room, bendable?

Posts: 26846 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin no bears

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Gots to keep ninjas off the lawn.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what caliber would a 20 gauge sabot slug be with a micrometer?

posted Hide Post
Garrett cartridge has a 540g for the 45-70

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
what caliber would a 20 gauge sabot slug be with a micrometer?

gauge to caliber conversion 101

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post