SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Happened to be in a LGS when a guy brought in a Perazzi
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Happened to be in a LGS when a guy brought in a Perazzi Login/Join 
Picture of valkyrie1
posted
O/U 12 gauge with simply gorgeous wood and semi nude custom engraving on the receiver etc. It was simply drop dead gorgeous, never saw a 50,000.00 dollar shotgun before. Guy said no to a picture which I was fine with..

Posts: 2301 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
when I was young, I helped out at tri county gun club in sherwood oregon. I helped with their sporting clays, trap, continental, skeet, 5 stand shoots. tuesdays and thursdays. Used to buy a case of 7.5 or 9's remington sts for 35 bucks.

Many, many of the guys there were sporting perazzi, krieghoff, merkul guns. I was always jealous.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I at one time I had THE Holland and Holland 470NE that Robert Redford carried in the movie "Out of Africa" if my own hands. Quite the feeling. ;-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What did he bring it in for?

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FrankMoses:

To have the Perazzi technician install 2 new 12-ga shells. Like a Ferrari - shell changes run about $100 per event...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
quote:
Originally posted by FrankMoses:

To have the Perazzi technician install 2 new 12-ga shells. Like a Ferrari - shell changes run about $100 per event...

Your saying it requires a technician and a 100 bucks to load 2 shotgun shells? For 50k it ought to load itself!!!!!

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I got to check out several Beretta custom shotguns at their gallery, ranging from $10k to $225K. A bit nuts but these are more art pieces than shooters I guess.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I won the lottery a collection of of shotguns like this would be one of my first priorities. I may even hire a full time technician to carefully install new shells when needed.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When living in London, I visited the Purdy and the Holland/Holland showrooms. Unfrickin believable. Beautiful everywhere!!! They had huge 6 and 8 ft slabs of Russian burled walnut on display. I was informed that each slab would produce only 2 or 3 complete stocks of "adequate quality".

The "Pre-Owned" section still looked brand new. Most guns were priced more than a car and a few were more than a small house.

The showroom rep that I was speaking with showed me a 20g side/side that was brought in for fitting. It had a Royal Crest on it. He wouldn't confirm which royal it was. But said it belonged to a "young Royal with red hair".

Never forgot the visits to those places.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
when I was young, I helped out at tri county gun club in sherwood oregon. I helped with their sporting clays, trap, continental, skeet, 5 stand shoots. tuesdays and thursdays. Used to buy a case of 7.5 or 9's remington sts for 35 bucks.

Many, many of the guys there were sporting perazzi, krieghoff, merkul guns. I was always jealous.

I'm a member at TCGC now. A number of years ago, a few of us used to go out there and shoot skeet with our riot guns. We got some strange (and very condescending) looks from the guys with their expensive over/unders.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:

I bought a collection from a local guy that was downsizing,

he had a Kreighof that he would not sell,
he had over 55K invested in it, and had put well over 500K rounds thru it,

he kept it cased, in his trunk, next to the golf clubs,
only took it out of the car to shoot,

said it was easier that way, cause you just never know if it will be a golf day, trap day or both

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Perazzi O/Us I've shot are some of the nicest feeling shotguns out there. Their balance is amazing, great triggers, stunning wood, built like a tank. Kim Rhode -- America's greatest skeet/trap shooter -- has a Perazzi that she finally retired from competition after 1,000,000 rounds. Yep, that's one million rounds.

Krieghoffs are great, too, but with a little different feel. A little heavier gun, with more weight towards the buttstock.

SO series Berettas are uber nice, and they feel quite a bit like a Perazzi. Gamba feels somewhere between Perazzi and Krieghoff.

From a competition, pure shooting function, most premium shotguns top out around $15k in price. Maybe $20k. After that, price increases come from cosmetics -- engraving, wood, gold inlays.

These premium shotguns are beyond my means, but I fondly recall being allowed to play with them.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
When I lived in NJ I was friendly with the Griffin and Howe location in Bernardsville. What a treat to go there and see amazing guns.

I met some interesting folk there, one was a doctor picking up a $14,000 Perazzi, his third or fourth one. I was showing a custom knife to someone, he saw it and asked how much? I gave him a price he pulled out cash, when he left I handed some cash to the store manager, I was his friend as long he was there.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
The guy brought the Perazzi in because some of the lines of the engravings were slightly discolored, wanted them cleaned up. When they left I asked Tim the LGS owner how he was going to do it and he simply was going to use Flitz........very carefully.

Posts: 2301 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
When I was in Scotland last year, I had a once in a lifetime experience. At an event I struck up a conversation with the owner of Holt Auctions of London. He had me handle a pair of Purdy shotguns that he had coming up for auction. They were an unbelievably beautiful matched pair that had been custom made for Eric Clapton. He estimated they would go for $250-300,000. I was too stunned to take a pic of me with the gun.

Pictures from the auction catalog in the link: https://auctions.holtsauctione...1350+&refno=++127195

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Here's my SC3 Grade Perazzi skeet gun. Its not valued at $50k, but it is probably in the range of $15-17k. I too love a well built firearm, not just for function but as a reliable shooter. I shoot clays at least once or twice a week and appreciate the balance and other characteristics of these fine tools.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I shot a Perazzi TM-1 then a TMX back in the 80's for trap. Bought both on time from Jaquas. Always felt like an ass for buying a gun I coouldn't afford ON TIME. But...LOVED both guns. Shot them well, never any reliability issues either.

And sold both for basically what I paid ,after a few years.

Have a Ljutic for trap now, though I shoot infrequently.

When I retired I had a good excuse, my "retirement gift" so bought a K-80 skeet set. Use it for skeet, but mostly for sporting clays. EVERY time I take it out of the case and assemble it....I fall in love with it a little more!

I can rationalize a fine shotgun in a minute. Buy them wisely, keep them well maintained and pristine and you wont lose much, maybe even come out ahead.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I worked at a gun club when I was 16 after a big trapshooting match a guy drives off in his Mercedes leaving a Perazzi in a case laying on the ground, I yelled at him and chased after his car and he never looked back. I picked it up and took it into the club house. A few days later he called the gun club and had it shipped to him Like it was no big deal, I wish now I would shot a few rounds of trap with it then returned it.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Seen a K-80 left sitting in a rack at Ben Avery. Eek Range guy took in inside for safe keeping.
I imagine the owner called to see if it was turned in.

Another lucky fellow left his *very* early production 870 Trap sitting in the rack.
Ya know, gabbing and getting distracted is supposed to FOLLOW putting the guns away.

ETA: pulicords, that is a very pretty shotgun!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I once shot a round of skeet with a 14" cylinder bore 870. I, uh, did'nt do so well.....

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post