SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Opinion on Radical Firearms AR?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinion on Radical Firearms AR? Login/Join 
posted
Looking for something new to add to the arsenal and ran across these. Basic entry level AR I know, but for under $500 seems like they are pretty well built.

I know they won’t compare to my higher end rifles, but once you already have a couple really nice rifles I feel like the rest of the fleet can be nice and inexpensive.

So I’ve already got the Sport II and the AR556 and both of those go bang every time I pull the trigger so I’m happy with them. Just curious if anyone has any experience with Radical.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Don't know about now, but did pick up 2 uppers from them when they first came on the scene about 7-8 years ago. Still have them and no complaints for the price...

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 10.5 Seekins Precision that they built and sold for $599 several years back. They added their stamp to the lower to show the US assembled it. It goes bang when you pull the trigger. I've never tested it past 100 meters but it is acceptably accurate for what it is. Their gear is low priced and perfectly suitable for a fun gun.

Posts: 2014 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool I’m going to get it thanks for the input guys.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I picked up a 300 BO 10.5 inch upper from them and have about a thousand rounds through it with no issues. I've been pleased with it.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:
I have a 10.5 Seekins Precision that they built and sold for $599 several years back. They added their stamp to the lower to show they assembled it. It goes bang when you pull the trigger. I've never tested it past 100 meters but it is acceptably accurate for what it is. Their gear is low priced and perfectly suitable for a fun gun.

Posts: 2014 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a 10.5 Seekins Precision that they built and sold for $599 several years back. They added their stamp to the lower to show they assembled it. It goes bang when you pull the trigger. I've never tested it past 100 meters but it is acceptably accurate for what it is. Their gear is low priced and perfectly suitable for a fun gun.

I'd say, if it does that, then it is perfectly suited for self/home defense, not just for fun at the range. Their current SOCOM FCR rifles that AIM sells price at $480 shipped. Hard to beat.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
It goes bang when you pull the trigger. I've never tested it past 100 meters but it is acceptably accurate for what it is. Their gear is low priced and perfectly suitable for a fun gun.

I'd say, if it does that, then it is perfectly suited for self/home defense, not just for fun at the range.

Although "The Chart" seems to have fallen by the wayside in most blogs and AR website threads, it remains very alive on the webz. The discussions now often revolve around "serious use" ARs, and how the value-line ARs just aren't up to the task of personal defense. Such discussions pop up in this site multiple times per year.

It doesn't seem to matter that talented shooters have used their value-line ARs in match after match, year after year, without issues, with enough mileage on the rifles to require barrel replacements. Nope, only a whatever will do.

From what I see, reasonably well assembled ARs tend to cycle flawlessly -- as long as they are well lubed, use good magazines, and are fed reasonable-quality ammo.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Radical had some issues for a while when they were nitriding their barrels after the barrel extensions were torqued on.

Either the extensions weren't torque properly, or the heat of the nitride process caused them to loosen.

That was quite a while ago and I presume that they have fixed that issue. I haven't heard anything about it for a good long while, and I know it was brought to their attention when it happened.

Personally Palmetto State Armory is my go-to place for inexpensive but good quality AR parts. I have had good results from their Freedom line of barrels, and with their bolt carrier groups.

I get about 1.5 to 2moa results out of them with factory 55gr ammo and a 1-5x optic.

I prefer to do my own QC and build my own rifles but as a general rule, ARs are boringly reliable if fed decent ammo from good mags and with proper lubrication.

Give us a range report after you get it!

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Radical has had both QC and ethical issues. They aren’t a company I would care to do business with.

In a lower priced AR the S&W Sport II seems to be the best option.

I’ve seen several AR 556 with issues but Ruger has made good on all of them.

PSA makes some good stuff in their PSA and PSA premium lines. Their Lower priced PTAC and freedom lines are hit or miss.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HCM:
Radical has had both QC and ethical issues. They aren’t a company I would care to do business with.

In a lower priced AR the S&W Sport II seems to be the best option.

I’ve seen several AR 556 with issues but Ruger has made good on all of them.

PSA makes some good stuff in their PSA and PSA premium lines. Their Lower priced PTAC and freedom lines are hit or miss.

Can you tell us more about these ethical issues. I obviously am not in the loop. I see that you are in TX. Maybe in Houston, even, to know more about what's going on with them. I just don't keep up with the AR scene anymore. Thanks.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post