SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    JP silent captured spring vs Geiselle braided spring
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

JP silent captured spring vs Geiselle braided spring Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I'm shopping for buffer spring systems to complete a build. Typically, I use standard buffer springs and H through H3 buffers. I want to try something different.

I'm deciding between the JP silent captured spring and the Geiselle braided buffer spring.
The Geiselle has lots of rave reviews and is half the price.
Has anyone here compared them?

This is going into a 7.5" 300 BO pistol build that will be shot with full power loads, unsuppressed.

Any experiences to share?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is probably not actually that helpful. I don't have .300BO, an AR pistol or a 7.5" barrel. But I do have multiple JP and Geissle buffer spring combo's on 9mm and 5.56 rifles. There isn't anything I have seen at this point to convince me either are worth it above the std. part. Especially the JP. Their stuff is totally top notch in construction but this falls in the why category. On 9mm it needs a JP bolt as well FWIW. The Geissle is like all their products overbuilt, but the buy and add tungsten as you need to tune is somewhat annoying. But overall its well build and actually probably better than the stock stuff.
But with a zillion (made that up) rounds on the standard parts without issue I'm inclined to just recommend them.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have a Geiselle and it's nice, but not quantifiably better than a Colt H2 Buffer and Blue Springco. Doesn't seem as twangy while charging the rifle, but under live fire I don't see any difference (yes, my Geiselle buffer had a weight added to make it an H2, so it's apples to apples).

I have one rifle with the VLTOR A5 setup, with an A5H3 and Green Springco. Only a couple of range sessions with it but it feels a bit better than with a H2 / Blue setup.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have the JP captive spring/buffer.

It is excellent. That rifle cycles like the action is rolling on ball bearings. You can also tune the buffer weight and spring rate to the gun with their spring pack and/or their replacement weights. You can get weights in either steel, tungsten, or delrin.

Necessary? No.

Very very nice? Yes.

Everyone who shoots that rifle next to their stock standard AR carbine will ask, "How do you get it to shoot like that?"

It is a combination of a good muzzle brake, a LMOS carrier, an adjustable gas block, and the JP captive buffer.

I have no experience with the Geissele product in question but all my other gear from them is excellent.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know lots of people are sensitive to things I am not. But when running matches I can't tell any difference to what buffer setup I'm using.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I have the JP captured springs in two SBRs that are primarily shot suppressed. In that application they’re great as you don’t get any rebound noise from the buffer tube, especially when shooting the 300 BLK with subsonic loads.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post