SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Do I really need to have a used 870 reparkerized?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do I really need to have a used 870 reparkerized? Login/Join 
posted
I already have two custom 870 shotguns and a third sitting in a box. I came across a good deal for a used police gun trade in. It’s has some bare spots on the metal. I want to keep this as cheap as possible so cerakote is out. I am having scattergun ghost rings sights installed but I have had those sitting around for the last three years. Is it even worth to have it parkerized or just keep a eye out for rust? It will be a closet gun in my living room.

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Personally that's the last thing I'd spend money on. I'd spray paint it first, or truck bed liner... or spend some money and have a good finish added.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone suggested engine paint.

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd probably just rub a light coat of grease on those areas. It will live inside your climate controlled house.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gambit123:
Someone suggested engine paint.

Krylon makes a spray can grill paint that works also.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Spray it down with Eezox. Let it dry. Rub off the excess. If there is not any rust now, that should be plenty for in the house.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Breakfree CLP on it would be fine too. I doubt you'd get any rust on bare metal inside of your house if you simply kept it wiped down periodically.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless you're at 100% humidity, no need. The old 870's are almost indestructible. I have shotguns in my agency from the 1970's with little to no finish left that still work fine and only require a rubdown with an oily rag to keep the rust at bay. I'm in Central Florida if that tells you anything.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
My take on LEO trade ins is only buy if you intend to do minimal restoration. Change springs, test function, then leave em.

If your intent is to make it pristine again, you should have just purchased a new firearm from the start.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
My take on LEO trade ins is only buy if you intend to do minimal restoration. Change springs, test function, then leave em.

If your intent is to make it pristine again, you should have just purchased a new firearm from the start.

I would not touch a current production 870 police but that’s my preference

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I agree with this, but would amend it to current production Remington anything. The used 870 Express I bought in 2007 was made in 2003 and it was an unimpressive rust magnet that I dumped too much time and money into trying to turn it into something it couldn’t be. I would have been better off with a well-worn, even abused Wingmaster or Police 870 from the late 70’s to early 80’s for a project gun. You can polish a gem, you can’t polish a turd; and that’s what Remington has been plopping out for going on a few decades now.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
There is no need to spend a significant amount of money for a refinish on a house gun, barring if you possibly live in an environment with salt air near the ocean.

Check it occasionally for rust. A pretreatment with Eezox will likely prevent any kind of corrosion.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
quote:

I agree with this, but would amend it to current production Remington anything.

Agreed, my statement was a general one and not implying to purchase current products that are shoddy.

Either buy LEO trade in and use with minimal restoration for function, or buy new quality firearms.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could check Brownell's. They have some cheaper
do it yourself products to spray and bake, if rust becomes a problem

Posts: 141 | Registered: June 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I’ve had excellent luck with removing rust and light pitting with a dremel and buffing wheel, then polish and use. Brownell’s Creme Blue to restore a rust bluing. Dry polish with wool wheels to burnish it a bit.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ercarr:
You could check Brownell's. They have some cheaper
do it yourself products to spray and bake, if rust becomes a problem

Yep.
Check out the Alumahyde. Its a spray on minus the baking with excellent solvent resistance.Make sure you give it some time to cure though.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spray painted mine with a rust inhibiting black paint, then lightly dusted with spray acrylic.

The latter greatly increases the strength of the finish against gun oil.

Posts: 313 | Location: Georgia | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Despite what it says on the label, I've found that a cure time of one month gives the best results.

Your results may vary...

Posts: 313 | Location: Georgia | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Nah. Ive seen lots of UUUgly police 870s; they all worked just fine. Gives 'em character. You already have a couple of pretty ones.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm quite happy with a krylon fusion job on my 870 I did back in 2008. Still looks good though the gun usually just sits. About as cheap as it gets too.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post