SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Muzzle Brake Help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Muzzle Brake Help Login/Join 
Banned
posted
Put a Troy 5.56 Muzzle brake on my pistol and saw immediate results; better 2nd shot and a much cleaner bcg.
Now, the bbl is 10.5" and the M4s which are going to get muzzle brakes are 14.5" and 16.1".
Will I get the same results or is there a better way to go? I do not want to break the bank with Noveske.

Am I good to go with Troy? Thank you.

Benefits that I am getting-- less muzzle jump, less recoil, all internals are a little cleaner.
Accuracy stayed the same, pretty darn good.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Other than the cleanliness you mention (which I’ve never heard of having been affected by a muzzle brake), how was the shooting improved? Less recoil/muzzle flip? That’s the usual purpose of a brake, but sometimes people expect other advantages, and effects vary.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So I take it you don't want to break the bank with an expensive muzzle brake?

Or do you want to put a brake on your finances and break your barrel?

muzzle BRAKE test
There are other brake comparisons out there, too.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
So I take it you don't want to break the bank with an expensive muzzle brake?

Or do you want to put a brake on your finances and break your barrel?

muzzle BRAKE test
There are other brake comparisons out there, too.

Thanks for the spelling help, me boy. I will fix it.

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
For me a good muzzle device is one that gets you back on target the quickest for a.follow up shot. My favorite is the SJC Titan.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
The VG6 Gamma I put on my AR made an impressive difference over the RRA brake I had been using. It keeps the muzzle dead flat. It’s light, well priced and beautifully finished.

https://www.vg6precision.com/vg6-gamma-556

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Don't be that guy, especially when it doesn't apply. Wink

brake
/brāk/
1: a device for arresting or preventing the motion of a mechanism usually by means of friction

Which it does in regards to recoil.

break
/brāk/

1. :to separate into parts with suddenness or violence

Which it does to the escaping gas from the muzzle.

Both brake and brake come from the word "breken".

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Yelliw flag!! Late hit. Razz

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
The VG6 Gamma ....

In all the research I’ve been able to do, muzzle devices seem to do just one thing well: reduce felt recoil or reduce muzzle flash. In particular, the best brakes tend to produce stupendous flashes; how about this one?

Yes, I realize this thread is specifically asking about brakes, but I get curious whenever I see a new device because although I’d like something that reduces muzzle rise, flash suppression and avoiding additional blast noise are most important.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
The VG6 Gamma ....

In all the research I’ve been able to do, muzzle devices seem to do just one thing well: reduce felt recoil or reduce muzzle flash. In particular, the best brakes tend to produce stupendous flashes; how about this one?

Yes, I realize this thread is specifically asking about brakes, but I get curious whenever I see a new device because although I’d like something that reduces muzzle rise, flash suppression and avoiding additional blast noise are most important.

Thanks very much , Sigfreund. Based on what you wrote, there is no need to switch away from the Troy that is on my M4 .
YPH

Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
The VG6 Gamma ....

They make a version of this that has flash suppression, but this one does not. In California, flash suppressors are strictly forbidden, as they turn your average magazine fed semi/automatic rifle into an assault weapon.

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
They make a version of this that has flash suppression, but this one does not.

Thanks. I was vaguely aware of some of California’s bizarre laws, but not that one.

I became curious about that device and did some research—minimal to be sure, but a little. The one video I found showing its use under low light conditions demonstrated that it’s similar to most other brakes in that the muzzle flash, even with the short suppression prongs, was pretty spectacular. In addition, some reviewers made the other common complaint about brakes: enhanced muzzle blast effects. That is a use killer for me. A couple of friends have highly effective brakes on rifles and I must stand directly behind them to barely tolerate timing their drills.

We are fortunate to have so many different muzzle device options available (some of us, anyway Frown ), but from what I have found thus far, it seems that effective braking without enhanced flash and blast is not to be had. I suppose that’s just basic physics.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thanks. I was vaguely aware of some of California’s bizarre laws, but not that one.

I became curious about that device and did some research—minimal to be sure, but a little. The one video I found showing its use under low light conditions demonstrated that it’s similar to most other brakes in that the muzzle flash, even with the short suppression prongs, was pretty spectacular. In addition, some reviewers made the other common complaint about brakes: enhanced muzzle blast effects. That is a use killer for me. A couple of friends have highly effective brakes on rifles and I must stand directly behind them to barely tolerate timing their drills.

We are fortunate to have so many different muzzle device options available (some of us, anyway Frown ), but from what I have found thus far, it seems that effective braking without enhanced flash and blast is not to be had. I suppose that’s just basic physics.

They do make a cage cover that you can put over this brake to minimize the side concussion: https://www.vg6precision.com/v....com/vg6-cage-device

As for California’s crazy gun laws regarding muzzle devices; minimizing or redirecting the muzzle blast out of the line of sight of the shooter also turns your magazine fed semi-auto rifle into an assault rifle.

Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Getting that gas to pull on the muzzle to reduce recoil means it needs to be expelled sideways and backwards somewhat. I don't think you can make a brake which works but isn't also a concussion machine. I'd be curious to see what devices like the Surefire Warden do to brakes they're installed on, and what changes they actually make.

For a straight up duty flash hider Forward Controls has a modified A2 birdcage that increases compensation without changing the flash suppression. They also make an open-end version with better flash suppression and compensation over the A2.

http://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/6315_p_76.html
http://www.forwardcontrolsdesi...15-12-x28_p_145.html

I have an 1815 that's going on a rifle here soon. I just wanted something different than the A2 that's on it, and wasn't looking for a brake or mount. The rifle shoots well with a Geissele S42 buffer setup, midlength gas on a BA barrel, I'm not looking to do much other than tame a little of the muzzle flip.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post