SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Red dot sight on a shotgun?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red dot sight on a shotgun? Login/Join 
posted
I am thinking about putting a Vortex Crossfire on my Benelli Supernova tactical. Have any of y'all put a red dot on your home defense shotguns? Did you like it? How about any experience with the Crossfire in general? I am looking for something fairly compact, I tossed an Aimpoint Pro on it just to see how it worked and think I want something smaller than the Pro.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
No experience with the Crossfire but I've got a Holosun 510 in green dot that I LOVE on my LTT Beretta 1301. Which I might have mentioned in in bunch of posts. But I do love it. I really can't wait until ammo prices are lower to really get that dialed in.

I had considered my Trijicon MRO, but it's going to a different home.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Good timing on this thread. I have the Super Nova Tactical with pistol grip and the nice receiver mounted peep sight with wings. I'm changing the stock to a standard black Super Nova Tactical stock and I may, as well, add a red dot. My shotgun is the most accurate smooth bore I've ever owned or fired with foster-style slugs. At 50 yards it will break stationary clay targets off hand all day long. At 100 yards it will consistently hold 1oz Remington Slugger slugs in a groups of a couple of inches. I think a red dot will enhance it, even though it's one of the few long guns I have that I can still see the sights clearly on. I've been concentrating on the stock for now. No idea what red doit I may get. So I'll watch this thread.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I put a Fastfire red dot on my 1201 FP shotgun. It sits in the picatinny protector mount. Low, light, strong, fast. They make dots of 1, 3, and 8 MOA, if I recall correctly.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I know almost nothing about the Vortex Crossfire, but I do know I REALLY want to put a Trijicon RMR on my Benelli M4... Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8881 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a Shotgun. Shotguns are not aimed, they are Point Shot. Spend some time at a shotgun range and you will come to understand why sights on a shotgun aren't just useless, they are actually an impediment. A lot of the really top shooters will shoot with barrels that have had the bead removed because a small bead about 3/32 inch in diameter was a distraction.

BTW, those little Clay targets are 108mm in diameter and can be thrown at speeds ranging from 35mph up to 100 mph.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I'm not shooting trashcan sized patterns of 8 shot out of a shotgun. I'm shooting quarter to fist sized patterns of buck at people, if the worst happens. I'll certainly be aiming unless we're at spitting distance.

My Benelli M4 is also going to get an RMR when I finally get the money. I don't want to add any more weight to any already heavy pig and want the tubeless design.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
It's a Shotgun. Shotguns are not aimed, they are Point Shot.

(Sigh)

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run an RMR on my defensive shotgun. It seemed like a good use of the Type 1's I have in volume. I ran an aimpoint before that. Both have worked mint and I think are superior to using irons. I think its great.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a Shotgun. Shotguns are not aimed, they are Point Shot. Spend some time at a shotgun range and you will come to understand why sights on a shotgun aren't just useless, they are actually an impediment. A lot of the really top shooters will shoot with barrels that have had the bead removed because a small bead about 3/32 inch in diameter was a distraction.

BTW, those little Clay targets are 108mm in diameter and can be thrown at speeds ranging from 35mph up to 100 mph.

This is not a field shotgun, it is a home defense gun loaded with a mix of buckshot and slugs. While I can point shoot it I prefer aiming it, thanks.

Thanks for the inputs guys. Keep them coming!

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
When shooting Federal Flitecontrol buck, I can place most of the pattern on the exposed head of a hostage-taker target at 15 yards with none on the hostage.
Yeah, I aim. Wink

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you're shooting clays with birdshot, sure. If you're using slugs or buckshot for defensive purposes or shooting deer with slugs, probably not. Shotguns are not just used for games.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To the point of the actual question...

I have red dots on a couple of shotguns. I find them to be useful for shooting slugs at moderate to long ranges and buckshot at really any distance. I'm a big fan of mounts that replace the factory rail with a low profile optic mount such as those from Scalarworks and Aridus. I actually have an Aridus CROM in the mail for my 1301 right now.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
When shooting Federal Flitecontrol buck, I can place most of the pattern on the exposed head of a hostage-taker target at 15 yards with none on the hostage.
Yeah, I aim. Wink

Bruce

Reminds me of that FLIR video where a San Diego office shot a hostage taker in the head with a shotgun.

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have many red dots on shotguns. Mostly turkey hunting guns.

Aimpoint Micro on Benelli SBE2 mounted on rail. RMR on an 1187 youth on a rail. RMR on a 20ga M2 on a Scalarworks Sync. These are all for turkey and are all 50 yard guns with the right choke and load.

Also have an RMR on an M4 on a Sync. I like and use them all.

The Sync is a very low profile, clean, solid little mount for an RMR. They make them in Benelli and Mossberg hole patterns.

Posts: 477 | Location: FL | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went ahead and ordered the Crossfire. PSA has them with free shipping and a $30 discount code so I really had to order it Smile

I have this rail/shotshell carrier from Mesa Tactical that I will mount it on. I will post another update when I get it installed and put a few rounds thru it.

Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
I know almost nothing about the Vortex Crossfire, but I do know I REALLY want to put a Trijicon RMR on my Benelli M4... Cool

I've had a Trijicon RMR w/LaRue mount on my Benelli M4 for several years now and I'm quite pleased with it.

Before the Trijicon, I had an Aimpoint T1 mounted on it, but the Trijicon ended up homeless and so I went with it instead.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herkdriver:
I went ahead and ordered the Crossfire. PSA has them with free shipping and a $30 discount code so I really had to order it Smile

I have this rail/shotshell carrier from Mesa Tactical that I will mount it on. I will post another update when I get it installed and put a few rounds thru it.

Mesa makes quality stuff. Be certain to properly torque the screws and use locktite. Pulling shells in and out of that carrier will put a lot of stress on them. If they loosen up, the holes will egg out in a hurry. You could even damage the receiver. I prefer a velcro sidesaddle, in most cases, but that one looks good, with the above caveats.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I had an Aimpoint Comp M2 on my 870. With slugs you could shoot it like a rifle. Even with buckshot it makes placing the pattern much more precise than just using the front bead. Right now I have a slug sighted barrel on that gun, but my 1301 is getting a dot.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got the crossfire in and mounted. Hope to test it out this weekend.