SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What are your favorite Ruger 10/22 hacks / After market parts?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are your favorite Ruger 10/22 hacks / After market parts? Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted
I can't believe that I've never picked one up, but I just got my first Ruger 10/22 for Christmas.

It is a take-down, Stainless model.

I've ordered 3 extra magazines, and a Volquartsen bolt release.

I've got a BX Trigger on my "wish list".

The question is what else is great to have for these handy little guns.

I don't hunt, so it will mainly be a range toy and varmint gun around the house.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You already have some of the mods I would suggest. An extended magazine release and the auto bolt release is a requirement for me. I also do whatever work is necessary to have the magazines drop free.

Factory 10/22 triggers leave a lot to be desired. I put the BX in one of mine and put a Volquartsen hammer kit in the other. Both now break right at 2.5 pounds, but the Volquartsen has longer uptake. The newer 10/22 have lots of plastic parts. I can't stand the feel of a plastic trigger, so I swapped both of mine out to billet aluminum triggers.

10/22s are about as bad as ARs for calling for mods and parts changes.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Volquartsen trigger parts and extractor. You already have the extended mag release.

That's all you *need*. Beyond that? The rabbit hole awaits...

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a Power Custom Titanium Kit in my 10/22 for 20 years. It’s very nice. Now, I’d use them again or TandemKross. I’d bypass the BX trigger if you can.

A good quality light lube and good ammo, I like MiniMags or Federal GameShock 36gr. A small red dot like the Burris FastFire would be great.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Entrance to the rabbit hole:

Www.Coolguyguns.com

You’ve been warned.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm thinking I need to upgrade my sites too. The stock front bead is a little small.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
I've ordered 3 extra magazines, and a Volquartsen bolt release.

We're too late. The patient has already ingested the Kool-Aid. Wink

Rolan - Congratulations on your 10/22! You've already been to Volquartsen, so as mentioned check out Kidd Innovative Design. While I've never personally examined one, Mag-Pul makes an interesting stock for the take-down model. The possibilities are literally endless. Enjoy.

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
The Magpul stock was my biggest improvement. A moot point if you’ve already got it.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5398 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I haven't looked at the magpul stocks yet. I've got to play with it a while first. I think that the next thing will have to be a new front site. The stock bead is TINY!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

posted Hide Post
I put a Butler Creek folder on mine and really like it and a ton of the BX-25 mags. Needs a new trigger and maybe a red dot. I have had a lot of these rifles over the years and rarely have been without one.

A friend of mine has several with well over a grand in each of them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Marcushoss,

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Rolan,
You are pretty handy.
Overcome the fear of the 10/22. It’s a very easy gun to upgrade.
The auto bolt release is is a simple mod with a Dremel.
Inspect the receiver to make sure the slide does not hang on burrs from the rail mount. Buff out any burrs.
To replace the bolt release , you will need to take the receiver out of the stock and remove two pins. You Tube video will help. Since you will have it apart- might as well purchase and install Volquartsen trigger.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You would laugh if I told you how many I have. First stop mags, second stop trigger (I really like the BX as its good enough and simple so the above advise to pass I would not agree), third stop a rail (I use the EGW one), fourth stop a scope (I use the leupold rimfire)/red dot (depending on use).
And that's just about perfect for almost everything.
after that its a disease.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Tech sights.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I kept mine pretty simple but was setting it up to use at an Appleseed shot. I've let my nephews shot it so keeping it simple and easy to learn basics was a goal.

It's been a while but I think this is what I remember doing.

Tech Sights
Magpul stock
Trigger job done myself
Extended mag release
Auto bolt release done myself

I hated having to push the button to release the bolt. A little sanding on one part and the bolt will auto release(pull it back and let go). You can buy the part already modified and just install it but it's not difficult to modify. Just test everything when done. The part is just a few bucks if you make a mistake.

Lots of info online on how to do this and a simple trigger job. I enjoyed doing it myself and learning about the workings of the gun.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Check out CPC: http://www.ct-precision.com

Mine does 1/2” 10-shot groups at 50 yards...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The price has gone up, but I sold my stock and barrel for $100 or so and bought this for $300, so it was only a net $200 cost.

Love it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...m-barrel-hogue-stock

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The auto bolt release is a mandatory, must be done mod on these. I modify the factory part with a dremmel for free. Instructions online how to do it.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I purchased custom Kidd 10/22 rifles, one for me and one for my son, my absolute favorite long gun. Only thing Ruger are the mags.

I also have a Ruger TD and one of the first things I did was replace the extractor and firing pin with Kidd aftermarket parts. Also installed a bolt buffer, auto bolt release, and a Kidd trigger kit.

http://www.kiddinnovativedesign.com

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
The biggest thing for me was the sights. I replaced the stock ones with a set of fiber optics. It’s been several years so I don’t remember the brand. They are a million times better than the stock sights. I could never pick up the gold bead front sight.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
The Magpul stock was my biggest improvement. A moot point if you’ve already got it.

Tony.

How so? Interested to know.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post