SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Advice on purchase of SIG 556R carbine in 7.62 X 39
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on purchase of SIG 556R carbine in 7.62 X 39 Login/Join 
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Prior to moving to Ct i had a 556 patrol swat, and now in va i have a gen 2 556R. The 556R is a better rifle. I bought mine used, and have put 2k of wolf/tula down the tube with 0 issues. In fact the cheap reddot that sig offered with it at the time still works and holds 0. Take it apart. Look for excessive wear. If none buy it. Use grease and shoot the shit out of it. I do.

There’s no excessive wear. In fact it looks very close to new. It’s not been shot much. I said earlier that I wasn’t going to get it, but maybe. They are closed until Tuesday so I have a few days to think about it

Posts: 724 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
Windham Weaponry makes an AR in 7.62x39 for around $650 unless the price has gone up in the last few months. I can’t remember if they take standard AK mags or not. Their web site does not say.

I have the WW in that caliber. it's supposed to be as reliable as a Toyota with ASC magazines. I haven't had a chance to get it to the range so no personal experience yet. I can say in general that I am impressed with the quality of WW. I think they make a real nice rifle for the money.

ETA: they don't take AK mags

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pessimist,

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
Double tap. Sorry.

posted Hide Post
No AR in 7.62 is as reliable as a Toyota. And I know that because I spent an unbelievable amount of time and money learning what breaks. Its better now as more makers learn to deal with the problems (broken bolts, firing pins, etc. etc.) but in the end the mag situation makes it all a play item.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone thinking of one of these orphaned 556R's should just go shopping for a simple set of spares before they buy the gun so they know what they are up against.

Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
No AR in 7.62 is as reliable as a Toyota. And I know that because I spent an unbelievable amount of time and money learning what breaks. Its better now as more makers learn to deal with the problems (broken bolts, firing pins, etc. etc.) but in the end the mag situation makes it all a play item.

I don’t doubt you. However, I think that anyone who wants a 7.62X39 AND wants it in an AR platform would be well served by getting one and sorting it out. It would make a great hunting rifle for hogs as an example. Also, IMHO the 7.62X39 is just about the best all-around battle cartridge available. Sure, there’s some great, new “marketing” cartridges available for the AR, but they have a long way to go in comparison.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sauer Kraut:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Prior to moving to Ct i had a 556 patrol swat, and now in va i have a gen 2 556R. The 556R is a better rifle. I bought mine used, and have put 2k of wolf/tula down the tube with 0 issues. In fact the cheap reddot that sig offered with it at the time still works and holds 0. Take it apart. Look for excessive wear. If none buy it. Use grease and shoot the shit out of it. I do.

There’s no excessive wear. In fact it looks very close to new. It’s not been shot much. I said earlier that I wasn’t going to get it, but maybe. They are closed until Tuesday so I have a few days to think about it

Then, buy it. Shoot it
Clean it well. Grease the sliding bits, oil the turny bits. I had well over 7k through my 556 ps, and this current 556R is even better. I really doubt you would have issues. Maintain it ans shoot it

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
show me a spring kit?

posted Hide Post
send wolf your old one, and have one made.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DSGrouse,
I didn't even know that was possible or an option. Looking at the wolf site I don't see that option? Have you actually accomplished that for a 7.62x39 556 recoil spring?
let me know any info? I need one for sure and I have searched quite a bit unsuccessfully.
j

posted Hide Post
I have done it for other pistol mags before. That was years ago. I would call them, see if they can custom twist you one. It used to be a fairly big staple of their busines for custom guns.

posted Hide Post
OK will call and will let you know what I learn.

posted Hide Post
quote:
OK will call and will let you know what I learn.

Pls do, I had just assumed it was still an option. If it is, well dandy. If not, time to start heating and bending piano wire.

Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
Not really interested in the AR platform for 7.62x39, mainly because of the need for different magazines. That is what I like so much about the SIG rifle-I already have plenty of mags. I can buy the rifle and I’m ready to go.

It will be good if Wolff can supply springs. Maybe we could ask about a group buy. There seems to be several of us that would buy a few apiece. If you guys don’t get around to asking them let me know and I will inquire.

Still very hesitant to buy this thing without a source for at least a few extra recoil springs. We’ll see

Posts: 724 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My solution to this issue was to go to a CMMG Mk47.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sauer Kraut:
Not really interested in the AR platform for 7.62x39, mainly because of the need for different magazines. That is what I like so much about the SIG rifle-I already have plenty of mags. I can buy the rifle and I’m ready to go.

It will be good if Wolff can supply springs. Maybe we could ask about a group buy. There seems to be several of us that would buy a few apiece. If you guys don’t get around to asking them let me know and I will inquire.

Still very hesitant to buy this thing without a source for at least a few extra recoil springs. We’ll see

I would be down for 5 complete pring kits, or 10 op rod springs.

posted Hide Post
Accurate, reliable and shoots any Ammo well.

Posts: 14 | Location: Northern Neck, Virginia | Registered: November 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
Windham Weaponry makes an AR in 7.62x39 for around $650 unless the price has gone up in the last few months. I can’t remember if they take standard AK mags or not. Their web site does not say.

I have the WW in that caliber. it's supposed to be as reliable as a Toyota with ASC magazines. I haven't had a chance to get it to the range so no personal experience yet. I can say in general that I am impressed with the quality of WW. I think they make a real nice rifle for the money.

ETA: they don't take AK mags

Thanks for the info on the mags.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
as noted:
"Unfortunately, we do not make custom springs on a individual basis due to the set-up time and costs involved. If however you should need production quantities of springs, we will be please to quote". Will ask how many.

posted Hide Post
quote:
as noted:
"Unfortunately, we do not make custom springs on a individual basis due to the set-up time and costs involved. If however you should need production quantities of springs, we will be please to quote". Will ask how many.

Wow, they used to wind mag springs for para's upon request. As i said it has been a while.

I am down for 10 op rod springs at the very least.