SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Advice on purchase of SIG 556R carbine in 7.62 X 39
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on purchase of SIG 556R carbine in 7.62 X 39 Login/Join 
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted
Local gun store has a SIG 556R, the SIG piston carbine with a folding stock in the AK cartridge. I have a lot of AK mags and plenty of 7.62x39 ammo. Big Grin Reasonable price and like new.

Thoughts or feedback? Anybody have one? Worth having or is it a obsolete weapon best left on the gun store shelf? Thanks for your time

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sauer Kraut,

Posts: 728 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted one, heard many good things about them. Beyond that 3rd hand information I've got nothing for you.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Only negatives were the Gen 1s had issues, Gen 2s fixed those problems. Using russian made steel it will hold about a 2 moa group @ 100... and cycles just about any you throw at it !

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gen 1’s had/have issues. I really wanted to love my Gen 2, but never could warm up to it. Not a knock on it, just a personal preference thing. What’s the price on the one you’re looking at?

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
How do you tell Gen 1 from Gen 2? The asking price was $890

Posts: 728 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I had a GenI and never had any problems with it, hard primers (Russian/surplus) ammo ... it ate it like candy and ejected it fine too ... BUT it did like the Yugo brass cased ammo best. I put around 700 rounds through it ... it's been so long ago I don't remember exactly. The GenII fixes weren't really a big deal if I remember correctly, heavier hammer spring, lowered or lengthened the ejection port; maybe both, I don't know because I didn't send mine in. IIRC there were some people here that had problems with it though.

I sold it when SiG came out with the P556Xi762 or some crazy name like that. I didn't have a need for the carbine after I SBR'd the pistol ... Its the most refined AK I own Smile

I think another of the problems with the GenI was they discovered the steel mags had too much slop in them and with the GenII recommended only use synthetic mags ... which is about all I have and may have been a reason I didn't have problems with mine ... I also have and have had the HK-32 clone (SW-32 made on their 93 receiver by Todd Bailey) and currently I currently own a HK-52 clone which was built by a private builder on an HK-91 receiver and it has the same steel mag problems ... I've used Bulgarian Waffle and Polish Slab-side mags as well as Tapco and Pmags, they've all worked find for me and the one thing they have in common is that they are synthetic ... I like the Polish and PMags best.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I wasn’t aware of this rifle. I’ve been looking hard at the Galil Ace and the Faxon ARAK-21, both in 7.62x39 but the cost is making me choke. Windham Weaponry makes an AR in 7.62x39 for around $650 unless the price has gone up in the last few months. I can’t remember if they take standard AK mags or not. Their web site does not say.

I just watched a video by the Military Arms Channel (MAC) on this gun. (link below). I think the Sig is a nicer looking gun than the Windham and about half the price of the Galil, but I’ve wanted a Galil for probably 30 years. Looks like I have to add the Sig to my wish list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re9pZYvbwt8

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
I like the look and design of this rifle but there are some worries for me. There seems to be no extra parts around. A quick search shows not even a recoil spring to be had. Appears that SIG quit supporting this weapon a few years ago.

Probably don’t need a huge stash of parts but to me a recoil spring is a basic extra to keep on hand. Any advice there? Parts source that I missed?

posted Hide Post
I have one, a gen 2. It is a fantastic rifle

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two. The main issue is that you need to know in advance is that you are signing up for an orphaned rifle. No parts or help from Sig. And almost none in the supply chain as this was made in very small numbers. If it breaks or wears you are probably screwed. Mine runs fine, are reasonably accurate given the ammo, but are fussy about magazines and also about ammo. I'd never buy one at that price. never.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I like mine. It's like the ultimate evolution of the AK.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I have one, a gen 2. It is a fantastic rifle

Same here...

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Gen 2, love it. Most of my Sigs don't get shot much these days though. Buying right now it would be hard not to pick up a Galil Ace in 7.62x39.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely love my Gen 2, about 2K down range.
Don't know about the serial number cut off, but could you ask the seller to show you the inside of the lower receiver. There should be a steel shelf that makes contact with the front of the mag. As I understand, a problem of the gen-1 was that area was aluminum and got chewed up by the steel mags.
I have a pic but I can't get it attached.

Posts: 10 | Location: Md | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gen 2 is a fantastic rifle -- my favorite 7.62x39. I think it is superior to the Galil.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Justemily:
Absolutely love my Gen 2, about 2K down range.
Don't know about the serial number cut off, but could you ask the seller to show you the inside of the lower receiver. There should be a steel shelf that makes contact with the front of the mag. As I understand, a problem of the gen-1 was that area was aluminum and got chewed up by the steel mags.
I have a pic but I can't get it attached.

I'd forgotten about the shelf, but if you use synthetic mags it's not a problem!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your input. I’m going to stick with the AK platform for 7.62x39 and leave this one for somebody else.

As someone said, it really is an orphan. No support from SIG or any other vendors. If something breaks or needs repair there are no options to get it running again.

Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sauer Kraut:

Gen2 has the steel magazine bar for the front of the mag to engage with.

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blfuller:
quote:
Originally posted by Sauer Kraut:

Gen2 has the steel magazine bar for the front of the mag to engage with.

Went back and looked. It’s a Gen 2. Still thinking about it

posted Hide Post
Prior to moving to Ct i had a 556 patrol swat, and now in va i have a gen 2 556R. The 556R is a better rifle. I bought mine used, and have put 2k of wolf/tula down the tube with 0 issues. In fact the cheap reddot that sig offered with it at the time still works and holds 0. Take it apart. Look for excessive wear. If none buy it. Use grease and shoot the shit out of it. I do.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post