SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Eotech second chance?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eotech second chance? Login/Join 
posted
Anyone giving eotech another look? They say they have fixed there issues. Probably did not fix a thing but I need an optic for my clone build and this is the one I can find with paying butt load to make it correct. Plus I do like there reticle. Anyone have one of the newer exps models that supposedly fixed? Any issues?

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Ive considered it. Some wont out of principle but none of the dozen eotechs Ive owned ever had issues. Really like the reticle and if Trijicon or Aimpoint would have used it I wouldnt have looked back.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Following with interest. Not that I'll necessarily get it, but I do expect a bribe in the form of a low price in order to seduce me into giving them another try.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
I wish I hadn't have sent mine back. My buddies wish the same. We just had a conversation about this recently. I never had an issue with mine. I like the reticle much better than the Aimpoint I replaced it with.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I switched over to the Trijicon MRO and haven't looked back.

If an EoTech is a lot cheaper, I'll buy it perhaps, but at a similar price point, I'll stay with the MRO's.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I kept mine. I had trust issues with it. But I have of yet had any problems with mine.

I have been using it mounted on the same AR 15 it's been on for years.

It's been fine and never has lost zero. Or anything else. So I'm slowly getting my trust in it back.

It's still used in the HD/shtf roll, but I have other carbines that wear out sighting systems.

With the EOTech one it's on a A2 type upper, with standard A2 FSB with night sights front post, so even if it died in the middle of shtf, I still have the standard A2 front & rear sights.

I got the EOTech over the Aimpoint years ago because I liked the reticle on the EOTech better than the Aimpoint. Plus the EOTech was smaller and lighter than the Aimpoint at the time.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
Ive considered it. Some wont out of principle but none of the dozen eotechs Ive owned ever had issues. Really like the reticle and if Trijicon or Aimpoint would have used it I wouldnt have looked back.

Mepro makes a similar bullseye reticle for their M21. I have two of these now, after I had bought one for my MPX I liked it so much I added one to my Uzi pro.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone giving eotech another look?

Nope.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
After careful consideration, I bought one for use on the AR9 I use for USPSA matches. I really like the large window the EOTechs have.

Bought a version Optics Planet sells, the OPMOD XPS2.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
a good friend owns a business that makes long range guns, and does a lot of contract work with govt agencies. His parter is a former (as of a few months ago) CAG guy... he puts EOTECH on his personal rifles... that was good enough for me.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I will consider them a tier 2 red dot from now on. I have as much faith in them as holosun. I'd consider one if the price was 150-200$, but they'll never convince me to pay what I paid for my last two.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hey! I like stuff
posted Hide Post
The way I look at it, there are so many quality options that haven't had issues, Aimpoint, Trijicon, etc. I like to vote with my wallet, so I have been spending my money elsewhere. That being said, I wouldn't totally discount them in the future - but my budget for expensive optics is limited, I am going to be skeptical for a long time as long as there are other quality options.

Posts: 2756 | Location: Sterling, VA | Registered: July 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
I kept my 555 model. It live on my HD/SHTF SBR, which lives in my climate controlled house, rides in my climate controlled car and as often as not shoots on a climate controlled indoor range.

I never had a problem with it, so I kept it.

I haven't met anybody who had a problem either, and that includes several hundred cops in various qualifications/training courses and citizens in various other training courses/range sessions.

Personally I think the whole issue got overhyped by consumers and very poorly handled by L3/EOTech.

Posts: 1603 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I kept my old 552. It still works and will work in the environment I plan on using it.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I gave up on Eotech years ago, not for most the recent zero loss issue. On two seperate occasions I have had lithium batteries corrode the contacts. Sent it back in and still had the same issue, no matter what battery type I used, needless to say they are gone never to return. I have absolute trust in Aimpoint optics, never had one issue with any of them.

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I kept mine, never had it lose zero. I will say the biggest temp difference it has seen is just 35 degrees. temp in house/safe (where it is stored) was 70 and range was 35 to 40 this past late winter and early spring. 100 yard target, most days the temp difference is less then 15 + or -.

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gambit123:
Anyone giving eotech another look? They say they have fixed there issues. Probably did not fix a thing but I need an optic for my clone build and this is the one I can find with paying butt load to make it correct. Plus I do like there reticle. Anyone have one of the newer exps models that supposedly fixed? Any issues?

Yep. I never sent my 555 back. It does just fine indoors and out. I may also give their 1x6 Vudu a try as i give my 16" AR a face lift this week.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a clone build if you want it to have an Eotech, go for it! Unless you are going to bet your life on it in massive temperature extremes (and plenty Spec OPs military have anyway already), it is a non-issue IMO.

I say that as an "Aimpoint" guy having never owned an Eotech. I'd buy one if it is what I wanted for a build.

I'm still waiting to get the large EO reticle and FOV with 50k always on battery life of Aimpoint. I realize it's not gonna happen since LED and lasers are totally different technologies...but that would be the perfect CQB sight!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is far from EOTECH's second chance. They've had issues before I.E. the battery issues.

I also watched an EOTECH go NMC at a class right after it's user had said he'd use them for years without issue.

Of course only you can determine if they are trustworthy enough for your uses. I wouldn't have an issue putting one on a range gun, but I wouldn't use one on my service rifle.

Another option if you like the reticle is the SIG Romeo 4, apparently it was good enough for the FBI. My jury is still out on them yet as I haven't used one yet and its still new to the market.

YMMV.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:

Another option if you like the reticle is the SIG Romeo 4, apparently it was good enough for the FBI. My jury is still out on them yet as I haven't used one yet and its still new to the market.

YMMV.

I have one of those, no issues to date. Admittedly Im not hard on my gear but his one has served on .22's, 12g's and AR's with no issue. While I would say I trust this unit< i cant speak to them as a whole, even then I keep waiting for it to fail....something that has to do with having Sig written on it.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post