SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New Ruger takedown 9MM carbine, takes Glock mags
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Ruger takedown 9MM carbine, takes Glock mags Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
Done the whole PCC thing. I had a Marlin Camp 45 (filthiest gun I ever shot) and a Ruger PC4. The latter was built like a tank, but weighted the part.

Why won't Ruger make a Ruger 10mm carbine, or a caliber that, you know, actually gains a LOT from the increased barrel length? I believe the answer is the straight blow-back design requires an increasingly massive bolt and receiver, hence the weight.

While we're dreaming it isn't reinventing the wheel for them. The original Ruger .44 mag. carbine was gas operated, so a gas operated 10mm carbine about this size that took Glock 20 mags would make me moist/randy/tingly etc.

Yep. I'd be all over that.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
It certainly looks very disjointed and cheap so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that it's a leaked photo of a prototype.

Also, I'd prefer if it wasn't a takedown. I don't have any experience to support this but I'd have little confidence in consistent zero with a scope or red dot mounted on the receiver.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
While I applaud the effort, that is one FUGLY gun. It makes a Savage look on par with a Benelli Legacy.

Eliminate the ramped rear sight and replace it with a peep on the rear of the receiver. Too much plastic for my liking and I shoot Glocks mainly. It's a very clunky looking carbine, needs lots of refinements.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I think they are mistaking the value of the PC9's for a mass market want for these things. Fake News!

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
I think they are mistaking the value of the PC9's for a mass market want for these things. Fake News!

I disagree heartily. If it only took Ruger mags, I would agree. But for 15 years everyone has been screaming from the rooftops for a Glock mag carbine. Yes there are a few AR platform guns that take Glock mags, but they are often very expensive, or clunky, or not reliable, etc.

Assuming it's reliable and gets generally good reviews, this could be a HOT item for Ruger.

I actually prefer the takedown vs a non-takedown as it would be a perfect travel gun or backpack gun companion with the Glock pistols we all already own (amiright?)

And yes, they should look at other calibers. I would love one in 45ACP that takes Glock mags

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
Eliminate the ramped rear sight and replace it with a peep on the rear of the receiver.

This. The original PC9 was available with your choice of a barrel notch sight or a receiver peep sight.

Hopefully someone like Tech Sights will come along with a solution.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I just wonder if it shoots straight? As para said it looks cheap. I'd hate to buy it and be as accurate as the Hi-point carbine.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
For the love of all that is Holy can we please stop putting recoil pads on everything? Just us mice on a hutch it's a 9mm rifle.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Glock owners complaining about an ugly plastic gun—? Roll Eyes

Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tequila with lime
posted Hide Post
It needs a pistol grip, folding/collapseable stock and a fixed barrel.

Thank you President Trump.

Posts: 8366 | Location: KS, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Glock owners complaining about an ugly plastic gun—? Roll Eyes

Wink
My Glocks don't look bent. That things look like it wouldn't even shoot straight.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The style of stock on this Ruger used to be called a “pistol grip” type. Jeff Cooper referred to the AK style as a “saw-handle” stock, and evidently didn’t much care for it. For fast handling and target acquisition I also far prefer this type and only put up with the dangling grip on ARs because there’s no good alternative due to the action design.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
That things look like it wouldn't even shoot straight.

Can't disagree with that.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's up on the Ruger website:

https://ruger.com/products/pcC...pecSheets/19100.html

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1523 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BGULL:
It's up on the Ruger website:

Dang. Still ugly.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
quote:
They need to make it look cheaper.

It does have a rather "Kel-tec" look about it.

Seems to be for those that drink their own urine.

Because it’s sterile and I like the taste.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
quote:
They need to make it look cheaper.

It does have a rather "Kel-tec" look about it.

I’d rather buy the Kel-Tec lol. If this thing had wood instead of synthetic I think it would help for me.
And on the flip side, I like the synthetic as this thing would likely ride around in my truck and get beaten up. It would pain me to beat on wood, but not so the synthetic.

All I wanna know is how much and when can I buy one? Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
For the love of all that is Holy can we please stop putting recoil pads on everything? Just us mice on a hutch it's a 9mm rifle.

First thing I noticed too. Seems like a helluva lot of recoil pad for a 9mm carbine. I’ve got Rem. Mdl 700 in .270 with no recoil pad at all. Why would someone think you need a 1/2” of pad for this rifle?

ETA: I note that Roger views the recoil pad as a way to adjust stock length.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
It certainly looks very disjointed and cheap so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that it's a leaked photo of a prototype.

Also, I'd prefer if it wasn't a takedown. I don't have any experience to support this but I'd have little confidence in consistent zero with a scope or red dot mounted on the receiver.

I know the 10/22 takedown sold quite well and have heard of none of these complaints with it.
I can only presume it would carry over.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
SRP is $649 per the link above

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post