SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New Ruger takedown 9MM carbine, takes Glock mags
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Ruger takedown 9MM carbine, takes Glock mags Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
They need to make it look cheaper.

It does have a rather "Kel-tec" look about it.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

It does not. It looks disjointed.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
For those that don't want to sit through 40 minutes of his rambling, would someone please describe the problems that Hicock45 ran into?

Sounds like from Para's comment that there were some reliability issues?

Jammed twice on the first magazine, looked like a FTE followed by the next round stove piping...

Posts: 3203 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw it a month ago or so. Seem to recall a post-script that concluded the bolt wasn't going completely to the rear, failing to cock the action. That was one issue, that he felt could be remedied by using better quality 9mm ammo, hotter stuff. And a few failures to feed.
Hickock rarely slams a gun, but he was not impressed with its performance. You could tell.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He also said in Post scrip that one 30rd glock mag that gave him issues in the Ruger, worked flawlessly in the latest Glock he was testing for a later video.

He did mention of bringing another pc9 in to test and see if it was a one time issue associated with the first rifle he had.

Posts: 1662 | Location: NH | Registered: January 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I keep reading this thread, and the more I do, the more I want one of these. It's just that it's so darn UGLY!!! The old PC9 was a nice looking rifle, but the action on this seems better...and I like the Glock Mag compatibility. I could do without the takedown capability, too...IMO that's just one more point of failure created by a feature I would never use.

If Ruger made a fixed barrel version of this with an ergonomic stock design that didn't look like it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down, I'd buy one. If they'd make it piston operated (and yes, I understand the challenges inherent with this), that would be icing on the cake. Basically what I'm asking for is a 9mm Mini-14 instead of a 9mm 10/22...

Posts: 8420 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think if Ruger ditched the splinter forend and replaced it with a larger, rounded one, and all the funky angled stippling it would balance the unit out and eliminate the illusion of being bent.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
with an ergonomic stock design that didn't look like it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down

I say, let's keep pestering Ken at Hogue. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13428 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vthoky - I agree with you 100% on your point so much so that I will say this....

Ken - Get your RDE team to agree to develop a two piece stock system for this and I will send you my Ruger to use in development.....Just keep in mind when you return it to me that first production stock set will need to be field tested on my carbine by me....

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter one bit what kind of stock is on the rifle if the damn thng doesn't work, and it looks like the damn thing doesn't work.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine, who is probably the most knowledgeable gun guy I know (used to own a gun store, and has bought, shot, repaired, and sold more guns than I could ever dream of, and reloads for just about every caliber known to man) recently bought one of these. He loves the thing...every time I see him he tells me about something else he's done with it. He's got quite a few rounds through his now, of various flavors, and says it's been incredibly reliable.

I just stopped by the local gun emporium today and put my name on the list to get called when they get their next one in. They said they've been selling like hotcakes...they've had 4 in, and none of them lasted on the shelf for more than a day.

Posts: 8420 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Saw one of these live at the FFL yesterday. I can't say I liked the look of it at all. It does look rather cheap. It may not be, but the aesthetics are pretty lousy in my book.

I didn't handle it, so I don't know how substantial or well made it might have felt.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
Saw one of these live at the FFL yesterday. I can't say I liked the look of it at all. It does look rather cheap. It may not be, but the aesthetics are pretty lousy in my book.

I didn't handle it, so I don't know how substantial or well made it might have felt.

In my hand I will say it feels almost even OVERLY substantial.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
AND..... my shop had two of these rifles in stock yesterday. One came home with me. Nice feeling rifle, looks well built, trigger is nice, sights are nice, breakdown is cool as hell, Glock mags is even cooler.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Just fondled a couple in the gun store tonight, it feels like a beast. It definitely has some heft to it. Gun store guy said they have been selling well and he loved shooting his FWIW

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jman78
posted Hide Post
I am waiting for a pistol version of the pc carbine, and someone to make a decent chassis or brace adapter.

Posts: 178 | Location: St. Petersburg FLorida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Can't wait for the 45ACP barrel and breechblock. In Glock mags please.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Took my brand new rifle to the range today. 250 rounds down range, no problems, to include 25 9BPLE and 25 Gold Dot 124+P. Super freaking cool rifle. It feels great in the hand, has a good trigger, and I like the factory ghost rings sights too. Its a winner. Of course I swapped the mag well before even shooting it to the Glock configuration. Brought G26, G19, and G17 mags and they all worked perfect.

Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
PSA had a weekend deal on these for $499. Ordered one last night. Can't wait to try it out!

Posts: 1694 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A shop by me is running these at $489 pre tax for the month of June. Having trouble controlling myself.

Posts: 4652 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmparrish:
PSA had a weekend deal on these for $499. Ordered one last night. Can't wait to try it out!

Finally got to try mine out last week with my son. Shoots great. 100 rounds mixed 115gr 9mm with no problems. Accuracy wasn't quite where I wanted it to be, was shooting high at 25 yards and I forgot to bring the sight adjustment allen wrench. I think it'll be a fine addition to my collection. I will probably get a red dot for it though. My eyes seem to like that better then the traditional sights.

Posts: 1694 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post