SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    LH Deer rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LH Deer rifle Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted
What say the congregation?

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Ruger 77. I have a rh original model in .270 and it is sweet. Great trigger, solid Mauser action, good looking and sub moa. I understand the new Hawkeyes are even better with a better trigger and a true crf action.

Not quite as pretty as a Win 70, but better price and pretty much everything Ruger makes comes in lh.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12765 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would STRONGLY suggest you at least check into Tikka T3x rifles. Here's some examples:

https://www.eurooptic.com/tikk...eft-hand-rifles.aspx

Tikka's are a no-brainer as far as consistent accuracy goes. They are guaranteed sub-MOA. Tend to be slicker and smoother operating than a lot of the competition.

Winchesters and Rugers can certainly have their appeal for their stock fit and handling. Their quality is not quite up to Tikka's and while their accuracy CAN be excellent it's not as consistently excellent as Tikka's.

So anyway if you want a sure thing buy a Tikka. If a Ruger or Winchester fits you just right they can certainly be great rifles too.

If you have more Scratch you can of course build a custom rifle to your tastes. Just be willing to spend 4-5K plus!

..........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Tikka.
Love my T3x.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15254 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'm thinking of 270 - any comments?

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
A winchester's quality is not up to tikka's level? What world am I living in?

To the OP, a Good friend of mine is a lefty. He typically builds custom guns on a Ruger action.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10480 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

If it blows your skirt up, go for it. It is a fine cartridge and classic to boot.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Savage 110 Storm. LH

If you are not stuck on 270 WIN, Savage Model 99 in 300 Savage is a classic deer rifle.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

My Tikka is a 270Win & I'd say the majority of deer hunters at our ranch use 270 as well.

Posts: 15254 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been very happy with my Tikka T3 in 270. Light weight, and shoots very well.

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'll put on my flame suit and give my impressions of the Tikka. I say this as a guy who owns a T3 Hunter in .243 with a walnut stock and likes it.

It's a nice, quality rifle, not a "fine" rifle. It is very accurate, and consistent with a good trigger and a very smooth bolt. It's easy to shoot, comfortable on the shoulder and light to carry.

Where it falls short is that I admit to being something of a hunting rifle snob, and it has a series of things that irritate me.

The stock wood is average and the checkering is pressed, not cut, into the stock. The checkering is also not attractively designed and has an unusual pattern while not giving much grip.

The finish on the receiver is matte black, not a polished blue. The barrel is, however, polished blue with a proper crown.

The ejection port is oval and tiny, making manipulation of a single cartridge into the chamber inconvenient, particularly with a scope mounted. The plastic magazine is expensive, fussy to load with gloves on, and can be difficult to seat. Once seated, it seems to be reliable and mine has never come loose, which can be a risk with ejectable magazines in hunting rifles. It can not be "topped off" with the bolt open, but must be removed to be reloaded.

The entire bottom assembly (mag well, trigger guard) is plastic like the magazine.

It has a two position safety which does not permit extraction of a chambered cartridge with the safety on, while Ruger 77s and Winchester 70s have the Mauser style 3 position safety that will lock the bolt closed, unlock the bolt but still stay on safe, or fully unlock for firing. This is not a big deal on a range, but it is something to consider when hunting, and the extraction of a loaded round is all too common when crossing fences, climbing to a stand, or ending the day.

When the Tikka T3 was inexpensive, it was a fantastic buy for a reasonably attractive, very functional and highly accurate hunting rifle. Due to it's quality, and understandable good press (and internet) reviews, it has become popular, and is able to command a significantly higher price than it's design and features would otherwise earn. It is now priced right along side of the Browning X-Bolt, Winchester 70, Ruger 77, and Remington 700, while not having the fit, finish and features of those rifles.

Good for Tikka for making an excellent rifle that has captured the attention of the shooting and hunting public, and getting their price for it. I am not criticizing this rifle, but I think it is priced above it's design and features. If it were priced alongside the Ruger Americans, Savage Axis, and other entry level rifles, it would easily be the best, and I would own a boatload of them. At it's current price, it's worth taking a look at the next tier of rifles.

I own a Ruger 77, a couple of Winchester 70s, the Tikka T3, and have shot the Browning A-Bolt and Remington 700. I have also shot higher tier rifles from Cooper, Montana, and some custom manufacturers. My favorites, hands down, are the Winchester 70 and Ruger 77.

In the final analysis, the Tikka doesn't speak to me the way the Ruger and Winchester offerings at similar price points do. It does the job, but it isn't quite as convenient or pleasant to use as the other rifles, and so it's more respected than loved in my collection.

To me, a hunting rifle is more than just a tool; it should embody a sense of art as well function, and should elicit an almost undefinable pleasure or pride in its user. Tactical rifles are utilitarian, guide rifles are killing tools, hunting rifles are mystical.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12765 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Artie, I think the T3x resolved a couple of your complaints.

Can't speak to the wood nor blueing, as mine is a synthetic stocked stainless.

I do recall the T3x being advertised as being in metal, where the T3 was plastic, though the magazines are still plastic.

Haven't tried hand feeding a round, but the ejection port is shaped in a way that I think would make it a bit tougher.

I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I had a 270 for many years and I wound up giving it to a nephew. I think you will be happy with the cartridge, it'll handle anything you want to hunt with maybe the exception of a big griz. Razz

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2081 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
I had a 270 for many years and I wound up giving it to a nephew. I think you will be happy with the cartridge, it'll handle anything you want to hunt with maybe the exception of a big griz. Razz

my 45/70 is my griz rifle Smile

Picture of c_zielsdorf
posted Hide Post
My Tikka's have been awesome. Love them.
My Savage is accurate, not smooth like the Tikka.

Disabled combat vet

Posts: 1409 | Location: WY | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Savage, ruger, browning. I've heard great accuracy on tikka but have no experience. Savage typically out of the box beats semi custom guns in accuracy.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Savage, ruger, browning. I've heard great accuracy on tikka but have no experience. Savage typically out of the box beats semi custom guns in accuracy.

When sighting in the Monarch on mine, I managed 5 shots in 3 holes with about a 1.5 in spread, at 100yds.
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless on an F-Class bipod & a Nikon Monarch 4-20x50.

Hoping to get over to the 200yd range nearby soon, before making a trip for deer season.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
I would STRONGLY suggest you at least check into Tikka T3x rifles. Here's some examples:

https://www.eurooptic.com/tikk...eft-hand-rifles.aspx

Tikka's are a no-brainer as far as consistent accuracy goes. They are guaranteed sub-MOA. Tend to be slicker and smoother operating than a lot of the competition.

Winchesters and Rugers can certainly have their appeal for their stock fit and handling. Their quality is not quite up to Tikka's and while their accuracy CAN be excellent it's not as consistently excellent as Tikka's.

So anyway if you want a sure thing buy a Tikka. If a Ruger or Winchester fits you just right they can certainly be great rifles too.

If you have more Scratch you can of course build a custom rifle to your tastes. Just be willing to spend 4-5K plus!

..........dj

I’d have to strongly disagree with your comment about Winchester quality vs tikka quality. I have more than one of each of those and the Winchester’s are much higher quality in my opinion based on fit and finish. Tikkas are good because they are accurate (so are Winchester’s) but that’s where it ends with tikka.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I'll put on my flame suit and give my impressions of the Tikka. I say this as a guy who owns a T3 Hunter in .243 with a walnut stock and likes it.

It's a nice, quality rifle, not a "fine" rifle. It is very accurate, and consistent with a good trigger and a very smooth bolt. It's easy to shoot, comfortable on the shoulder and light to carry.

Where it falls short is that I admit to being something of a hunting rifle snob, and it has a series of things that irritate me.

The stock wood is average and the checkering is pressed, not cut, into the stock. The checkering is also not attractively designed and has an unusual pattern while not giving much grip.

The finish on the receiver is matte black, not a polished blue. The barrel is, however, polished blue with a proper crown.

The ejection port is oval and tiny, making manipulation of a single cartridge into the chamber inconvenient, particularly with a scope mounted. The plastic magazine is expensive, fussy to load with gloves on, and can be difficult to seat. Once seated, it seems to be reliable and mine has never come loose, which can be a risk with ejectable magazines in hunting rifles. It can not be "topped off" with the bolt open, but must be removed to be reloaded.

The entire bottom assembly (mag well, trigger guard) is plastic like the magazine.

It has a two position safety which does not permit extraction of a chambered cartridge with the safety on, while Ruger 77s and Winchester 70s have the Mauser style 3 position safety that will lock the bolt closed, unlock the bolt but still stay on safe, or fully unlock for firing. This is not a big deal on a range, but it is something to consider when hunting, and the extraction of a loaded round is all too common when crossing fences, climbing to a stand, or ending the day.

When the Tikka T3 was inexpensive, it was a fantastic buy for a reasonably attractive, very functional and highly accurate hunting rifle. Due to it's quality, and understandable good press (and internet) reviews, it has become popular, and is able to command a significantly higher price than it's design and features would otherwise earn. It is now priced right along side of the Browning X-Bolt, Winchester 70, Ruger 77, and Remington 700, while not having the fit, finish and features of those rifles.

Good for Tikka for making an excellent rifle that has captured the attention of the shooting and hunting public, and getting their price for it. I am not criticizing this rifle, but I think it is priced above it's design and features. If it were priced alongside the Ruger Americans, Savage Axis, and other entry level rifles, it would easily be the best, and I would own a boatload of them. At it's current price, it's worth taking a look at the next tier of rifles.

I own a Ruger 77, a couple of Winchester 70s, the Tikka T3, and have shot the Browning A-Bolt and Remington 700. I have also shot higher tier rifles from Cooper, Montana, and some custom manufacturers. My favorites, hands down, are the Winchester 70 and Ruger 77.

In the final analysis, the Tikka doesn't speak to me the way the Ruger and Winchester offerings at similar price points do. It does the job, but it isn't quite as convenient or pleasant to use as the other rifles, and so it's more respected than loved in my collection.

To me, a hunting rifle is more than just a tool; it should embody a sense of art as well function, and should elicit an almost undefinable pleasure or pride in its user. Tactical rifles are utilitarian, guide rifles are killing tools, hunting rifles are mystical.

I agree with this 100% and also happen to be a hunting rifle snob and I consider myself very lucky to own and shoot pretty much everything out there when I comes To bolt action hunting rifles.

I also agree with the m70s being some of the best things out there, CRF, 3 position safety, accurate. Like you said tikkas a great functional rifles but they are not fine rifles. When they were 389.00 out the door a sportsman’s they were a steal, when they were 560.00 2 summers ago they were a great buy, now at 750-800 dollars there are more option. Heck you can get a kimber hunter for that.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
All my rifles are left handed! not really, the fact is I can't see shit from my right eye even corrected.
I learned sixty + years ago to shoot left handed.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post