SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR 15 Build Pics added page 2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR 15 Build Pics added page 2 Login/Join 
Picture of JPD217
posted
Starting to feel like a kid at Christmas time. I have never owned an AR, so I decided to build one. Nothing fancy, just a basic AR, but with the parts that I want. Parts are starting to show up and I should have everything here in the next week or so.

Parts List:
Aero Precision Gen 2 stripped lower
Seekins LPK and adj. low profile gas block
DS Arms 6 position buffer tube
DPMS buffer/spring
BCM upper assembly, charging handle and pistol grip
Stag Arms BCG
Brownells B-TAC 16" 1 in 7" socom profile barrel
Magpul MOE stock
Troy 13" Alpha Rail Handguard

I hope I ordered everything I need.

I'll post picks when I get it together

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JPD217,

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Got gas tube? Wink

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I'd add an armorer's wrench, roll pin punch set and some blue painters tape. And maybe a mag well vise block. Probably not 100 percent necessary, but it'll make the assembly much easier.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Sights or optic? Or is that part of the upper assembly? As said, you’ll need a gas tube.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
If you have friends/gun club members or any source that is local that may be willing to loan basic tools such as the roll pin starters (really make working with roll pins easier), roll pin punches or upper and lower vice blocks, take them up on it...we have a quite a few people at our local gun club that loan stuff out for a build between members and it helps with the added cost of procuring such things...

If you need to purchase items...such as upper and lower vice blocks for installing lower parts kits or installing a barrel in an upper...I have a set of these blocks (inexpensive and work well)...

https://www.plastixrevolution....er-lower-vise-blocks

Amazon also offers a flat sided roll pin starter/punch set for installing the bolt release...I also use it for installing trigger guards...

https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler...5+roll+pin+punch+set

If you can borrow these items it would be good...but having them is great for other builds or maintenance/repairs.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention the gas tube, yes I have that, and we have the required AR tools here at work.

I did pick up a Bushnell AR 1-4 scope, I'll probable throw that on there until I figure out what I really want.

And I picked up a couple of 30 round magpul mags for now.

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
If you don't have any experience then you might get someone to check your work, it's not a tinker toy.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great...looks like you are well on your way Smile...

One other thing...the AERO gen2 lowers allow you to use a 4-40 set screw to retain the rear take-down pin...it makes things easier to assemble (I had a little hard time finding one that small locally but Fastnal had them...

Also, I used Teflon tape wrapped around the upper/lower tension screw that AERO uses to tighten the play between the two...I thought about blue Lok-tite but the tape has worked perfectly to keep the screw from backing out on my builds.

Edit...I second what smschulz said...I had the luxury of watching and helping to a degree, a friend well versed in AR builds before I built my own...there are good videos on YouTube but having someone experienced look at your work is better.

Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
If you don't have any experience then you might get someone to check your work, it's not a tinker toy.

I have a little experience, though not with the AR platform. I've built several LR Savage bolt guns and I'm an armorer for Sig classic and P320 pistols. Still, I understand what you are saying, we have 2 AR armorers here at the PD, I'll have them check my work.

quote:
One other thing...the AERO gen2 lowers allow you to use a 4-40 set screw to retain the rear take-down pin...it makes things easier to assemble (I had a little hard time finding one that small locally but Fastnal had them...

Also, I used Teflon tape wrapped around the upper/lower tension screw that AERO uses to tighten the play between the two...I thought about blue Lok-tite but the tape has worked perfectly to keep the screw from backing out on my builds.

Thanks, we have a Fastnal store here, I'll go pick some up.

Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Do you have some grease like Aeroshell to put on the barrel extension before->upper receiver?

https://www.amazon.com/AeroShe...4&keywords=aeroshell

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
Yes, I do.

No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Don’t forget the one gallon ziplock bag to put the lower in when you install the pivot pin detent. I have two in low earth orbit right now.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:
Don’t forget the one gallon ziplock bag to put the lower in when you install the pivot pin detent. I have two in low earth orbit right now.

Or if you want a much easier time for just a couple bucks grab one of these clevis pin. For the time and frustration saved it cannot be beat.

Posts: 239 | Location: The Great Salt Lake | Registered: November 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went with the vise grips with painters tape on them route and pressed them all in perfectly. This was on a lower build. Punches were a pain.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dryw13:
quote:

Or if you want a much easier time for just a couple bucks grab one of these clevis pin. For the time and frustration saved it cannot be beat.

I used an incredibly thin putty knife to hold the detent spring in while I got the takedown pin in. Worked for me.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:

My sheetrock ceiling got in the way of mine. Found the spring though! Big Grin

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:
Originally posted by dryw13:
quote:

I used an incredibly thin putty knife to hold the detent spring in while I got the takedown pin in. Worked for me.

Or a razor blade! I do have the tools, but I learned with a blade and I to better with it!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
I find a 10-round mag useful for sighting in and bench work too.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
So, I'm still missing the magazine catch and the BCM pistol grip, but I couldn't wait any more. Went together fairly easy thanks to the tips you guys gave. Didn't even send a detent into orbit, the razor blade trick worked great.

One of our armorers is searching his parts box looking for a magazine catch, if he can't find one I'll just have to wait for mine to come.

I'll post better pics when I get the other parts.

posted Hide Post
That is a very nice looking rifle Smile...congrats!

Edit...welcome to the addiction!

Jimmy Buffet