SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My new Browning SA22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new Browning SA22 Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
I posted a thread in the main forum about buying this rifle on a Gunbroker auction and how, after winning it, was told by the seller that the rifle had accidentally been shipped to the wrong FFL.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5120037084

Well, they got it back and got it to me, finally, and here it is. As far as I can tell, it's perfect.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Micropterus,

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
She looks like a beaut to me!

I have owned a lot of different guns over the years, and over that time have been slowly narrowing my collection down to what I use/pleases me the most. My 1958 SA22 is among my most favorites.

Whether shooting it, carrying it in the field, or just sitting back and admiring the design and craftsmanship, it never fails to put a smile on my face.

Well done, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed owning mine.

.....Just for kicks, try seeing if yours will cycle CCI Quiets...Mine does.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 884 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Very nice, a rifle to be proud to own !

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks nice. My dad has lusted after one of those since he shot one at summer camp when he was young.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
slick and svelte rifles. They are a joy

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I thought about buying a second one when it popped up locally this week. I mean, I have two sons... they each need one, right?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
right, you need 2. I have 2, one Belgium and one Japan, like and shoot both.
Barry

Posts: 62 | Registered: November 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
What a cool rifle. My buddy had one in the 1970's. It came in a leather Browning case. That little rifle was deadly accurate.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle. I don’t have one but with shooting more .22 have been looking around at these. There is a new one in Maple that looks great, but I also really love the old ones that I’ve seen come up on Gunbroker.

Hope she shoots as nice as she looks, congratulations!

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
These are neat little .22s! Congrats on your find! I picked up this Belgian (1960's) produced one a few years ago and confess that I haven't shot it much recently. Seeing your post will probably change that!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
How'd you mount the scope on your rifle? My receiver is neither drilled and tapped, nor does it have a tip off groove.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
How'd you mount the scope on your rifle? My receiver is neither drilled and tapped, nor does it have a tip off groove.

Mine has a tip-off groove. Yours should be drilled adjacent to the rear flip-up sight... you'll need to remove the rear sight and you'll see the tapped holes. Then you can use one of the cantilever mounts.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I've got the screw holes in the barrel for the cantilever mount. I didn't know they grooved some of the receivers.

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, I've got the screw holes in the barrel for the cantilever mount. I didn't know they grooved some of the receivers.

You're better off in maintaining zero with your scope mounted on the barrel

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
It cycles fine with CCI standard velocity LR lead solids. 100 rounds, no malfunctions. It's already fairly accurate and I haven't sight it in. I can break clays and parts of clays at 100 feet with it as it is. I want to leave it with open sights as long as I can. I need to get it to the range and fine tune it.

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I did a tear down and thorough cleaning today. One thing that I noticed is that the adjustment collar on the rear of the barrel is extremely sensitive. Less than a 1/4 turn is enough to make the barrel too loose or too tight. There is one sweet spot and if I'm off that spot there is either play or the barrel won't go on.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did a tear down and thorough cleaning today. One thing that I noticed is that the adjustment collar on the rear of the barrel is extremely sensitive. Less than a 1/4 turn is enough to make the barrel too loose or too tight. There is one sweet spot and if I'm off that spot there is either play or the barrel won't go on.

Leave it a little loose until the barrel is on and then tighten it up.

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I tried that but the forend needs to be off to get enough torque from your fingers to tighten the nut sufficiently.

The manual talks about an "audible click" as the ring is turned. But mine does not have that.

Edit: well shit, it looks like the barrel adjustment ring follower and spring fell out. I'll comb the floor with a magnet. But these parts are so tiny, I just ordered 5 each of the two followers and springs that go into the barrel lock. No doubt, I'll need that many over time. Roll Eyes

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Great .22 a true classic.

Hate that you had to endure the FFL/shipping drama, but glad it is home. It looks fantastic.

I had wanted one since I was a kid in the '70's and finally got one about 20 years ago.

Every .22 collection should have one of these.

HK Ag

Posts: 3496 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 64TI
posted Hide Post
I have Japanese SA 22 and was disappointed first few range trips since it didn't empty the tube and kept jamming up. This was a new purchase and greased cleaned up every thing I could think of to get it working. Finally read on Browning forum sometimes spring in feed tube is bad. Bought a replacement spring assembly and haven't had a problem since. Too bad it left the factory with shit quality springs. Glad it fixed the problem. Wish it could be made to utilize 10 22 magazines.

"Buzzards got to eat, same as worms"

Posts: 785 | Location: Oklahoma City. Oklahoma | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post